megan racing! - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Midwest
megan racing!

I'm currently looking for a complete exhaust system including dp and tp. i hear for the price and quality that megan racing is tough to beat. and from my research they're prices are pretty damn good and they also look nice (the turbo back w/ burnt tip). does anyone have any experience with them? and if so how is the performance and sound? i have an 03 evo 8.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I think Warrtalon used to run a Megan system before he switched to Buschur. Try asking him about it.

Keith
Old 09-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
it's a great exhaust, i'm running a full TBE from tsudo which is the logic performance exhaust. the megan is great from what i hear! Good luck and post up the pics when you get a exhaust!

Old 09-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Tsudo = LP = Megan = Ebay = Helix, etc etc. All the same pipes with robotic welds made in China.

I had the Megan (actually Megan DP/TP with Logic Perf cat-back, but same thing), and I had no issues with it whatsoever. It was plenty fast as you can see with the times in my sig. It was loud, which I didn't like, but my Buschur TBE is even louder. I also didn't like the 5" tip, but that's really just a cosmetic thing. It fit perfectly, although the DP rested very close to the trans due to not having spacers, but it didn't bother me, and that's only an issue on 05/06s due to the ACD.

One of the downsides to it is that the test pipe is resonated and therefore only 2.5" or so of inner diameter, whereas my BR TBE has a true 3" test pipe. It also is a full 10.0 lbs heavier than my BR TBE, which is significant for an exhaust.

I actually still have my Megan and am trying to sell it

Old 09-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Tsudo = LP = Megan = Ebay = Helix, etc etc. All the same pipes with robotic welds made in China.

I had the Megan (actually Megan DP/TP with Logic Perf cat-back, but same thing), and I had no issues with it whatsoever. It was plenty fast as you can see with the times in my sig. It was loud, which I didn't like, but my Buschur TBE is even louder. I also didn't like the 5" tip, but that's really just a cosmetic thing. It fit perfectly, although the DP rested very close to the trans due to not having spacers, but it didn't bother me, and that's only an issue on 05/06s due to the ACD.

One of the downsides to it is that the test pipe is resonated and therefore only 2.5" or so of inner diameter, whereas my BR TBE has a true 3" test pipe. It also is a full 10.0 lbs heavier than my BR TBE, which is significant for an exhaust.

I actually still have my Megan and am trying to sell it
so would u recommend getting a different 3" tp maybe? and if so it would still fit with the megan dp right? thanks for your reply.
and what is the condition of your dp and tp? how much did u want for it?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm only interested in selling the whole exhaust. The condition of the whole thing is just like when new except for the exterior, which is dirty and discolored (not rusted) from all the heat. If you've seen the Megan (or those other identical ones) exhausts when new, they are super shiny, but that goes away in a hurry when they get hot. Same thing happens to Megan tubular manifolds and o2 housings. They turn an ugly mix of brown and blue like smeared water color paintings.

If you want the Megan DP and CBE but with a different TP, then you just need to find a full 3" non-resonated test pipe that is flanged on both ends. I don't have a suggestion on what meets those criteria.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

a friend of mine told me that a tp will badly reduce my mpg, is that true? if so how much? or does anyone have any input on exhaust systems and how/if they effect mpg? i run shell v power daily, if that helps any.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

No, that's ridiculous. It has nothing to do with your gas mileage other than making more power and therefore using a LITTLE more fuel, but it's nothing you'd notice.

Why are you worried about gas mileage when getting an exhaust? I'm confused. An exhaust is for making power, and Evos don't get good gas mileage. An exhaust doesn't make it any worse other than making more power than stock.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluckyp
a friend of mine told me that a tp will badly reduce my mpg, is that true? if so how much? or does anyone have any input on exhaust systems and how/if they effect mpg?
Adding a test pipe or an exhaust will not reduce your MPG. The biggest factor in MPG is your right foot and boost.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, that's ridiculous. It has nothing to do with your gas mileage other than making more power and therefore using a LITTLE more fuel, but it's nothing you'd notice.

Why are you worried about gas mileage when getting an exhaust? I'm confused. An exhaust is for making power, and Evos don't get good gas mileage. An exhaust doesn't make it any worse other than making more power than stock.
i wasn't really worried about it till my friend brought it up. he was suggesting keepin the cat. converter. i figured u guys would no more, so just wanted to double check and make sure it wouldn't be anything noticeable.
so just to clarify before i buy, i will soon be getting a full tbe. i've been reading a lot of these forums and read something about the O2 sensors, do i need that?? could someone give me some info on that part. thanks for your advice.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
There is an O2 sensor after the cat. It's just there to make sure the cat is working. If you run a test pipe with no type of fix, it will trip a check engine light. You can run a partially drilled out antifouler or something like this "CEL Eliminator" (scroll down);
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo.htm

Old 09-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah, you don't "need" an o2. You already have two of them, but at Larry said, when you replace the cat with something like a test pipe, the rear o2 will trigger a CEL unless you get some sort of CEL fix. This is just a very minor thing, and all the fixes are very cheap. If you get a BR TBE, it already comes with one screwed into the bung.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

just ordered my megan tbe, and wondering if this ebay item will work for the cel fix
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CEL-F...spagenameZWDVW
Old 12-29-2006, 03:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

If you have the megan it wont trip the cel. I am currently running megan Exhaust manifold, DP,and Res. Havnt had any problem and its been 8 months. Like it was stated in the earlier posts my Ex. Manifols doesnt look so new. but power wise I think it is great, and the Exhaust is Not at all Loud. Nice deep tone at idle, and get abit louder when on the gas. definently not like a honda civic type loud.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

I got a Megan Racing test pipe and it threw a CEL that stubbornly refused to go away until I had a mechanical fix done, and it never came back since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement