Quiet high-flowing turboback? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Quiet high-flowing turboback?

Hello, I am trying to find the quietest (but high-flowing) TBE exhaust for my IX Evo that doesn't drone or eventually gets annoying. I want something that sounds really deep and mean. (I've had an STI before Evo).

I am considering:
1. Tanabe Touring Medallion catback + DP. (Tanabe also makes a downpipe for it but its 2.75 ... not full 3").
2. EVO2

What TBE setup would you recommend?

Thanks,
Dmitry
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

anyone?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

The HKS units have a very nice sound and aren't too loud. You'll find that most of your noise will come from the type of cat (or lack there of) you decide to run. If you stay with a true catalytic converter most of the major brands I've seen/heard aren't excessively noisy.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
There's really no magic exhaust out there. If it's quiet, it will not be as powerful. If it's loud, it will probably be more powerful. Just be sure you don't spend $800-1000 to only get 15whp or something. You could leave the exhaust totally stock and just replace the stock cat with a test pipe and make 10-15whp for $80.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
There's really no magic exhaust out there. If it's quiet, it will not be as powerful. If it's loud, it will probably be more powerful. Just be sure you don't spend $800-1000 to only get 15whp or something. You could leave the exhaust totally stock and just replace the stock cat with a test pipe and make 10-15whp for $80.
I like this idea. I might just do that!

On my old car I had Helix DP, Invidia Catback, no CAT. It was crazy loud! Really cool at first, but it got old especially on longer trips / highway driving. People could hear me blocks away. One of my friends had EVO2 exhaust that made the same power without all the noise. I just (bought my EVO and) moved to Seattle, and I don't know anyone with EVOs, so I can't really tell what different exhausts sound like.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, that Evo didn't make the same power because of the Evo2. The Evo2 is known to be very restrictive compared to other exhausts and not as powerful. Other factors made up for that difference in power, so don't let that fool you.

Doing just the DP + test pipe is a cheap way to make some power and stay quiet. You could also consider a cutout...

Old 07-01-2007, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I narrowed down my search to:
1. Borla XR-1
2. Tanabe Medalion Touring

Others I've considered:
* Fujutsubo RM01a -- too expensive to ship to WA because its a single piece design
* Greddy Evo2 -- maybe?
* AVO

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Sound clips?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Borla XR-1? I've never even heard of that. That's an Evo exhaust? The Tanabe Medalion is ok, but you seem to be trying VERY hard and are willing to spend extra money for something that will likely disappoint you in the end.

$85 for a test pipe will keep the sound stock and make more power than these cat-backs.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

It doesn't seem to me that he's really all that concerned about which gives the most power. I like Borla's stuff as it has a nice throaty growl to it. If it's an Evo specific kit see if you can find a sound clip of it.

There is also a thread on EvoM that has a lot of sound clips of different exhausts which may help you to decide. When I was looking for one back in 04 I really liked th RMR but eventually went to the AMS due to cost and availability.

Good luck with finding what you like....cause in the end that's all that matters.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have the AMS turbo back with resonated test pipe. It has a deep tuned sound at cruising speed and at high RPM. Oh and I didn't get a CEL, maybe just lucky though. I'll try to post sound clip soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement