K&N Gave Me Bad MPG - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 645whp/555 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to JohnEB
Do you have a boost gauge? I know when I tried that my ecu cut boost.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

You're ECU cut boost for installing a boost gauge? Or because you installed an open air filter?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvd View Post
I wouldn't say "shouldn't" be done. I started out with a K&N cone just like he had and didn't have any problems with the way the car ran. I've seen this done with quite a few Evo's. You really only run into idle and drive issues when you replace the intake pipe.
It doesn't matter if you notice any symptoms or not, it still should not be done. Yes, lots of people do it anyway, but lots of people don't know any better or simply don't care, because all they want is the cool noise. It has a very profound affect on the way the MAF reads the incoming air, which makes the stock tune erratic. It is highly recommended not to do an intake without a tune. There's absolutely no benefit, and there is potential harm. One engine has already been damaged directly from this, although it's usually not as severe. Regardless, there's no benefit and plenty of downside. Money can be spent MUCH MORE WISELY elsewhere.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thank you for being the voice of what should or should not be done. When AMS sold me the cone filter they must've simply forgotten to mention that it could negatively affect my car. Oh wait, I did ask them that and they said "no". Sorry bud, but I'll trust them instead of your "vast" knowledge of data logging.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yeah, I bought mine right from AMS, and they didn't say a word, maybe they were too busy or just didn't care, but what I guess I really want to know is, am I better off leaving the stock airbox on? At least for now?

I mean, I put a blow off valve on and the car acted all screwy, and bogged when I accelerated and let off the gas to shift alot, and when I rode in 5th like on the highway, and would accelerate a little, it would bog awkwardly, so I took that and the filter off and said #### it, so I'm over putting something on my car to make it sound cooler.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

They just don't care. People are going to buy what they want to be, and it's not a dangerous mod that's worth explaining to people as a vendor. Hell, they sell VTA BOVs and don't tell every single person the problems it causes, because it simply doesn't matter - people will buy what they want to buy.

AMS knows it throws off the MAF and requires a retune, but they aren't going to make a big deal out of it. Cirrusly, this is common knowledge. It's not like I'm making this up...

Old 06-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Interesting...so you're calling AMS out? Wonder what they'll have to say to your accusations. You seem to know a lot for someone who didn't even know how to change his own transfer case fluid. (Yea, I hear stories about you too) You seem to base all your "knowledge" off of what you've read and then make your own assumptions.

Show me proof that AMS doesn't tell it's customers about dangers to their cars? Anytime I've ever asked them about something questionable I get an explanation from them of why it's bad. Prove me wrong oh wise one. What's really sad is people think you actually know something but all you do is regurgitate what you've "heard" or read and pass it off like you came up with it.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsing View Post
Yeah, I bought mine right from AMS, and they didn't say a word, maybe they were too busy or just didn't care, but what I guess I really want to know is, am I better off leaving the stock airbox on? At least for now?

I mean, I put a blow off valve on and the car acted all screwy, and bogged when I accelerated and let off the gas to shift alot, and when I rode in 5th like on the highway, and would accelerate a little, it would bog awkwardly, so I took that and the filter off and said #### it, so I'm over putting something on my car to make it sound cooler.
You failed to mention the BOV. Which one did you install? That could have been the culprit of your issues.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvd View Post
You failed to mention the BOV. Which one did you install? That could have been the culprit of your issues.
Sorry, well I installed the BOV (it was a greddy type s knock off) I bought it on ebay when I 1st got the car cause I used all my money to buy the damn thing. But right after I put it on and realized it sucked, I took it off. I left the filter on for months. And I still had bad MPG, which I could only assume was still partially if not all the air filters fault, am I wrong?

I've become a lot smarter since buying the car, and yes I know it was dumb to get a BOV off ebay, well not off ebay, but a knock off. I had a type s on my old eclipse and it looked identical, so I figured what the H.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

Ahh...well there's a few different scenarios that could be at play. Loose connection on the intake pipe, bad readings from the filter, fouled plugs, clogged injectors....the list goes on. If your car is working fine now, try reinstalling the filter and run another full tank of gas with normal driving. See what happens.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #26 (permalink)

Sounds like a plan, I hope the injectors aren't clogged or bad plugs already, I've only got 14,000 on the car. What about you, how many miles do you get out of a tank?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

I just filled up today with 293 miles and got 12.5 gallons out of the pump. However if I boost all the time (doesn't even have to be WOT) I will usually get around 220-230 per tank.

It's recommended that you change your plugs every 5-7K miles or so. Some people say less, some say more. If you pay attention to your driving habits and know how to read your plugs you can make that determination yourself.

If your gas mileage has gone back up I'd say your plugs/injectors are fine.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

Cool, I'll change the plugs anyways, just got back from a 3500 mile road trip. Was getting 350 to the tank with no air filter.

Any plug type/brand suggestions? Or anything I can put in the tank to clean the injectors?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #29 (permalink)

Damn 350 to a tank is phenomenal, I've never had better than 310 and that was driving like grandma!

Don't waste your money on the iridiums. Copper NGK's will work just fine gapped to .25-.28 I don't know the part number off the top of my head for the IX so you'll have to look that up or someone else might be able to tell ya. With that gas mileage I doubt you need a cleaner, the summer blends of most gas companies has enough detergents to keep your injectors clean. That and your car is relatively new I don't think you'd need to bother.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

NGK BPR7ES gapped to .026 for the VIII, but I don't know the part number for IXs - they are definitely different. If you are using stock iridiums, those should not have to be changed for a LONG time. You have no need for coppers until you start modding and racing with higher boost.. You shouldn't have to change the plugs until they are fouled out and start sputtering. Nothing wrong with changing them on a schedule, but I just keep a bunch spare and change them when the current ones go bad.

350 to a tank? Are you sure? I couldn't do that even if I coasted downhill with the engine turned off.

Please do not drive _anywhere_ with no air filter...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement