Need help with MBC install - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Need help with MBC install

Most of the install is pretty straight-forward, but I'm stuck at the part where I have to remove the intake tube from the turbo. The damn clamp is fastened so that the bolt to loosen it is at the bottom of the pipe, which makes it virtually impossible for me to reach.

I'm at the end of my rope here. I've been struggling with this for, no lie, 2 1/2 hours trying everything I could think of to get the damn thing off. It's too dark to try anything else now, but I'd like to know who else has run into this problem, and what you did to get by it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
So, you can't get to the t-clamp where the MAF pipe connects to the turbo inlet, because the t-bolt is under the rubber pipe?

If so, then I recommend going at it from underneath the car. Remove the undertray, and it should be very easy to access.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's what I was afraid of.

I was hoping there was some kind of tool or something that would work. In the pictures posted by turbolarry in the "How To" section, it looked like he was using some sort of flexible extension.

If I have to go underneath the car, it looks like it'll have to wait until next weekend.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

What, the undertray is fun. There are only a measly 16 push pins to remove
Old 04-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Are the pins the same as what was holding the snorkel on?

If so, I didn't find those difficult at all to remove.

So next weekend the plan now will be: ss clutch line, ss brake lines, LICP, TBE and now MBC. Looks like the father-in-law and I will be having some fun...
Old 04-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Heh, they are the same, but they are upside-down, so you will find them VERY DIFFICULT to deal with. They're the most frustrating thing to deal with on the car. You'll find out unless you have a special tool for removing them.

Be sure to get tuned when you add all that stuff, and you'll be golden.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
In the pictures posted by turbolarry in the "How To" section, it looked like he was using some sort of flexible extension.
Yup, that's how I was able to reach mine. The first time is a pain in the ass.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow you got the father in law out there helping, that is some family bonding right there.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, the first time removing that clamp can be a pain in the a$$, however, the bolt on it usually points forward (the one act of kindness on mitsubishi's part, sort of.). All you really have to do is get a ratchet (i use a 1/4) with a 10mm socket. I prefer deep cause it gives you more room (with what little you have) to loosen the bolt. Your basically removing it blind if you can get your arm down there, and btw wear gloves of some kind as the radiator will slice you up.
FYI, the undertray is also somewhat time consuming to remove and you'll find yourself cursing everytime you break or strip the plastic retainers that hold it in. I'd buy a few extra ones just in case.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I was going to buy some additional clips when I was at the auto parts store this past week, but they had a number of different styles (from different manufacturers), and at the time I wasn't sure what to get.

Now that I know what they are, I'll probably grab one from the snorkel attachment and bring them in to the store to match up.

BTW, they're forecasting snow and 30 degree temperatures for the weekend, so it looks like I'm going to have to put off the install for a week or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement