Looking for a good sounding loud exhaust system - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I have no idea how you are at high RPM without boosting either, so maybe that's why I've never heard this so-called "rice" sound.
just give the car like 25% throttle in lower gears and it'll go to redline without making boost (mine stays around 100-200 mmHg vacuum all the way up). 5th gear no way, any throttle input above 3k will make boost. perhaps i am not calling it correctly, im referring to being lower than 0 psi at the intake manifold (under vacuum). understandably the turbo is always creating boost pressure, even at idle, but its still at 500 mmHg vacuum. not boosting in my book

im gonna tighten everything one more time and see if it still leaks. but since you say you have no leaks maybe you can answer me this: how do you get your V band clamps to not leak?

cause theres the looped band, then it bends to the bracket thingy where the two bolts are. right at that corner on both clamps, i cant seem to get a tight enough seal and it leaks right there. i'll upload a picture in a sec

you can see all the carbon from the exhaust leak, and where it leaks on the clamp
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
First off, you do not have a V-band exhaust, you have a slip fit exhaust where the smaller pipe slips inside the larger pipe and then the band clamp is applied. If your pipes are just butted up against each other that will cuase fitment problems as well as exhaust leaks.

You should be able to tighten it down so that the two metal blocks are touching firm on the narrow side of the joint, and just barely touching on the wide side of the joint... looks like you have a substantial gap there.

Is there any dent in the joint area of either of the pipe sections? That also could lead to a leak.

If all else fails, take the clamp off and apply some sealent (muffler mud for example) to the joint area and then put the clamp back on.

Keith
Old 09-13-2006, 07:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Do we really have to use our 1/4 mile times as a benchmark for how fast you can be? What is this ls1 tech? Its an evo, use track times, or before and after dyno numbers, I beg of you. Evos arent 1/4 mile cars. Ok so Ive got that off my chest.

Now we dont really have any extra crappy evo brands to use as the example but for example I could put on an apc intake on my honda and make the same power as the aem one it copys, but I would be damn embarassed to say that was on my car. Even though it makes as much power as the expensive aem one. That sounds alot like what you were describing warr. Would you run apc parts on your car if you could make the same power as you have now for alot less $? I doubt it, sometimes we have to draw a line. I and just about everyone in socal thinks the buschur looks like a muffler shop weekday special and I would be emabarassed to have the one mod everyone can see look like that on my $30k+ car. Is it rice to want to keep your car looking good? I dont think so. I dont think were really guilty of rice on either side of this argument, unless your running vinyl and neons though. I have heard, as I stated before, a few buschur exhausts on cars. My ti and others that have the ti's at our meets are much bassier and have a much deeper rumble than the buschur. Yet the buschur has a higher pitched sound I more associate to hondas. Between a car with a ti and the buschur, I give the annoyance nod to the buschur. That thing is not something I would want to listen to day in and day out, especially on a freeway cruise. Have you gotten to ride around in a car with a diff. exhaust than yours? Or do you mainly hang with the buschur boys and then dont tend to see some variety? That way maybe you would understand more what Im saying. I didnt mean to make this a buschur vs ti exhausts argument, hijacking this thread wasnt my intention, my intention had been to give some useful advice relevant to what the original post was asking, but I want you to see where I come from.

And yes matt, your exhaust sounds freakin terrible and does not look good. I think everyone that has heard his can attest to this. But dont be embarassed matt, remember Ive driven your car, its fast. Besides the funny looking nascar lip detracts from the funny looking exhaust so it kinda balances out.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
I don't actually hang out with any "Buschur boys" and didn't even get my BR exhaust until recently when Dave asked me to switch from my previous exhaust. Regardless, it's hard to go anywhere without encountering Evos with BR parts (specifically the TBE), because they are so highly regarded in the Evo/DSM community, and the exhaust is one of the most powerful and proven exhausts without being ridiculously expensive for no reason related to performance. No, I do not draw any correlation between a Buschur part and an APC part. To do so is complete blasphemy. Does APC as a company have tons and tons of fast cars out there all sporting their parts? Did APC put the first Evo into the 8s? How about the first DSM into the 10s, 9s, 8s, and 7s or whatever? No, there is no correlation whatsoever.

It's fine to like the look of a titanium exhaust or like the sound, but to sit here and tell me that a Buschur exhaust is more like getting an APC and that it's embarassing is quite frankly an embarassMENT to the Evo community itself. A titanium exhaust does nothing except to save 8-10lbs in an area where cutting weight is not as valuable (we need the rear weight more than front weight), and for the cost, the weight savings is extremely low. It makes sense on autocross cars in SCCA AS or circuit cars in SCCA T2, because they can only use cat-backs and want to save weight wherever they can legally. Otherwise, it's just cosmetics to seem cool in front of your Evo buddies for a large price tag.

I use 1/4-mile reference, because it's a direct measurement everyone can use. Do you want my track times at PMI or La Junta? I doubt those would do anything for you, but since you requested it, my best lap at PMI is 1:45.5, and my best lap at La Junta is 0:58.3. The 1:45.5 was the fastest lap of any car for the whole 2-day NASA event, including all classes, although it wasn't a large event due to the region being new. In my first year of auto-x (this year), I have finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 1st, and 2nd in 6 events within SM class while on stock suspension, stock rims, stock-size r-comps, and stock brakes. And yes, my total spent on power mods is still less than a full titanium exhaust. I do not feel embarassed of my exhaust when I destroy people with Titanium exhausts while participating in 3 different types of racing.

In the end, getting a titanium exhaust is fine if you have the money to burn and wouldn't rather gain twice the WHP for the same price, but for those of us with monetary limits and more concern with performance than what our snobby friends think, the Buschur TBE is great (as well as many other SS exhausts that aren't made of titanium and ridiculously expensive). Btw, my first exhaust was made by Megan that cost me $350 and was very fast but didn't sound as good as the BR. The BR sounds much meaner and has not even a remote resemblance to anything high-pitched or any Honda I've ever heard. I've also never heard any high-pitched exhausts on ANY EVO, much less one with a BR TBE, so this leads me to believe you guys have just had a bad experience or just don't like Buschur.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: SoCal
I agree with war the buschur exhaust is no where near ricer, it is a little loud and seem like it was built kinda cheap in a sense because it came with clamps but like warr said cost to horspower ratio can't be beat. My exhaust dont leak at all it just seems you didn't install it right, or got a defective one shi# hapens. Why would you worry about the way it was maid, as long as it serves its perpuse and gives you good horsepower numbers. To worry about what your friends think about how your exhaust sounds is a bit more child like and more ricer than wanting the exhaust that is pruven to get some of the best horspower numbers, not to mention with a cheaper sticker price. That is dumb to say evo's are not for 1/4 mile because people use many cars for the quarter mile srt-4's, diesel trucks, honda's and so on, you see people use there cars for whatever they want just like buschur has simce 1991, and he's runing 8 sec. quarter miles, sure this cars are great handling cars but they can be used for 1/4 mile to. Any exhaust you like and prefer is ok but just remember dont base your options on what other people think and want because there is always going to be someone that's going to disagree.

I don't like to put a specific car brand as an example but i have a group of friends that drive hondas and what they mainly worry about is what exhaust they have,what rims, lip kits and so on, they don't put much into performance besides an exhaust and intake which falls into the category of looks because they worry about what people think of their cars,and make them look fast. They would rather have an exhaust thats apealing to the eye which letes say cost 650 rather than an exhaust that looks ok but gives the most power and costs $ 400. I got my evo because I am into performance like many people here, sure I want my car to look good but I believe me they look good already. I would rather not be to flashy, but when people see my car run say dame I wouldnt think he was that fast , it would be unexpected. I think if you look flashy and fast you beter be able to back it up, but this is just my opinion.

That coment about hondas don't get offended not every honda is like that, many are fast, its just an example that I have because some of my friends are like that which there is nothing wrong with it everyone has their own views and opinions .
Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 AM   #21 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomrguy
Do we really have to use our 1/4 mile times as a benchmark for how fast you can be? What is this ls1 tech? Its an evo, use track times, or before and after dyno numbers, I beg of you. Evos arent 1/4 mile cars. Ok so Ive got that off my chest.
Because dyno comparisons unless done on the same dyno are meaningless, and track times unless done on the same track are meaningless. There are minor variations from one 1/4 mile track to another, but nothing like the differences between different road course times and different dyno results. Besides, saying the EVO isn't any good in the 1/4 mile is pretty snobbish.... just like most of the things you seem to care about.

Quote:

I didnt mean to make this a buschur vs ti exhausts argument, hijacking this thread wasnt my intention, my intention had been to give some useful advice relevant to what the original post was asking, but I want you to see where I come from.
Well that is what you have acomplished here. There are multiple different variations on the Buschur exhaust system based on the desired sound level. I prefer a quiet system so I have a Buschur bullet muffler in place of the cat, with a Magneflow muffler as the "main" muffler. Better sounding than any titanum "snob bait" on the market.

Quote:

And yes matt, your exhaust sounds freakin terrible and does not look good. I think everyone that has heard his can attest to this. But dont be embarassed matt, remember Ive driven your car, its fast. Besides the funny looking nascar lip detracts from the funny looking exhaust so it kinda balances out.
Yes Matt, you should be embarassed to hang out with people like this. Bunch of rich ricers. Don't worry, they will soon sell their "cheap Japanese crap" cars and move on to German and Italian cars anyway, and try to put the embarassment of ever having owned a Mitsubishi behind them.

Keith
Old 09-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

You guys go easy on EVOMRGUY. Sure i disagree with some of his comments but lets not be quick to shoot him down. This is like the thread about going to either buschur or ams. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions. Personally i like the way ti exhaust looks.
To much for my blood but nonetheless they do look nice.

Since were on topic, After reading this thread i can't help but to think if a few people have changed their exhaust because of the noise it makes rather than the performance it yeilds out. Never cared for how my exhaust sounded really. BTW, i've only owned apex exhausts. always gave me good power overall.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

Does it really matter if your exhaust sounds "ricer" as long as your car is fast and obvioulsy people think so, does it really matter? A good example are the Corollas and Datsuns equiped with rotaries that frequent the same drag strips I go to. I can't tell you how much I hate the sound of an uncorked rotary. They're loud, annoying and they break down all to often, but the ones that are consistent always run in the 10s or better.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

Warrtalon, first off I was not trying to say buschur was the same as apc, after reading my post over I realize thats how it came across. My point there was you were saying that brands should not matter, nor quality, as long as you make power. The first brand I think of when I hear something like that was apc. And the product I think of was the intake because they all do the same thing. Possibly a poor example. But I feel quality of a part and the look should matter, I dont feel your car should look worse after a mod. Especially when it costs you money, whether it be a lot or a little. There are quality exhausts out there that are not ridiculously expensive that also look and sound good. Espelir comes to mind. I respect bushcur and have zero problems with them, this has never been my personal crusade to slam bushur, but to answer the original posters question of which I feel you brushed over. I love companies that want to make dsms faster for cheap, I sit over at rre so much it hurts. I think 1/4 mile is the worst way to represent a part mod on an evo because of the inconsistancys generated in making passes in a awd car. I think as I had stated that before and after dyno numbers show something you can easily duplicate. Yes titanium is over priced and expensive, I dont think its snobbish though. If you could get a ti or some other high priced exhaust for the same cost as a buschur would you do it? I think so. And the reason being, it looks good. My responses have been to answer the original posters questions which I believe perfectly fit the bill. I dont think your responses are to satisfy what he is asking.

cul8vr8, I dont believe the evo is a drag car, as by its parts list and design it was not made to be. nothing on the car holds up to drag racing, mitsu designed it for rally/road course. My point being that you can do what you would like with your car, no one says you cant. However its original intention was not that of a drag car. The other cars you mentioned make much more reasonable drag cars, an srt 4. What else would you do with one, throw a set of slicks on it and knock yourself out, it doesnt turn worth any thing anyways. The diesel trucks, again why not, its not set up to do anything else but tow. An evo, and sti, these were designed to battle it out around tracks. They break less doing it too. We have a lot of hondas like that around here as well, its interesting to say the least.

Fourdoor, arent your responses great? Dyno results, before and after. That works for anyone anywhere to have proof of a measurable difference and to know a part makes hp. Yes each dyno reads different, so of course the numbers will be larger or smaller but you will see a + or a - in power production. 1/4 is solely dependant on driver ability and the weather. We in socal have days with 100 degree + weather, suddenly evos run 14s. There is a shop in the area that has built a 600hp stroked evo, its fast, but at the track the driver runs low 12's and I know its not the cars fault. My point being that regardless of weather and regardless of a drivers day at the track, a dyno will show postitve or negative gains before and after with parts. There is no dispute, like when you show your 1/4 mile times. I dont think that is being a snob. While your at it, please tell me what else I seem to care about. Id love to discuss what you think. I have been in versions of the buschur exhaust with the magnaflow muffler as well as the one matt has, every one of them looks cheap and even there owners like to comment when you get in there car about how bad the sound is, but hey at least it makes power. Great, if thats all you can afford, more power to you. But my responses have been to the original poster and you guys banging the buschur drum dont help him any, which has been my point from the get go. Ah fourdoor, your last comment couldnt be funnier or further from the truth. If you had any idea of who I was or those I would associate you would know how stupid that was. I at this time have a 2g gsx, gvr4, and the evo in my drive way. If you need clarification if your evo was your first dsm a 1g is a 90-94 talon/eclipse/laser, and a 2g is a 95-99 talon/eclipse, a gvr4 was a limited run galant with the 1g gsx drivetrain. Teh gsx means turbo all wheel drive, and a gst is turbo front wheel drive. Just in case you need some help. In my garage are multiple dsm engines and transmissions as well as a host of parts for them. I am not rich nor a ricer. I work extremely hard and long days wrenching at a dealer and after work at home to support my passion. I have never owned anything other than dsms since I could afford to buy cars, and that will not change anytime soon. Ask larry, I am probably the most hardcore dsm guy in socal that doesnt work at rre. If you had ever seen my 1g gst you would understand my passion for cars. I personally made all my performance parts on that car except for the turbo and it was a pos rocket I was proud to drive around in. I am a regular at the local junk yards for spare parts and dsm left overs for my projects, so much so I can tell you what dsms they have and when the new shipments get in. I lend a hand every chance I get to help friends in the dsm community that are in need. I have worked on matts car and and helped him out on several occasions, and lets not even talk about my tuesday night that I spent at turbolarrys house under his evo doing a clutch install for him after I got out of work at the dealership. I despise german and italian cars for there designs and exorbinant costs. I am not ashamed to treat my $35k car with nice parts and I am not ashamed to treat my $2k car with cheap but effective parts. Anytime you want to come on out and look at my drive way/ garage your more than welcome too. And if youd like to dispute my driving theres a canyon run on sunday your more than welcome to attend.

evilawd, the way I look at it is that a 3" exhaust, if high flow straight through will make roughly the same power from manufacturer to manufacturer. The only real difference is the look and sound. I picked mine to look how I wanted and sound good. I never thought I should pick one that I couldnt stand listening to day in and day out.

Shaun
Old 02-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #25 (permalink)

pics n vids?

hey guys..thanks for all your input and output. So far, i've noticed that the main exhausts to obtain would either be the Buschur tbe with a test pipe OR the Greddy Ti?? Can you guys be more specifiic on what exactly Which *ti* to get? I'm assuming you all are mentioning about the Greddy Ti tbe or catback? But basically, those are the two top exhausts i've come to think of. To sum things up, the buschur performs the best but doesn't make the evo's appearance wise stand out even more. The Ti's look awesome and perform and sound decent. My opinion would be is that it would all depend on what the driver is aiming for. As for me? I'd like to stay well balanced on looks, sound and performance. Evos were built to look good and perform great!! They are one of the fastest cars on the road.. I'm happy with the performance and looks already. My goal would probably be is to just run as fast as a 12.5 at the track. I've had my evo for going on two years when da next august hits. Right now, the only thing I'd prefer is a stronger high end..I want that high end to pull harder right after the mid end. I also would like a good sounding exhaust that isn't anywhere near as quiet as the stock one. I want something that I can learn to enjoy and for others to notice. I'm not really picky on exhausts as long as they look good, sound good and performs well. Does anybody have any pics of any of the exhausts on their car or how they sound? That would help alot in my future research.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
No, TI exhausts are not the main exhausts to get. First off, they are only cat-backs, and secondly, they are more expensive for just the cat-back than an entire SS TBE. That's a huge waste of money to only save 8 lbs. Any difference in "looks" goes out the window when the thing gets dirty in a month from being under the car. There is no Greddy TI TBE.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement