Plug and Play - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Plug and Play

Hey what can anyone tell me about the Apexi S-AFC NEO (Digital Fuel Controller). Is it any good???
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
No, it's not very good. First of all, the SAFC is an outdated tuning device that we no longer use in the Evo world for the most part, because we have the ability to flash our ECUs for free. For those who don't know how to do it themselves, we can get custom tuned by an expert locally for only $150, and that's without having to buy the cable, download the software, or have a laptop. What's worse is that the new "NEO" is even more expensive, which makes it even more useless. It is a very crude device that is easy to use, but you can get two custom flashes for the price of the NEO, and with the NEO, you'd have to pay someone to install and tune it for you anyway...

Is there a reason you asked about the SAFC instead of trying to get flashed locally by our RMEVO tuner?

Old 07-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I asked Because This is the first"Car" that ive started to put performance parts in. I work on Diesels and The Chips/ Tuning on those with a hand held unit is good and effective. With the tuning units that I use on Diesels you can tune and dignoise and delete codes when they appear. I want to use a hand held unit not my laptop or take my car to get flashed.(Like the COBBTUNING ACCESSPORT. Unfortunetly it doesn
t come out till August)

Old 07-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

The SAFC doesn't do those other things anyway - it just adjusts fuel and that's all. We do not yet have a handheld device for Evo IXs that can do all of that. We flash our ECU directly using flashing software, and we log/scan our ECU using cheap or free software that can also see the codes and such.

It's actually a very awesome tool for being free. The Cobb AP may be good if it ever comes out, but it's hard to beat free. why do you not want to take your car to get flashed? You'd have to do that with any handheld device anyway, unless you had the expertise to do all the tuning of fuel, timing, and MIVEC yourself. In that case, EcuFlash (free) would be perfect anyway...

Old 07-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

My friend has the Cobb Tuning Access Port for his STI and he doesnt flash it or anything. it just hauls.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just for the sake of putting the info out there.. I do offer a 100% free trial of my flash. If you don't like what you "feel" after the flash, I'll return your car to stock, and not a penny has to come out of your wallet.

You should see the dyno charts of customers I've flashed who were previously using AFC's. I'm seeing 20ft/lbs of torque increases (minimum) through the midrange and I've been able to match the or sometimes better the top end performance. No SAFC tune is going to give you the low end grunt a flash will.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT EVO IX View Post
My friend has the Cobb Tuning Access Port for his STI and he doesnt flash it or anything. it just hauls.
Actually, he does "flash" his ECU. That's what the AP does...it reprograms the ECU when you push the button for the tune you want to use. However, before he was able to use the AP, he had to get it custom tuned by someone (unless he's using generic base tunes), which is the same thing we do, except we use a laptop instead of a hand-held device. We also don't have to buy anything.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry thats what I ment the hand held unit flashes/reprograms his ECU. And thats what I want. I want to be able to remove it wenever i want with a hand held unit insted of my laptop... So how Do I get it flashed by you ~JustDSM~ how does that workout??? Do I send you my computer?
Old 07-05-2007, 04:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm able to meet up with you locally, or you can send it to me. Either way works, However I prefer to tailor my base maps for each specific car. That way you're not using a 'generic' tune but rather one that mapped specificly for YOUR vehicle.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Meet up Where would we meet??? Are you in Colorado?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm in Cheyenne, WY. I regularlly make trips to Denver to tune other Evo's.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

When is your next trip to Denver??? and how much will you charge for the tune?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

WT Evo, this is who I was talking about when I gave you this suggestion earlier in the thread. There is also another active thread referring to a tuning meet. Be sure to pay attention to the other things going on in the RM regional forum. The quick way to get there is RMEVO.com.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

I've not got anything scheduled down in Denver at the moment. I do have a meet going on in Boulder where I'll be tuning quite a few Evo's.

For a custom tune, I charge $150.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've just started using ecuflash and it is great. However, if your really doing it yourself and not that deep into tuning, the S-AFC is not bad. Yea it's crude, but it does work and it's so easy. It does have to do some averaging calculations for part throttle driving and there is no direct timing control, but I lived with it. At WOT it will give you power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement