PLEASEE HELP!! BOV and IC pipe Problem - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question PLEASEE HELP!! BOV and IC pipe Problem

Alright i got a problem which day by day is getting worse. here is the run down on my story that i really need help with on suggustions...

I bought a HKS BOV without the ricirulating kit for my 05 Evo VIII. I realized it wont fit on my stock IC pipe so i needed to change some stuff. I ended up getting a AEM intake and blocked off the hole where the stock BOV sits. I got that Sparco Rubber Upper IC pipe and the HKS Flange & stright pipe that it sits in which is about a foot long. I Cut the Sparco upper IC pipe center out and clamped the HKS pipe in the middle and assembled the HKS BOV together. Turned the car on and worked Perfect and Sounded Amazing. i was in love. after a few days i started to realize my car is running just a little rich and could smell it. Soon after i Added a HKS carbon ti Catback exhaust. started to run a little more rich. Then added a Perrin Highflow Cat. Then it became a strong scent. running real rich. Then added a Megan racing Downpipe. Out of no where my car ran so rich that black smoke was flowing out my exhaust, backfired about 15-20 times in 1-3 gear and smelt like CRAP. My check engine light came on about 3 minutes after driving which came up as Catillic converter Conficency. so then i add a 10.5 Hotslide Hosing turbo elbow and out of no where it stopped running super rich and no more backfire. It still real rich though and can smell it at every stop light. So i went to a place called IMP where they are really good with sport cars. The one guy tuned the Titan Supra for them and holds some record for highest horsepower tune on the Titan Racing Supra. Im planning on getting it tuned from them. so i went there and they checked out my car and told me why its running so bad. Basically its becase of my BOV. its not recirulating because i dont have that kit on. And the Sparco pipe is bigger then the BOV pipe that it goes into which then leaves into the other Larger Sparco pipe. Basically i need to change that whole set up with the BOV and the upper IC pipe to fit my car with the checkengine light and running so rich. WHAT DO YOU RECCOMEND. what Upper IC pipe do you guys have and BOV that you like the best. I understand it wont make the loud Noise because it needs the recirulating kit but i dont know what to get. I was thinking the HKS Uper IC pipe because its made for that SSQV BOV that i have but the kit comes with a new BOV and its like 4-5 hundred bucks. Should i get that or just spend the money and go better. I was thinking the Greddy IC pipe with a Blitz BOV. I hate the Greddy Type RS BOV, i had that on my car and it sounded like shit. anything you guys like that might help?

Here is a video of when i put the exhaust set up on and you can see some black smoke at higher RPM's. you can also clearly see how the set up is and how you can understand what i was trying to explain about cutting the upper IC pipe and all.

ALSO!!! what do you guys reccomend for a new flash program or ECU. i like the AEM one but its like fricken 1700 dollars. i dont have that kind of money for one. my buddy has a UTECH or whatever he is willing to sell to me for like 300 bucks. is that any good? or do you guys like anything better?

THANK YOUUU
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
First off please do some research before you put out money for parts. Your car is running way rich inbetween shifts because the air is being vented out, this air is measured and the ecu adds the proper fuel. If this air is vented you are left with a overly rich condition. HKS makes a recirc kit for the SSQV for the evo. Or you can get a whole new pipe set up and new BOV but you will also need a good tune with the mods you have. Do you have a fuel pump yet? Get a real UICP or just put the stock one back on and get a decent BOV. look into ETS piping, greddy piping, turboxs, and others. As for the BOV you can do a evo IX BOV, Greddy, Forge, Turbosmart but take the horn off the dual port...... there are a lot of choices for BOV's. Why don't you like the greddy? have you looked into a older discontinued type-s? if your concerned about sound over performance and drivability, There is no advice i can offer except please buy a srt4.......

As for tuning, check out openecu.org and download ecuflash its free, the cable to hook up to your car is $90 and you can completely tune every aspect of the cars ecu. I have seen this used and work perfectly on daily driven over 500whp evos. Mine is currently sitting at just over 400whp using ecuflash. Any good tuner should be able to use this program and if you log using a wideband you can get a near perfect tune. If your in NJ take your car to turbotrix or drive across PA and go to CBRD in York, that would be my first stop!

Turbotrix = Turbotrix Racing Contact Us
CBRD= cbrdspeedfactory.com

Let us know how it works out for you until then please do not keep revving it and going into boost, you could cause yourself major problems. Also if you want to stay venting the BOV either one of these tuners may be able to reflash you for it.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

well ever since i put the downpipe and it got real bad i stopped driving it. i put it on about 2 weeks ago and since then the only place i drove it was to IMP auto. and i know that HKS has a recirulating kit for the BOV but i just did not know if you guys think its WORTH it to buy one and a new pipe or just get a diff. BOV. performance is def. more important then sound, i just said it sounded awesome. SRT-4? id rather go buy a fricken ricer car from a kid in the mall parking lot. haha. i was thinking about putting a walbro fuel pump but did not think i should yet cause of how rich it is. and thanks for that website for the ecu. i think im going to give it a shot. the greddy BOV i dont know we put it on and switched it to the single spring and i think i just did not have it adjusted correctly but we tried changing it about 25 times. what do you think about the forge or blitz BOV?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

First off i wasn't knocking you for saying it sounded awesome, I said if you are only concerned about sound then another car would be a good choice, I wasn't trying to bash.

Since now we understand your goal is performance. I think you really need a tune. A new upper pipe would probably help but you could use stock for now. Just get a BOV that bolts up to stock. Check the Forge, APS and Agency Power. i run the old type-s greddy and its perfect but over time the diaphragm needs to be replaced.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

If your going to get tuned definatly get a walbro 255lph pump. it's like $80 and it takes less then 30 minutes to install. Then get tuned. Check out both the shops that i reccomended they will be able to assist you greatly at tuning!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

i've got the injen intake and intercooler pipes. i went with a agency power blow off valve also. it is recirculating. there are 3 hole in the blow off valve. the bottom for the intake, and the side for the intercooler piping. i put the open mouth on the opposite side of the intercooler piping and it ran super rich. i plugged it up with the plug that came with the blow off valve and its not nearly as rich plus my car runs 100 x's better. its not nearly as loud. but you gotta sacrifice fun for power lol. good luck
Old 03-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

does your BOV hit your fan shroud because of the injen intake and IC pipes.... post up some pics if you get a chance.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Tri State
bov

While you guys are on the topic of the blow off valves. I bought a k & n cold air intake and a friend of mine gave me his turbo xs rfl blow off valve (universal kit) from his 04 sti. He put the bov on both his wife's legacy turbo and his sti. He told me he had problems with the bov like having the car stall out on both his car and his wife's car. If I install that on my car am I going to have the same problem. I have 2011 evo. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

yes you will since the rfl is a good BOV to vent but it does not recirculate. you need one that will recirculate back into the intake so you wont loose metered air.

My reccomendation for any evo is the perrin BOV! prob one of the best I have ever used. opens fast and under light boost.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Thank you. I am looking at hks sqvc3, greddy type r and the perrin.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

i have the actual upper ic pipe that is specific for the HKS SSQV if you would want it. Already has the flange on it, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement