Need Advice on piping - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Need Advice on piping

Last night, I hit a curb and hit the driver's side IC pipe connected to the FMIC. Is that the lower or upper portion of the IC piping system? I assume it's the upper portion cause it connects towards the throttle body. I wouldn't wanna get these mixed up when purchasing a oem one or aftermarket. My question is...Should I get another OEM pipe for the damaged pipe that hit the curb hard or get a aftermarket one and which one is best nowadays for the EvoVIII? Due to the damage done to the pipe, obviously limited air could go through to the FMIC and currently it's not boosting as much. As a matter of fact, it feels like the car is N/A. My plan now is to just let the car sit and make it a home project since it'll save mileage and etc. Luckily the curb didn't damage anything major or exterior wise. Thanks for your help.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
that pipe is the lower portion of the upper pipe if that makes sense. You may want to do a boost leak test beause your IC might be damaged and leaking if you said there is a major loss on power. AS for IC pipes it will depend on if you want to run a small battery or not. I have the turboxs IC pipe kit and it fits with all the stock parts like battery and airbox. ETS is also a great pipe set, but you have to add more to the price to get it around the stock battery. Thos would be my 2 choices, but first get the car looked at and determine if you need a new IC also.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo View Post
that pipe is the lower portion of the upper pipe if that makes sense. You may want to do a boost leak test beause your IC might be damaged and leaking if you said there is a major loss on power. AS for IC pipes it will depend on if you want to run a small battery or not. I have the turboxs IC pipe kit and it fits with all the stock parts like battery and airbox. ETS is also a great pipe set, but you have to add more to the price to get it around the stock battery. Thos would be my 2 choices, but first get the car looked at and determine if you need a new IC also.
If the lower portion of the upper pipe is called the lower Ic pipe, what is the passenger's side called then? Yea, currently the lower portion of the upper ic piping is crushed in but the it's only crushed up to the FMIC outlet. The FMIC is fine luckily; all I need is either a OEM lower portion of the IC Piping. I was just wondering if I should replace just that part or get the whole lower portion and upper portion since they all connect together from the throttle body to the FMIC outlet. I'mma probably need an alignment also since I hitt hat bump pretty hard and went over it. Due to the lower pipe being crushed in, there's not enough air passing through to the FMIC outlet and it takes awhile to climb past 3k rpm without the proper air. Let me know! Thanks

Old 11-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

no its not called the licp. the side you damaged is the upper but you damaged the lower part of it. the licp is refering to your passenger side pipe off the turbo. I think you have a major leak so go get it checked out
Old 11-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

damn sorry to hear that. Personally If you are planning on modding the car I would choose an aftermarket Upper intercooler pipe kit preferably one that uses a small battery kit. You take weight out plus get a straighter pipe for air to move through. Those are good enough reasons for me. More power and less weight!! I bought the injen intake and intercooler pipe 4 years back when I was a noob. Now im getting the one im telling you too get. hope everything goes well.
Upper pipe is from Thorottle body to intercooler
Lower is from the turbo to the intercooler
Old 11-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Evolutio-8 View Post
damn sorry to hear that. Personally If you are planning on modding the car I would choose an aftermarket Upper intercooler pipe kit preferably one that uses a small battery kit. You take weight out plus get a straighter pipe for air to move through. Those are good enough reasons for me. More power and less weight!! I bought the injen intake and intercooler pipe 4 years back when I was a noob. Now im getting the one im telling you too get. hope everything goes well.
Upper pipe is from Thorottle body to intercooler
Lower is from the turbo to the intercooler
Yea, I'm still a newbie but I'm trying. I researched and I'd like to get the Buschur lower & upper but you also have to purchase a small battery kit and a speed density kit to run all of their pipes and intake system when I am ready to purchase it all. For now, I was gonna get the AMS piping since theirs claim to be 3inch or 2.5inch on the site their selling it at. 2.5inch and higher is what I'd like on all piping internally. I also gotta get a mini battery kit too; total cost is at least 5-600dollars invested in piping fitment. Other then that, I gotta cruise with it like it is to work and back for a few days and then let the car sit until I have all the parts. Thanks guys.

Last edited by yangs4ever4g63; 11-16-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

update

I just put all the piping back the way it was and took it for a test drive. Last night it was driving above 40mph ok but now it won't go past 40mph. It seems to struggle to climb higher. Feels like not enough airs going through to get boost. I'mma try and find a replacement pipe for the damaged one and get a boost leak test run. Hopefully no other problems are existing. Car also smells funny, running rich/lean?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

it is running way rich and you have a major leak. the air isn't making it into the motor because of your leak. your lucky the car is not stalling out. dont try to boost it because you damage something. Just get the parts you need to replace and then it should work fine.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks

Quote:
it is running way rich and you have a major leak. the air isn't making it into the motor because of your leak. your lucky the car is not stalling out. dont try to boost it because you damage something. Just get the parts you need to replace and then it should work fine.
Thanks bro, Yea that time I drove it...It would only drive fine if I'm going at or below 40mph. Above 3/3.5k rpm it'll struggle and the car would shake. It also wouldn't rev past 5krpm. I'mma wait until I get the pipe I need and change the spark plugs when I'm ready. Hopefully that's the only problem. Thanks
Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

its sounds like you have a major leak. something is loose or there is a hole in something. also changing your spark plugs will be a good idea after you fix the problem.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

hmm

Quote:
its sounds like you have a major leak. something is loose or there is a hole in something. also changing your spark plugs will be a good idea after you fix the problem.
Thanks bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement