The road to 330HP - Page 3 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry View Post
I disagree. There is a reason for the injectors and the FMIC, and it's a pretty well known reason too; 91 octane sucks. If you want to make good power with it you need to do everything you can, which includes a more efficent intercooler and basically quenching out the knock with more fuel.

A high flow cat will be better than stock, but keep in mind aftermarket cats tend to only last two years. You'll pass the first test with it, but chances are not the second. When that time comes, just remember to keep your stock cat safe, swap it in for the test, and run around with the high flow to stay visually safe.
You can't drownd knock with extra fuel and gain power. If you need the added cooling effect of large amounts of fuel enrichment, you are not really gaining any power from running the boost that high.... the extra fuel kills power just the same as it kills the knock.

Even if you are trying to run ultra rich to stave off knock on 91 octane, the stock injectors along with an upgraded fuel pump provide plenty of fuel, so I would not go with the injector upgrade.

The main gain from an upgraded intercooler when running lower boost pressures isn't the cooling effect (it does cool better, but it is not a significant factor at low boost).... the gain is from the larger intercooler being able to flow the charge air better with less of a pressure drop. This is the main gain of an upgraded FMIC on a car running low boost pressures on pump gas, and when trying to reach higher power levels on 91 octane every little bit helps.

Keith
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #32 (permalink)

So are you suggesting that I should get a FMIC? and then leave the stock injectors?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #33 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
They both said that with an FMIC "every little bit helps," but that doesn't mean it's worth the cost. You could get an aftermarket throttlebody, sheet metal intake manifold, stroker motor, and a built head...all of this will help to some degree on the stock turbo, but none of them are worth the cost. You have to decide if you want to spend $500-700 for something that has very little effect on the car as it stands now.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #34 (permalink)

I understand that. I plan on fully upgrading my car eventually. Im just trying to i guess, pave the path until that point. I dont want to change out the stock turbo or anything really signifigant until the car is close to being paid off. If i upgraded the turbo i would need an after market FMIC anyway. So getting one now isnt such a bad idea or is it? I know its not gonna add 50 extra hp with tuning.... but it will make a difference right?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #35 (permalink)

Yes, but the aftermarket FMIC you'd need for whatever future turbo you choose may not be the same as the FMIC you get now. Same goes for injectors. People get minor injector upgrades for the stock turbo then do a big turbo and have to get even bigger ones. Buying twice sucks, especially when you bought the first time in preparation for the 2nd time, but didn't buy the right thing.

No, it won't make much difference. You seem to want it, though, so go for it.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
IC piping really isn't a first step. Here's the quickest and best way to 330whp on an 03:

- TBE (catless)
- MBC + boost gauge (yes, you need this in order to run enough boost)
- BOV (recirculating BOV like the JDM MR DV)
- Fuel pump (Walbro)
- Cams (272s)
- Custom flash/tune

That will get it done right.

I am a little confused?! I have everything except for the cams. Got the Tune done by a known shop and made less than 300 whp. Way less! The boost level is around 23psi and a/f is perfect. I need some help in understanding where things went wrong. I guess my BOV is stock too... I thought that I would be in the high 200's or low 300's in hp, but I'm not!

Please Advise

Btw my car is an 05 with 13k miles
Old 05-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo_guy22 View Post
I am a little confused?! I have everything except for the cams. Got the Tune done by a known shop and made less than 300 whp. Way less! The boost level is around 23psi and a/f is perfect. I need some help in understanding where things went wrong. I guess my BOV is stock too... I thought that I would be in the high 200's or low 300's in hp, but I'm not!

Please Advise

Btw my car is an 05 with 13k miles
Well, first of all, those estimates above are for SEA LEVEL on a DYNOJET using 93 OCTANE. I don't know where you got tuned around here, because there are no shops that I know of who flash Evos here. How did you get tuned, where, and with what device? What dyno, what octane? All of these make a difference. Also, cams account for 30whp, so that's a big chunk, and the stock BOV is pretty awful. 23psi is way beyond the stock BOV's efficiency, and you shouldn't be running 23psi on 91oct anyway unless you're talking gauge psi and not MAP psi.

I need a lot more details before being able to help you, but I think we can figure it out after that.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:46 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, first of all, those estimates above are for SEA LEVEL on a DYNOJET using 93 OCTANE. I don't know where you got tuned around here, because there are no shops that I know of who flash Evos here. How did you get tuned, where, and with what device? What dyno, what octane? All of these make a difference. Also, cams account for 30whp, so that's a big chunk, and the stock BOV is pretty awful. 23psi is way beyond the stock BOV's efficiency, and you shouldn't be running 23psi on 91oct anyway unless you're talking gauge psi and not MAP psi.

I need a lot more details before being able to help you, but I think we can figure it out after that.

You are right, it is gauge psi. I had RP do some tuning and figured out that it might have been their first evo tune. I was on 91 octane and I don't know what the name of the Dyno is, I know it is not a Dyno Jet. I'm assuing they did a soft tune and not a true reflash. As I said, the dialed in the a/f and got it running pretty decent. I made 250whp on their dyno w perfect a/f ratio or I should say pretty damn close. Now that I think about it, their numbers are probably non-corrected and are real at this altitude?!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #39 (permalink)

let me know if you need more information. The numbers just seemed low compared to what I have been reading.

I appologize for all the questions, this is my first attempt at an EVO let alone an import. I am a Mustang guy gone import! Supewrcharges and Nitrous are what I dealt with for the last 6 years.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #40 (permalink)

Ok, now that I have that info, I can help.

1) Are you saying they actually flashed your Evo? Do you know what they used? They have been choosing not to use EcuFlash, because it's free software that pisses off companies like Cobb and EcuTek. Because of this, RP agreed not to use EcuFlash so as to honor their contracts with these other tuning companies whose devices they use. That also means that I have not been able to send Evos to them to get flash tuned, so I'm surprised that you say they flashed you. Could you clarify that fact?

2) They have a DynoDynamics, which is _very_ low reading. Plus, the shop is around 6800', so the altitude is killer on our power levels. They do provide corrected values but only corrected by half the normal value. Basically, if you went to the Dynojet at MAC, you would make 250whp uncorrected, but that would be 312.5 with the full correction. For comparison, I put down 300whp at RP on my 05 with bolt-ons, cams, and alky+93oct @ 26 MAP psi (30 gauge psi). That means I made 50 more whp than you on the same dyno with a lot more boost, higher octane, more cooling, and cams. That sounds about right.

3) If you're familiar with using N2O, then you will be happy to know that we gain almost double the WHP per size of N2O. For example, a 50 shot will gain 90whp or so. You could use it to make up for the loss of power due to altitude if you know what you're doing.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, now that I have that info, I can help.

1) Are you saying they actually flashed your Evo? Do you know what they used? They have been choosing not to use EcuFlash, because it's free software that pisses off companies like Cobb and EcuTek. Because of this, RP agreed not to use EcuFlash so as to honor their contracts with these other tuning companies whose devices they use. That also means that I have not been able to send Evos to them to get flash tuned, so I'm surprised that you say they flashed you. Could you clarify that fact?

2) They have a DynoDynamics, which is _very_ low reading. Plus, the shop is around 6800', so the altitude is killer on our power levels. They do provide corrected values but only corrected by half the normal value. Basically, if you went to the Dynojet at MAC, you would make 250whp uncorrected, but that would be 312.5 with the full correction. For comparison, I put down 300whp at RP on my 05 with bolt-ons, cams, and alky+93oct @ 26 MAP psi (30 gauge psi). That means I made 50 more whp than you on the same dyno with a lot more boost, higher octane, more cooling, and cams. That sounds about right.

3) If you're familiar with using N2O, then you will be happy to know that we gain almost double the WHP per size of N2O. For example, a 50 shot will gain 90whp or so. You could use it to make up for the loss of power due to altitude if you know what you're doing.
Thanks for the info, as for what they did? I just know that they used some kind of software to re-cal things like timing and a/f. I am used to actual ecu reflashes and it just seemed like it was more of a "soft tune" than a reflash. I am very good friends with Adam and I don't know if he made an exception?! Either way what you have said makes more sense to me now.

I am looking to do the cams within a couple weeks and would you recommend using JustDSM for the tune or re-flash? I don't want to get RP in trouble with proprietary issues, I am a business owner myself and understand how costly that may be.

I was toying with the idea of a small N2O kit, just because I still have enough parts to come up with at least a 50 shot. But I think Alky injection and a evo turbo for samething down the raod. I just may do the cams and Alky at the same time?!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #42 (permalink)

Justin is a great person to use for the tune, but you're right here in the Springs, yah? He's a long way up there in Wyoming, so if Adam will reflash you, then go with that. If he'd rather not mess with it for the aforementioned reasons, then hook up with Justin.

Cams are great, alky is great, and the IX turbo is great. Other turbos are even better, so keep me apprised of your plans, and I'll help you use your money wisely. We should meet up at the shop some time. RP does all my work, and I of course dyno there, but I haven't been around since they got me setup before the first Time Trial of the season. However, I work 4-5 blocks away, hah.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Justin is a great person to use for the tune, but you're right here in the Springs, yah? He's a long way up there in Wyoming, so if Adam will reflash you, then go with that. If he'd rather not mess with it for the aforementioned reasons, then hook up with Justin.

Cams are great, alky is great, and the IX turbo is great. Other turbos are even better, so keep me apprised of your plans, and I'll help you use your money wisely. We should meet up at the shop some time. RP does all my work, and I of course dyno there, but I haven't been around since they got me setup before the first Time Trial of the season. However, I work 4-5 blocks away, hah.
Once again, thanks for the info and help! We should deffinately get together. I've know Adam for a long time and think he does very well. It's a whole new ball game from what I'm used to dealing with Mustangs! Do you know Danny? The guy with the sick single turbo stang? I was the guy that found the body and I'm going to sponsor him this year!
At least will be one of his sponsors.

The world is up side down.... an Mustang guy driving an EVO... Sponsoring a Mustang guy!! Ha Ha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement