The road to 330HP - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

The road to 330HP

alright, so i am aiming to get my car to 330HP

i plan on getting a cat back, a high flow cat, and upper and lower ic piping...i dont really want to get a boost controller just yet, and from i have seen that would be the first few steps of upgrading

what should i expect from that? and how much more do i need to reach my 330 goal?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

whp or fwhp? big difference........
And if you're not wanting to turn up the boost yet then with those mods listed above it would probably put you in the 260 whp range maybe. That's all very dependent on what type of dyno used, how it's calibrated etc....
Save your money on an UICP, not needed for a long time, especially with what little mods you're considering.
Gotta start somewhere though.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
IC piping really isn't a first step. Here's the quickest and best way to 330whp on an 03:

- TBE (catless)
- MBC + boost gauge (yes, you need this in order to run enough boost)
- BOV (recirculating BOV like the JDM MR DV)
- Fuel pump (Walbro)
- Cams (272s)
- Custom flash/tune

That will get it done right.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is that really all it takes? Seems it would take more. Hmmm.... are we talking pump gas here Warr. or 93 and Alky or some kind of race gas tune? Just learning, thanks.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's the recipe for 330whp on 93oct with a custom tune on an VIII.

My Warrtalon package is everything above minus the cams and is good for 300whp on 93oct on a Dynojet at 22psi. I actually put down 305whp, and that was only with a base flash - not a custom flash. With those mods and that power, I ran the [email protected] in my sig. On the next run, I mixed in some 110, turned the boost up to 24-25psi, and ran the fateful 12.000 - same base flash. If you take what I had and add some 272s and full custom flash, you should be in the vicinity of 330whp. Sometimes more; sometimes less.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks man. Dang, 12.000. I think you'd have a better chance at winning the lottery than running that exact same time again.
You do have the 10.5 hotside though on an 05. Any idea how much hp that's worth with all things being equal? 10-15hp maybe?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

It really depends on the setup, boost, and tuning. A 10.5 is better than the 9.8 in general, but there have still been 9.8s goes mid 11s at nearly 120, so it's hard to say. An 03 can still get to these power levels pretty easily with the right boost and tuning.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Warrtalon, would you ever use a Intercooler Spray kit? Machevo made some decent gains from this kit on basic mods. Why doesn't anyone else do this mod? I understand that it's one of those mods that you don't use all the time, but track and dyno day it seems like a good bang for the buck.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

They aren't that effective, so no, but if you use the NX chiller, it may work pretty well. It's not a common mod used in the Evo Community, and there are a LOT of fast Evos out there. Some things are known to work and others aren't - this type of thing isn't considered to help much.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

I know I keep referencing MACHV, but they dynoed about 50 extra hp/ft.-lbs torque from using the NX N-TERCOOLER KIT. How can you argue with those numbers?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Because there may be more to the story. No one else in the Evo community has had gains like that. Hell, a huge jump like that would require ACTUAL nitrous injection...not just spraying the outside of the IC. In fact, the sprayer that came on 03/04s was so useless that Mitsu got rid of it, and you don't see any 05/06 owners trying to retrofit, but you see a lot of 03/04 owners getting rid of it so that they can use the reservoir for alky injection.

I personally do not consider MachV as a leading Evo tuner and builder. I've known Dan for many years and used to live 2 miles from the current shop. I've used the dyno that they share with Ultimate, and I have bought two things from MachV: a JDM MR DV that I needed in a hurry, and some stock-sized Rota Torques on clearance to use as winter rims. Dan is a great guy and great businessman, but they are not experts on building Evos like a Buschur, AMS, etc.

In the end, if everyone could get a 50whp/wtq gain from a basic IC chiller kit, then everyone would be using it. You are welcome to try it.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

I don't consider them a leading Evo tuner evo, and I've only purchased one thing from them as well, NGK plugs. Their products are a little pricey compared to others.

There may be more to the story like you said, but why would they hide anything when showing how much power a product made. It seemed when I first saw the gains they made from it, that everyone should use it. But, as you said, I haven't seen any other reputable companies use it. I have no doubt that it gives decent power gains though. Maybe not always 50hp, but even if it gave an extra 20whp, wouldn't it be worth it? Especially on a hot day at the track.......I think so.

The N-tercooler kit no doubt works, and it doesn't incorporate the stock sprayer so I don't see why you mentioned that. There's a huge difference between spraying an intercooler with lukewarm water, and freezing gas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning your knowledge on Evo's and Tuning them, and I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk or give you a hard time. I was just wondering why no one in the EVO community used them, or ever mentions them.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

I didn't say it incorporated the stock sprayer. I was just giving an example of how useless that is. Yes, freezing gas is better than ambient temp water, but many of us go through much more expense and trouble to inject atomized alcohol or methanol right before the throttlebody in order to allow us the cooling effect and higher octane benefits rather than spraying our IC. I run alky on track, and many others use it, but people rarely use IC sprayers. Yes, 20whp would be great, but I've never seen it happen personally.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

so how much could i expect from a full catless tbe?
and how much of a difference would having a high flow cat make instead of no cat?

i am looking at a full megan racing setup, from what i have read they seem to be pretty good
Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Around 30whp for a catless TBE. A hi-flow cat will probably cut 7-10whp vs a test pipe. However, remember that the Megan test pipe is resonated and not a full 3" internally. It's closer to 2.5". I switched mine out with a Buschur catless TBE and saved 10lbs, but I haven't dyno'd afterwards yet to get a comparison.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement