Next Set of upgrades! - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Next Set of upgrades!

Just want to get opinions of the next set of parts I have decided to get.

Currently I have a Megan TBE, Forge MBC, K&N Filter, TRE 255lph (Not installed yet), Gruppe-S Engine Damper, AVID Racing 75A Motor Mounts, and Gauges.

My clutch is beginning to go so I have purchased the ACT HDSS Clutch & Gruppe-S Fly.

The following items will be purchased and installed by buschur:
Ported and Jet coated Manifold
New Stainless Steel Manifold Studs
10.5 Hotside
SS02 Housing
Scattershield
Exhaust Heat Shield
Radiator Hoses

Once all of this is installed I am going to get a custom tune from Dynoflash.

Please chime in and tell me what you think. (I know I should replace the LICP, however I am working maintly on the exhaust now).

Thanks in advance for all your comments/help.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
That all looks good to me. I have no idea what a scattershield and exhaust heat shield are, but the actual power mods are good choices. You don't need the LICP - it's just a good, cheap, effective mod. There's also no particular reason to focus only on the exhaust - the manifold is on the other side of the turbo anyway, but it's still a good mod. Just get that custom tune, and you'll be golden.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks that is what I was hoping to hear!

The scattershield is for the transmission, I heard it is good to get one if changing the flywheel to a lightweight model.

The Heat shield is what bolts to the manifold to help keep engine bay temps down.

By the way, have you heard anything bad about the TRE fuel pumps? I don't want to install it if it is crap. (I got a really good deal on it which is why I bought it).

Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Er, no, you don't need a scattershield for the transmission just because of the flywheel.

If you get the manifold coated, you don't need the heat shield. Those are for looks mainly.

No, I haven't heard anything bad about them, but I really don't know why people would get one when Walbro is used by hundreds of thousands of cars and almost every Evo. "Getting a really good deal" is not very good reasoning when purchasing a fuel safety mod. I got my Walbro for $50 new, so it doesn't get much better than that. For all I know, though, the TRE pumps could be awesome. It's just that they are new and unproven...

Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
"Most drag strips require the use of a Scattershield once you get into the 11's in the 1/4 mile. This stainless steel Scattershield will not only get you through tech inspection but will give you some piece of mind if things ever go bad with your clutch or flywheel at 7,000 RPM."
Clayton, your about very close to being made to run a scattershield.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/evossss.htm

Old 03-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

That hasn't been my experience. They always boot you if you run too fast without a cage, but I haven't been hassled, nor seen anyone hassled, nor heard of an Evo being hassled for not having a scattershield. Weird.

Last edited by Warrtalon; 03-08-2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Edited for being wrong.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

It depends on whether or not the track is NHRA associated or follows NHRA guidelines for tech. I believe, but I'll have to check, if you're running a 11.49 or quicker in a manual car you need an SFI approved scattershield. If it's a 10.99 or faster on an auto you need a trans shield. Now, I know folks that are right around these thresholds and don't get hassled by tech., but some tracks are very strict and tedious and will be paying attention. It depends on where you run, but if it's NHRA associated those are the thresholds.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

It's 11.49 for a cage or roll bar, but I've never seen anyone on an Evo required to have a scattershield at 11.49. There are a bunch who run 11.49 or better without the slightest mention of using one.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

I need to edit my post, what I had was IHRA, it's actually 11.99 or faster in a manual for a scattershield according to NHRA. Not seeing them or hearing of folks using them doesn't mean they aren't supposed to be there. That being said, if I'm putting on a scattershield I'd go ahead and spend the extra $ and put on an SFI approved one assuming one is made for the vehicle you need it for. Now, would I put on a shield for a car I only take to the track occassionally and may run 11.5's in? Probably not, but if I did run that 11.5 and the tech guy didn't like my hair cut or something he could say have a nice night and don't come back until you get the shield.
Here's a link. Just one on many.
http://www.diamondstarmotorsport.com/threespeed.shtml
Old 03-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mdog, can you link me to the NHRA rule? I can't find it anywhere, and of the 10+ tracks I've been to, I've never seen it mentioned or enforced. The cage rule used to be for 11.99 and quicker, and both me and my friends would get hassled for it. I was running 12.0-12.1, so I didn't get kicked out, but my friends were hitting 11s. Not once was a scattershield mentioned. Then, they moved the cage rule down to 11.49, since so many cars hit 11s now I guess, and still...no mention of a scattershield requirement by tech for any cars running 11s (just the people I was around). Our local track is VERY STRICT on tech, and is an NHRA track, so I don't know what the deal is.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have a guy or two that I know who have a copy of the NHRA rulebook. I'll see if I can't get the exact verbage from them. When you get to the track, if you don't tell them you're going to be running faster than an 11.99, then they're not going to look for it. And often, if you're just barely under that they're not going to have the time or manpower to re-tech you if you run an 11.8 or something. The rollbar thing yes is correct at 11.49. It's pretty crazy that some cars come stock from the factory needing a roll bar, helmet, fire jacket and other stuff just to run. What the DOT allows to cruise the streets and then what the NHRA makes you do just to run them at the track is pretty goofy when you think about it.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Here's a quick link where you can read it. It's about 1/4 way down the page, but it's the NDRA's pdf. They use NHRA/IHRA tech. guidelines as well.
http://ndra.nopi.com/2006/ndra_sportsman_rules.pdf
Old 03-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

I know about NDRA, but that's just NOPI. I'm hoping to see the actual verbiage from the NHRA rules. Sucks that they don't post the stuff online so that they can make a buck on selling rule books.

I know what you're saying about being lax some places, but I'm telling you that they are EXTREMELY strict at my local track, and if you break a rule by .01s, then they will kick you out as long as they notice.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Here's the long version.
http://www.geocities.com/boosted_eine/nhrarulebook.html
Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
I know about NDRA, but that's just NOPI. I'm hoping to see the actual verbiage from the NHRA rules. Sucks that they don't post the stuff online so that they can make a buck on selling rule books.

I know what you're saying about being lax some places, but I'm telling you that they are EXTREMELY strict at my local track, and if you break a rule by .01s, then they will kick you out as long as they notice.
If you run 11's without a cage they can see that through your windows.... that is why people get nailed for no cage.

To me a scatter shield is important if you are running a lightened stock flywheel because in the DSM world they have been known to have catastrophic failure at high RPM heavy load situations. But I don't know of anyone offering a lightened stock flywheel for the EVO. With the EVO a failed flywheel has a lot of potential to injure the driver.... on a DSM it was on the passenger side, and no real danger to the driver for racing situations without a passenger.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement