K&N Gave Me Bad MPG - Page 3 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #31 (permalink)

Unless I'm completely mistaken I'm sure he meant no cone filter, not "no filter" period.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #32 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Hopefully...

Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #33 (permalink)

Hahaha sorry I meant no cone filter, but with the stock air box.

Yeah 350ish is what I was getting, I got a lot of 320-330, and I would fill up at about 13 gallons, so there was a good gallon left, so I averaged it to 350, but yeah I pushed it to the limits and got 350.

Yeah I'm still on the stock plugs.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:01 AM   #34 (permalink)

In that case quit complaining, I'm getting about 240 miles per tank, or 21 mpg consistently and I thought that was pretty good.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #35 (permalink)

LOL....it's all in how you drive (and a little with how well your upkeep is on maintenance)
Old 06-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisocial View Post
In that case quit complaining, I'm getting about 240 miles per tank, or 21 mpg consistently and I thought that was pretty good.
Did you mod your car at all though? I was getting under 200 to the tank with just a cone filter on thats it. I guess you didn't read all the posts.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #37 (permalink)

I used to get mileage like you. When I was stock, my record was 344 before the gas light came on, and 320 with cams and mild modding. Now I get 250 untuned but am more heavily modded.

As to your problem, I've never really heard of a new cone filter killing gas mileage like that. Only thing I can think of is to try cleaning and re-oiling it and see what happens.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #38 (permalink)

Wanted, your mod level should not affect your gas mileage if you have a good tune and drive out of boost for the most part. I'm running an AMS 50 trim, AMS race head, all AMS piping (cold and hot), GSC 272 cams, 780cc injectors and a myriad of other mods and I still make the same MPG as I did stock.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:33 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvd View Post
Wanted, your mod level should not affect your gas mileage if you have a good tune and drive out of boost for the most part. I'm running an AMS 50 trim, AMS race head, all AMS piping (cold and hot), GSC 272 cams, 780cc injectors and a myriad of other mods and I still make the same MPG as I did stock.

Should not, but did. Right now, I'm on a rather rough tune. Drivable, but still rich as all hell. I know my mileage will go up with the pending tune, but I'm not expecting it to go back to my stock mileage.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #40 (permalink)

Once you have a good tune set up I'm willing to bet your gas mileage will be normal again.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #41 (permalink)

I want to know why the k&n pipe is sooo bad....? Even with a tune is it bad? I dont see how it could be its just a tube like every other one i have seen. I get about 300 a tank mostly highway... 70ish mph
Old 07-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #42 (permalink)

People always try to fight back on this even when it's a commonly-known issue in the Evo community. It is NOT just a tube like every other one. It has a very poor internal design. If you go look, you'll see a metal flap that has no business being there, which messes up the vortices and throws off the MAF.

It is the absolute WORST intake for the Evo and is a complete waste of money. A tune can help mask SOME of the detriment, but it's still not good even after the tune. The cone filter portion is fine, but the MAF pipe portion is crap.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #43 (permalink)

wow take a step down i just asked a question looking for a clear answer which you gave but I do not believe that the metal flap is there for not reason would you really think that k&n would do that... it would be a waste of time, money, and metal to go to all that trouble to add a metal flap if it didnt do something. That is just my opion and im not saying it is good or not because i have one used the K&n. I really havent had any problems with it maybe because i have a tune but ya. I really would like to see some data on this. And just so you dont go and call me stupid for buying it I didnt my father got it for me for a gift. I have always used k&n and so has he since i can remember and everyone of there produces always get great review I just want why this one gets a bad one from you. and i really have only seen the bad review from you, not saying its only you but thats what i have seen.Not trying to start a fight or anything!!! Also sorry for hi-jacking the post...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #44 (permalink)

If you can find a good reason for it being there, then I'd love to see it, but it is well-known to be a terrible design that they refuse to alter. That is the exact thing that makes it awful on the Evo. Other pipes do not have it and are made specifically to match the contour of the stock MAF pipe, since the MAF is very finicky.

It's not just from me - it's from EVERYONE who knows Evos. The only people who get it are people who don't know any better, and that's partially why K&N refuses to change it despite many many complaints from all over the Evo community. Newbies still buy it thinking it's cool, and people not in the Evo community give it to Evo owners as a gift not knowing it's terrible. And yes, people that have it and don't know any better ALWAYS try to fight back. There is a lot of data on this along with pics showing the flaw, but it's not my obligation to link you to all of it. I've given you the info, and you can choose to continue running it if you want. As I said, the Evo community at large knows the Typhoon is bad news - it's common knowledge.

FYI, saying you think the flap is there for a reason is a guess, not an opinion.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #45 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Some have ran it and had no problems. Others have put it on and had to take it off an hour later. Since you got it free, got the tune, and have no problems... Warrtalon is mainly giving a heads up to others who might think of buying it. If you were buying it would you chance $200 knowing it gives others problems?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement