Making my game plan for new turbo setup. Input welcome! - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTED View Post
For the guys that do run the stock rail, they are also probably using injectors far bigger than they need to be and scaling them down low as well. Essentially, the only reasons they have the size injectors they do is in case they want to go with a more horsepower producing motor setup than they currently have or because they want to have that extra insurance of having enough fuel on demand, which is where you were going with your initial suggestion (I think.). A friend of mine is using 1600cc injectors (which absolutely requires a fuel rail) for this very reason.
Injector pulse really becomes an issue on the stock rail when hitting the higher duty cycles on large injectors. Essentially, when your trying to use lager injectors to their full potential depending on what you're trying to accomplish, the stock rail creates a "bottleneck" which slows down the amount of fuel being delivered to all the injectors and thus causing the "pulse."
Make no mistake, the stock fuel lines can support ample fuel demands. So too can the rail and fpr. What I'm trying to say is that by my preference, If I were considering using injectors in the 800cc+ territory, this is why I'd swap the fuel rail.

Other than that, I see no problem with the setup suggestions so far. Should be a fun setup.

Where are you getting your info? I am running 1000's on E-85 and my injectors are pushing close to 100% duty cycle with no issues.

Keith
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 645whp/555 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to JohnEB
Update

Just wanted to give a quick update on ordered parts.

Ordered so far,

AMS 780 cc injectors
AMS FMIC
AMS Fuel Rail
ARP Head Studs
HKS EVC 6
Exedy Twin HD Cerametallic
Innovate X-16 Wideband 52mm
GSC S1 Cams
Nisei UICP
Nisei Mini Battery Kit
Advan RS 18 x 9 + 29 in dark gun metallic
Bridgestone RE-01R 245 40 R18
JDM IX Bumper
Changed my mind on meth kit.... going with Aquamist HFS-5 meth/alky

Still to order,

AMS 50 Trim Kit.
Buddy Club or Apexi N1 ExV Coilover. Anyone wating to suggest a set please do.
Unorthadox Cam Gear
SS Clutch Line
Motor Mounts.... Not sure if I will do this or not.

Thats about it. I have the install and tuning setup with Justin (justdsm) for around the 2nd or 3rd week in May.

Questions comments suggestion--- please put in you input.

Last edited by JohnEB; 04-12-2007 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
- I still see no need for the fuel rail
- go with 880s
- Nesei = Nisei
- Apexi or Buddy Club coilovers!!! Please provid reasoning for these choices
- Unorthodox cam GEAR? Eh? No.
- Front motor mount is a great choice - the others are nominal

Pwnage on the rest. Just upgrade your brake system with at least some performance pads, SS brake lines, and upgraded fluid.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Fuel rail... Eh I know not needed but I did want "some" show with my go, personal choice there.

Apexi comes very recommended for $1200.00 after this build I am personaly not in any mood to spend 2k on coilovers. Please recommend something if you don't agree. I have no experience with coilovers yet need them for the rims and tires.

Unorthodox came recomended from Justin.

Yes Nisei not Nesei (F I never get that right)

Other than that I will do some upgrades on my brakes after I recover from the raping I have provided to my bank account.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

Very recommended by whom? I don't see any Evo racers or suspension gurus recommending those.

If you want to stay entry level, then I recommend the Megan Street or Track coils (your choice). Both are about $750 but with plenty of adjustability and damping. You'd then just want to get them corner balanced and aligned at 3R in the Denver area.

Unorthodox as a brand I'm not objecting to...it's the fact you said cam GEAR. You plan to get one cam gear just on the exhaust side? That is not typically done on IXs. Does he have a specific plan for adjusting the cam timing on the exhaust side manually while adjusting the intake cam timing through the MIVEC?

Old 04-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Gear yes just one. I will get an explanation and post it. Everyone who has recommended a cheap good coilover is either megan or apexi. Now whats the difference between Street and Track coils as far as performance and ride?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #22 (permalink)

Spring rates are much higher (stiffer) on the TRacks. Honestly, I've never seen anyone recommend those N1s, but you say that a LOT of people are recommeding them? Is that on EvoM or somewhere else?

Old 04-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

No just EvoM. I have a bit to decide on coilovers since the rims wont be here tell the first week of may.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEB View Post
No just EvoM.
Strange. You know I spend a lot of time there, a lot of which is spent in the Motor Sports forum where we talk about track setups and results - I haven't seen these mentioned.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #25 (permalink)

Have you considered any other alky kits?

I had the alkycontrol.com (AMS used to sell it as their own) evo 9 kit installed this last weekend, and I'm pretty happy with it. Its a progressive kit so you can set the alky to come on at a lower boost and it will increase the amount of alky in correlation to boost using a included 3 bar map sensor.

I am able to push 28psi (spike anyways) with pure methanol (as oppossed to windshield fluid like mix of around 50% water/50%meth).

It also has a gain on it so if your afr starts rising you can turn the knob and increase the flow on the fly. It also is nearly undetectable installed, I hid the controller behind the little part on the dash where you raise/lower your headlights, the alky tank replaces the washer resevoir in the trunk, and you can barely see the nozzle where it sprays into the uicp.

Not trying to sway you from the kit your looking at, but you might check it out along with the other alky kits before you plop down your money.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
Strange. You know I spend a lot of time there, a lot of which is spent in the Motor Sports forum where we talk about track setups and results - I haven't seen these mentioned.
There's quite a few posts there and just from asking people who have them. Personaly I don't need to have what a "pro driver" has at the track. Mine is for the street right now and just asking people who have them how they like them how they hold up ect... is decent enough for me. If I want to upgrade later to a great well known set of coilovers I will do so when I am more familiar with the track world. But I will def look into Megan as I hear they are decent and since you recomended them and they should perform better then stock, at least I hope.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

The problem is that people who don't actually use their coils don't know the difference. Hell, people with Tein S-techs claim the ride is "great," when in actuality they're destroying the stock shocks and making the handling worse than stock. Similar case with rear sway bars where people "feel" the car has less understeer and more tail rotation, but they don't realize that they reduced overall grip.

There are very few "pro drivers" on EvoM, but there are many "experienced" drives who know what works and what doesn't. I would take their advice any day over a random guy who just drives to work and back while claiming his suspension to be "uber," so keep that in mind when reading reviews. The best reviews are in the Motorsports forum. The less useful reviews are in the Suspension and Show'n'Shine forums.

There's quote a few posts on EvoM claiming great things about the N1s? I must just be totally missing those. In 3 years, I've never seen them mentioned at all.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Yeah I have looked into quite a few and your right, A progressive system seems to be the way to go. The aquamist may be just a bit more but I like how "complete" the kit is and how reliable it has been so far for alot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflyjmysnk View Post
Have you considered any other alky kits?

I had the alkycontrol.com (AMS used to sell it as their own) evo 9 kit installed this last weekend, and I'm pretty happy with it. Its a progressive kit so you can set the alky to come on at a lower boost and it will increase the amount of alky in correlation to boost using a included 3 bar map sensor.

I am able to push 28psi (spike anyways) with pure methanol (as oppossed to windshield fluid like mix of around 50% water/50%meth).

It also has a gain on it so if your afr starts rising you can turn the knob and increase the flow on the fly. It also is nearly undetectable installed, I hid the controller behind the little part on the dash where you raise/lower your headlights, the alky tank replaces the washer resevoir in the trunk, and you can barely see the nozzle where it sprays into the uicp.

Not trying to sway you from the kit your looking at, but you might check it out along with the other alky kits before you plop down your money.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
- I still see no need for the fuel rail
- go with 880s 780's are more than enough at this altitude. In fact my car had duty cycles in the neighborhood of 85% at 30PSI on my AMS 3076R w/ Denso 660cc/min injectors
- Nesei = Nisei
- Apexi or Buddy Club coilovers!!! Please provid reasoning for these choices
- Unorthodox cam GEAR? Eh? No. I've got some tricks up my sleeve. I'll let the dyno sheets speak for me
- Front motor mount is a great choice - the others are nominal

Pwnage on the rest. Just upgrade your brake system with at least some performance pads, SS brake lines, and upgraded fluid. I would agree, even on a mild bolt on car this is a wise investment
My comments in bold above.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #30 (permalink)

Yeah, I later asked if you had some special scheme with changing the exhaust cam timing on a IX...

I recommend 880s, because there's no downside and because at lower altitudes, he would be able to max out 780s on that 50-trim, and he'd be able to upgrade to a larger turbo later. They don't cost any extra, so it's not a bad idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement