Need final exhaust advice - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Need final exhaust advice

Ok guys, Any day here I'm going to make a final exhaust system choice. I have a few questions to ask before I make a final decision.

My choices because of my goals and budget:
*Greddy Ti-C
*Hks carbon Ti

Only problem is I really wanna go TBE and those choices listed above are only CBE'S!
I also need a new DP since mines is all dented up from going on this one bumpy dirt road long ago.

My question is, Out of the two above, which one is more worthy to acquire and is it possible to buy a DP and TP from somewhere and which ones would fit along with the greddy or hks cbe. I know there are possibilities out there but I would like to know from the more experienced people's opinion and expertise.

I was originally planning on going with a full tbe like the AMS or Megan but I heard the Megan could crack or cause leaks. AMS sounds really good but its $900 and thats before all tuning costs. But if I really sum it all up; It'd probably be $900 total if I did find Dp's and tp's for a CBE after all's said & done.

I'm not fully aiming for just power output; only overall money's worth in looks & decent power.

If you don't think the dents on my current stock DP will not affect the performance of my car..then I'll just get a CBE from the ones listed above.

Let me know what I can do! Thanks again!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
I don't understand how you can mention the words "goals and budget" then list the two most expensive CAT-BACKs on the market that do nothing for you except cost a ton and save about 8lbs (negligible for you). You can buy full turboback exhausts for LESS than the cost of those cat-backs, so if you have a budget, then I have no idea why you'd want those. In fact, you could probably get a TBE, MBC, BOV, fuel pump, and a tune for the money you plan to spend but you'd have 70whp over stock instead of 25.

There is no real difference between those two - either can be mated to whatever test pipe and downpipe you want.

The Megan isn't great, but it does not "crack or cause leaks." I am not sure where you heard that about an EXHAUST. That is only a problem with the exhaust MANIFOLD - a completely separate part on the other side of the turbo. $900 for the AMS isn't more than you'll spend for a titanium cat-back, and tuning costs will be the same either way.

The dents on your DP don't affect performance much, but the stock DP itself is a restriction compared to aftermarket.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you want power, get a downpipe first. The cat-back is not nearly as restrictive as the stock downpipe.

You do not NEED a tune for an exhaust. The MAF will adjust very well to a turboback and advance timing based on the increased scavaging effect. But of course if you want the full benifits of all your parts, then tuning is the best bang-for-buck option.

Every HKS exhaust I've seen is not a true 3". They have neck downs at the flanges which will disrupt airflow. And don't waste your money on titanium. As stated above it's a waste of money for the slight weight savings that won't do you a bit of good on a full weight street car. Only thing it's good for is emptying your wallet and having the very short lived moment of "cool" when you tell someone it's Titanium.

Buschur, AMS, RMR, etc....stick to a full 3" exhaust made from stainless steel. It will last longer than your car, will sound great and will cost less in the long run.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with Warr. buying a titanium exhaust is not worth your money...

I own an AMS tbe, which i was able to piece together through buying the dp and cb used and the tp i puchased new. All together, it came to about 650 or so... not bad for an AMS piece.

I really enjoy my exhaust, except for the three bolt flange design, which does not bolt up nicely to any other exhausts. But that has to be my only complain (esp. when it comes time for emissions testing at which point i have to take off the entire exhaust, not just trade out the the tp like other TBE).
I would really suggest checking around for used exhaust parts and putting it together yourself, you can def. save some money, which can be used for mbc, fuel pump, tune, etc... Just be smart about it, ask a lot of questions, and get plenty of pictures so you know exactly what you are getting.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

alrighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
I don't understand how you can mention the words "goals and budget" then list the two most expensive CAT-BACKs on the market that do nothing for you except cost a ton and save about 8lbs (negligible for you). You can buy full turboback exhausts for LESS than the cost of those cat-backs, so if you have a budget, then I have no idea why you'd want those. In fact, you could probably get a TBE, MBC, BOV, fuel pump, and a tune for the money you plan to spend but you'd have 70whp over stock instead of 25.

There is no real difference between those two - either can be mated to whatever test pipe and downpipe you want.

The Megan isn't great, but it does not "crack or cause leaks." I am not sure where you heard that about an EXHAUST. That is only a problem with the exhaust MANIFOLD - a completely separate part on the other side of the turbo. $900 for the AMS isn't more than you'll spend for a titanium cat-back, and tuning costs will be the same either way.

The dents on your DP don't affect performance much, but the stock DP itself is a restriction compared to aftermarket.
Alright, since you say I can get all of those mods and supporting items; give me a list of all the parts I can get for my car and where I can buy it @ that price and note: my car is still stock except a k&N cone filter. My budget is $1k and the tune has to be included with that. Give me some good products and a worthy route to take and I might just exactly follow your advice. Thanks $1k just for now!

Some examples of my assumed goals:
*Sleeper Evo; Mbc(max psi safely 22-23psi), Fuel pump, tune = $5-600 total after everything without aftermarket exhaust; maybe electronic cutout($175)

*Normal route; tbe w/testpipe(ams)$900 before shipping, tune$300 = $1200+
*Normal route + mbc, fuel pump, tune = $1500

Thanks again
Old 05-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Forge UNOS MBC = $85
Walbro Fuel Pump = $90
JDM MR DV or used IX DV (same unit) = $50-100
Megan TBE = $550
EcuFlash E-Tune = $150-200 + $90 for Tactrix cable

Total = $1015-1115

You should hook up with Lucas English in the Northwest for expert tuning, but I am not sure of his exact offering with e-tuning. If you're close enough, you can get direct tuning, but e-tuning works great for people who aren't located right next to a tuner. It just requires a laptop, the free EcuFlash software, and the $90 Tactrix cable (tutorial here in the tuning forum and tons more info on EvoM). There are tons of new tuners out there who offer very low prices for unlimited re-tunes via email. You just use your tools listed above to flash the ECU yourself using the tuned ROM they give you.

In fact, we have two right here on this forum if you'd like to reach out to them:
Brian - screenname Tobz
Justin - sreenname JustDSM

Old 05-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok...

Quote:
Forge UNOS MBC = $85
Walbro Fuel Pump = $90
JDM MR DV or used IX DV (same unit) = $50-100
Megan TBE = $550
EcuFlash E-Tune = $150-200 + $90 for Tactrix cable

Total = $1015-1115

You should hook up with Lucas English in the Northwest for expert tuning, but I am not sure of his exact offering with e-tuning. If you're close enough, you can get direct tuning, but e-tuning works great for people who aren't located right next to a tuner. It just requires a laptop, the free EcuFlash software, and the $90 Tactrix cable (tutorial here in the tuning forum and tons more info on EvoM). There are tons of new tuners out there who offer very low prices for unlimited re-tunes via email. You just use your tools listed above to flash the ECU yourself using the tuned ROM they give you.

In fact, we have two right here on this forum if you'd like to reach out to them:
Brian - screenname Tobz
Justin - sreenname JustDSM
Alright..your setup sounds doable. There is a evo tuner near me called Topspeed; their known for gr8t results. If its better with the laptop setup like you mentioned earlier..i'll go with that since I own a laptop. I can't find the megan tbe for $550 like you said.. Do you know where? The lowest I can find one for is $660 @ lancershop.com Even the Megan site doesn't sell the TBE that I know of. I was gonna go with the AMS MBC, Is forge better?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh, for some reason I thought you were in the NorthWest. TopSpeed is a well-known Evo shop. I even lined up against their race car at the Mitsu vs Subie shootout a few years ago in NJ. However, they probably charge normal prices like in the past as opposed to the E-flash tuners who charge way less and give unlimited retunes. You will want to ask them if they provide an EcuFlash service like that, because if not, then it will probably cost $400 or so.

No, the AMS MBC is plain. Do either the Forge UNOS or the Hallman Pro. The Forge is my favorite, because it is the only one with clicks so that you know exactly where you are when setting it and can easily reset it to the exact same spot if you forget or if someone messes with it.

Don't shop at places like Lancershop - they are just an Internet whore, not an actual Evo shop. It's just a business that picks new domain names for each car type and re-sells everything. They don't actually know anything about Evos or have a real shop with built Evos, etc etc. Not that their business model isn't helpful or useful, but I would suggest going with a shop that has people who actually own and build Evos. $660 is very high for a Megan TBE...they are even sold for $500 some places, but I don't buy parts, so I don't know where to send you. Try NoLimitMotorsport.com, TTP-engineering.com, ExtremeTurboSystems.com, etc. The Megan isn't that great of an exhaust either, so don't limit yourself to that one.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Keep your eyes open for some vendors online as well, they tend to offer products like these in the price range you are looking for... even if they may be "internet whores"
Old 05-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks

Quote:
Oh, for some reason I thought you were in the NorthWest. TopSpeed is a well-known Evo shop. I even lined up against their race car at the Mitsu vs Subie shootout a few years ago in NJ. However, they probably charge normal prices like in the past as opposed to the E-flash tuners who charge way less and give unlimited retunes. You will want to ask them if they provide an EcuFlash service like that, because if not, then it will probably cost $400 or so.

No, the AMS MBC is plain. Do either the Forge UNOS or the Hallman Pro. The Forge is my favorite, because it is the only one with clicks so that you know exactly where you are when setting it and can easily reset it to the exact same spot if you forget or if someone messes with it.

Don't shop at places like Lancershop - they are just an Internet whore, not an actual Evo shop. It's just a business that picks new domain names for each car type and re-sells everything. They don't actually know anything about Evos or have a real shop with built Evos, etc etc. Not that their business model isn't helpful or useful, but I would suggest going with a shop that has people who actually own and build Evos. $660 is very high for a Megan TBE...they are even sold for $500 some places, but I don't buy parts, so I don't know where to send you. Try NoLimitMotorsport.com, TTP-engineering.com, ExtremeTurboSystems.com, etc. The Megan isn't that great of an exhaust either, so don't limit yourself to that one.
Thanks again; looks like the AMS TBE is the best shot compared to the others. That means I won't be able to tune and buy the other parts until sometime later. The Forge Mbc sounds good.. might get that later also. I just like the way the greddy and Hks looks.. If I could, I'd get the Greddy for $500 and find a dp later that'll fit for it. If you don't have any other suggestions, AMS is the choice. That'll fill up my budget QUICK!
Old 05-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Why stuck on the expensive exhaust side? All the other parts cost half as much but make way more power. I'm confused.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

oh I see

Quote:
Why stuck on the expensive exhaust side? All the other parts cost half as much but make way more power. I'm confused.
So, forget the AMS and go with your setup? makes more power obviously with all of the supporting aftermarkets! You said the Megan wasn't all that great so that turned my head away from Megan.. Alrighty, final decision!

On the sites you gave me...
*Greddy Evo2 seems to come with a DP but that Dp has major bends going neck down; which isn't gr8t! I can get that for $570 shipped free or $515 before shipping from two of the sites you gave me and STILL get the mbc, fuel pump & tune and look for a matching TP later. Can't find a Megan Tbe for under $500.....

If that sounds reasonable to you buddy, I can go the Greddy way and still make decent power...Or just go back to the Megan setup you mentioned earlier? Let me know as the conclusion!

P.S. Will any DP/TP fit onto any exhaust..If I go Greddy; It'll be custom TBE later on, but I need to find the correct Dp's and tp's for it.

Thanks

Greddy Evo2 Exhaust System: No Limit Motorsport
Old 05-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

No, don't do the Greddy Evo2 - it is not a full 3" and is proven to make significantly less power than the good ones (i.e. Buschur, AMS, etc.). I would do the Megan before the Greddy Evo2. The Megan is fine, and I had it for almost 2 years, but it's heavier and not quite as powerful as the Buschur 3" w/Bullet muffler that I have. The AMS and Buschur are about the same in cost, performance, and weight. Most Evo DPs and TPs will fit each other, but some are different, so you have to be careful. It's less common for one not to fit, so those are the exceptions.

Just try to get 3" all the way through.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

alright!

Quote:
No, don't do the Greddy Evo2 - it is not a full 3" and is proven to make significantly less power than the good ones (i.e. Buschur, AMS, etc.). I would do the Megan before the Greddy Evo2. The Megan is fine, and I had it for almost 2 years, but it's heavier and not quite as powerful as the Buschur 3" w/Bullet muffler that I have. The AMS and Buschur are about the same in cost, performance, and weight. Most Evo DPs and TPs will fit each other, but some are different, so you have to be careful. It's less common for one not to fit, so those are the exceptions.

Just try to get 3" all the way through.
Megan it is then! Gotta buy it through lancershop though because there is nowhere else for cheaper! O2 housing with it or no? I'm guessing no since I'm on a budget! But yea..I'mma go with your setup and see what the outcomes are! If you have any estimates on what I'll be achieving as in whp, 1/4times, etc, let me know. Thanks

P.S. When I purchase the Megan; are there anything else I can purchase as in a better tp/dp to make it better?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Well, the o2 housing is one of the best bang for the buck parts, because it's $100 or so and worth ~.10whp. The Megan TBE is a full TBE, so it wouldn't make sense to purchase yet another DP/TP unless you were going to only get the cat-back. If you do just the Megan cat-back, then consider doing the all-in-one DC Sports downpipe/testpipe. It's one piece for both parts, which is easy, but it also keeps you from being able to swap in the stock cat for inspection. With the Megan setup (and most others), you can just swap out the test pipe for the stock cat whenever necessary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement