max boltons/tunning help plz! - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

max boltons/tunning help plz!

Hello everyone ive been reading these forums for a while tryin to soak in as much knowledge as i can but im still left with a few questions.

I have an 05 evo 8 that im looking to upgrade asap. Currently i have the megan racing TBE and the hks ssqv with the upper IC pipe. now im looking to max out my boltons and get as much power as i can out of the car without touching the bottom end or any major head work. my list of parts that im looking at getting are

*comp 272 cams
*injen intake with UIC and LIC pipes
*megan racing 02 housing
*forge unos MBC
*walboro 255lph fuel pump
*boost gauge
* tune

thats what i have planned so far. if i am missing anything please let me know. i want my car running at its best without really skimping but i also wanna be cost effective.

As far as the tunning goes i have a lot of questions. I keep reading about this openecu.org and i am very unsure as to what all is involved with it. i know i need the cable to connect to my lap top but as far as actuall tunning goes im in the dark. i plan on taking it to a shop to get tunned but my tuner has never worked with this, hes used to stand alones. Also how much boost shoudl i be running on stock turbo with the current mods that i have. Any input or suggestions about anything i have listed or anything you wish to add is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 03:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
is your HKS SSQV recirculating? why would you get the injen pipe kit if you already have the hks upper pipe? the injen intake and IC pipes relocates the BOV and certain BOV's will hit the fan shroud with that kit. Look into ETS parts. they have a awesome IC pipe and FMIC kit. ETS's intakes is one of the easiest to tune for. you need a boost gauge now.....should have been the first mod. also if you want to max out your stock turbo you will need some alky injection. a ported and coated mani would be a nice upgrade, if your going to do the o2 housing you might as well replace the mani and try to get a evo IX turbo.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo View Post
is your HKS SSQV recirculating? why would you get the injen pipe kit if you already have the hks upper pipe? the injen intake and IC pipes relocates the BOV and certain BOV's will hit the fan shroud with that kit. Look into ETS parts. they have a awesome IC pipe and FMIC kit. ETS's intakes is one of the easiest to tune for. you need a boost gauge now.....should have been the first mod. also if you want to max out your stock turbo you will need some alky injection. a ported and coated mani would be a nice upgrade, if your going to do the o2 housing you might as well replace the mani and try to get a evo IX turbo.
* My BOV is not recirculating but i do have the hks eids installed.
* I want to replace all necessary pipes so if you know of a kit that has everything else but the upper pipe that would be awsome.
*Guess i can hold off on the 02 housing. right now im just looking to stay stock turbo and maximize power with that.
* boost gauge should have been my first mod>.<

Should i go with 280 cams instead of 272's?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

recirc for the most power unless you want to go stand alone ecu. the eids just makes your ecu see false readings from the mafs. get a hks SSQV recirc kit and get rid of the eids. with the ETS kits you can purchase it piece by piece or as a whole kit. they will also put a different BOV flange on the UICP if you wish. the cams are up to you. 280's are very aggressive and typical used with a upgraded valvetrain. you will need to rev higher to use all there power.....the stock turbo is not so good for this because psi falls off in the top end. 272's are a good set and what most stock turbo people go with. if you want low end torque and top end look for the 264/272 combo. Get a boost gauge!
Old 05-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks a lot for the info, greatly appreciated. boost gauge is already ordered. think im gonna go with 272's. Im not looking for gobs of power just yet, just looking for a quick clean set up. will this open ecu software be enough to tune my car?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

the 272's are great for a mid to high powerband, the 280's are way up there. the ecuflash is a awesome tuning tool. I have seen many close to 600whp evos just tuned with this software. My suggestion is there is a good write up on here but take it to a tuner if your new to ecu tuning. also a whideband AFR gauge is ideal if your going to street tune! where exactly are you located at? I'm in Md i know some people and awesome places to go around the md area.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

im from central PA i have a tuner but like u said hes planning on street tunning it which he really dosent like to do.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

check out cbrdspeedfactory.com they are the only place i would go! chad and caleb know there stuff! also sign up on mdspeedlounge.com its a local forum for people in or around MD. we are small but lots of evos and eveything else.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

ok so heres where i currently stand with my parts and info, all of which i have orderd

* turbo xs MBC
* kelford 272 cams
*AEM wideband with gauge
* boost gauge
* custom charge pipes
*24x12x4 with 3in inlet and outlet intercooler
*ACT 6 puck clutch with fly wheel.
* AEM intake
We are still running the stock turbo for now and trying to see what numbers we can pull out of that. I think we are shooting for around 25-28 psi but we are a little worried about heat soaking. Does anyone know where i can find a flow chart for the factory turbo or how much power im capable of pulling out if the turbo? any questions comments or advice is always greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Also for the oh so dreaded question. with my current list of mods what power should be expected out of my setup.

* turbo xs MBC
* kelford 272 cams
*AEM wideband with gauge
* boost gauge
* custom charge pipes
*24x12x4 with 3in inlet and outlet intercooler
*ACT 6 puck clutch with fly wheel.
* AEM intake
*megan racing TBE
*walboro 255
Old 06-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

^^it will depend on the tune. also i would say 24-25psi is about max on the stock turbo unless you add alky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement