Looking for a good sounding loud exhaust system - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Looking for a good sounding loud exhaust system

Whatsup everyone! One of my first Modifications would be a full exhaust system. What I'm really looking for is a loud sounding exhaust system. I know turbocharged cars are not meant to sound loud compared to a all motor car. But I know there are some out there that sound good! I'm not sure exactly what is the best parts to get because there are alot of choices to combine with the purchase of a exhaust system such as test pipes, downpipes and cats. So far, I've got my mind on the Greddy Evo2 (which I've heard is not that loud but deep), the APEX N1 Catback (I've heard sum loud ones), and last is the AMS exhaust systems (Don't know which one is best). Currently my stock exhaust rumbles during idle and I actually can hear it during low rmps. But during high end acceleration, I don't hear anything at all. Best thing I can think of is to take my time and look around before I make a mistake and buy the wrong one or have to buy a different one. But it'll be a few months before I actually purchase a exhaust system. Any suggestions? What is the most common owned exhaust system? Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: SoCal
I dont know which exhaust system is more commanly used but I used the buschur exhaust sytem because he is a pruven tuner and his exhaust sytem is 16 pounds lighter than the stock one. The only thing I dont like about his exhaust sytem is that if you use the buschur muffler which is the one I have its a little to loud, but then again you want it loud lol. I made my choice strictly on performance because buschur exhausts in my opinion dont look all that great but give you good numbers and you reduce weight on the car.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you want loud Buschur is the path to take. He has developed quieter mufflers over the years for people who don't want their ears to ring after a long trip, so if you order one specify that you want the "old school" buschur muffler on your system.

Keith

Old 09-05-2006, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

If money is no object go with the greddy titanium racing exhaust. That thing is beautiful, light and damn loud. Should fit the bill perfect. Go with a dp/tp and your ears will really ring, but people will know you mean business. Plus being its slightly larger than 3 inch and has no resonators, only a small perforated core muffler, it flows extremely well.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Buschur TBE with the Bullet muffler and test pipe. It looks good, sounds very mean, and it is quite loud. I have it on my car, and it's even louder/meaner than the previous Megan TBE I had.

Your best bet is to not just get the exhaust but to get a whole stage 1 package from Buschur (or whever you make your purchase) that includes the exhaust, mbc, bov, fuel pump, and tune.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Megan is my favorite for sounds, everyone has their choices, after a while the sound won't matter to you
Old 09-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

i dont see why theres any question about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomrguy
If money is no object go with the greddy titanium racing exhaust. That thing is beautiful, light and damn loud. Should fit the bill perfect. Go with a dp/tp and your ears will really ring, but people will know you mean business. Plus being its slightly larger than 3 inch and has no resonators, only a small perforated core muffler, it flows extremely well.
he wants something loud - titanium, catless, big dp
something that looks good - the burnt tip on the greddy Ti is a wonderful looking thing right there
oh, and what does the Ti weigh, like 8 lbs? i know for a fact the BR cat back isnt light, especially that light, because i have it.

im going with shaun on this one, dp with a catless greddy Ti. loud with great looks
Old 09-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammsteinmatt
i dont see why theres any question about it

he wants something loud - titanium, catless, big dp
something that looks good - the burnt tip on the greddy Ti is a wonderful looking thing right there
oh, and what does the Ti weigh, like 8 lbs? i know for a fact the BR cat back isnt light, especially that light, because i have it.

im going with shaun on this one, dp with a catless greddy Ti. loud with great looks

Old 09-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

It sounds like you want to turn heads...so I would get the WARRTALON stg1 from Buschur and get the bullet and the test pipe....its freakin thoaty and freakin LOUD!! Dude you will turn heads on the street and people in there cars...trust me!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree that a Ti exhaust meets his criteria, but did he also say that cost is not a factor? Those Ti exhausts are very loud, they do look neat until they get dirty, and they are very light. However, the cat-back alone costs more than most full turbobacks, and if you try to get a titanium TBE, then you're paying more for an exhaust that makes no extra power as you would for an entire stg1 package with mbc/gauge/tune making double the power (or more).

The catless BR TBE with Bullet muffler is plenty loud, very mean, and it looks nice. When I switched from my Megan, which sounded ok but not great, I couldn't believe the difference with the BR. I don't really care about sound OR looks, but I caught myself stopping and listening at how throaty and growly it was. It's far better than the Megan in terms of sound and weighs a FULL 10.0 lbs less. Yes, the BR cat-back is not as light as a Ti cat-back, but there was a magazine that tested/rated 10 cat-backs, and the BR was only 2 lbs heavier than the Magnaflow Ti. It's pretty damn light, especially with the new Bullet muffler...

Old 09-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

You do have your points warrtalon. The ti is expensive, you will get more dollar per hp by doing your staged package. However I couldnt disagree with you more about the look of the buschur exhaust. That thing is hideous, it looks like it was made at the local muffler shop by the apprentice there. And have you heard some of the high end exhausts? The ti is wonderful sounding, the buschur sounds like a honda. Matt being one of them Ive heard as well as a few other socal guys. I think you are not reading into what the guy wants, you are trying to suggest performance as #1. Whereas the question asked is about the look and sound of the exhaust, not performance. If cost is a factor you can go with the apexi gt exhaust, its loud and looks good out the back of the car, yet its much more cost effective. However he never mentioned cost being a factor, so if you have the cash go with the ti. Its about as loud and as stunna as you can get on an evo. You team that with a 3"tp/dp combo and your running only one foot and a half resonator with the rest of your piping wide open, titanium resonates more than steel, its loud. It will make people in other cars feel your exhaust rumble in there chest.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

I was suggesting performance with no lack of sounds and looks all at a good price. I don't know if you're talking about the same BR TBE that I'm talking about, but the Bullet muffler looks great. It's nothing like that POS Magnaflow muffler they sell to people who insist on keeping it quiet. It also sounds awesome. Comparing the mean, lopey growl of my exhaust to a Honda is pure tomfoolery. Maybe it's all perspective, but if you heard my car and said it sounded like a Honda, I'd like at you like you were an alien or something. And remember, I didn't and don't care about sound or looks. BR wanted me to run his exhaust instead of the Megan, so I slapped it on. The immediate improvement in sound was obvious even though I wasn't even looking for it.

In the end, if he REALLY only cares about the cosmetic parts of the exhaust, even though you can only see the muffler and tip, then a titanium exhaust may be his style. I cannot personally understand how that would be possible for an Evo owner, but then again I'm pretty narrowminded.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

come on evomrguy are you serious?...I had a Integra GSR with a Tanabe Super Racing Medallion... 107 db at idle... Now I have the Bullet and test pipe... There is no freakin way the Buschur sounds like a Honda!! NO........ WAY!!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

im the matt that evomrguy is referring to.

at our local meets most have the greddy Ti. i have a BR catback, with HFC, and HKS 2.75 dp connected to a HKS GT turbo. ive driven with both the magnaflow and the BR racing muffler, and to be honest going to the meets im embarrassed to start my car.

addmittedly there isnt a huge problem cause we're all cool at the meets, and ive got a real big turbo hanging off my motor that most there dont, along with some 272s destroying any smooth idle in case there was any doubt.

back to the exhaust....
it aint pretty, ive worked on it for a week or so, and made a trip to RRE, and the damn thing still leaks. sure its throaty and deep, but when im in high RPMS off boost its real honda. that damned buzzing and wwwwaaaaaahhhhhhh sound. i dunno how it is in the east coast and fly-over country. but in CA that is flat out rice.

i'll put up with it though because it allegedly makes the most power of a non Ti system, and i really cant afford a Ti exhaust. but you can believe me, i'll be hanging my head in shame

oh and please write back your comments about how BR exhausts never leak an im a fking moron that cant install an exhaust correctly because we all bow down to BR and they never fault. um lets see, its a pipe with some bolts and a couple gaskets. yea, i can design airplanes and put my turbo in, but this exhaust thing, i just cant get it together............thats right. its just the concept of a piece of metal, in a circle shape that allows for the evacuation of high temperature and pressure toxic gasses to a safer location, im completely baffled.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
oh and please write back your comments about how BR exhausts never leak an im a fking moron that cant install an exhaust correctly because we all bow down to BR and they never fault. um lets see, its a pipe with some bolts and a couple gaskets. yea, i can design airplanes and put my turbo in, but this exhaust thing, i just cant get it together............thats right. its just the concept of a piece of metal, in a circle shape that allows for the evacuation of high temperature and pressure toxic gasses to a safer location, im completely baffled.
There was no need to get ugly like this. Keep it civil.

Yes, mine does not leak at all and has no reason to leak. Sorry that yours does, but I have no idea why you'd hang your head in shame based on an exhaust. I have no idea how you are at high RPM without boosting either, so maybe that's why I've never heard this so-called "rice" sound. I'm the most anti-rice person you'll ever meet, so if there was even a hint of it on my car or in my exhaust, I would have nothing to do with it. The BR exhaust has to be the MOST non-rice thing in the entire Evo community. It's Ti exhausts that cost a lot, "look" nice, and make a lot of noise without making any extra power that I consider "rice." If anyone should hang their heads in shame, it's those people you're referring to who have slower cars. I spent $925 to go 12.000 in the 1/4-mile with basic mods, and since a Ti cat-back costs about that much and gets an Evo nowhere near 12.000, I can pretty much flip that "rice" comment, imo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement