Test Pipe - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #16 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
You're looking for how it's connected. If it's only connected on one side to the upper intercooler pipe (UICP), then it's VTA. If it's connected to the UICP and then another hose coming out the other side that routes the purge back into the intake pipe, then it's recirculating. Either way, that BOV should not be used on the Evo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

Well im looking at it and it definitly has a hose that goes back into the intake. So i shouldn't have to many back fires since its not VTA. Whats wrong with the HKS?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin's 8 View Post
Whats wrong with the HKS?
It's usually more hassel then it's worth. Setting it properly, chipping in for the recirculation kit, ring clip mounting... Then you get pulled over, ticketed, and have to take it off anyways.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

It's build to be VTA, which does not work on a MAF-equipped Evo, because air that is metered by the MAF gets purged into atmosphere causing a rich condition in the AFRs. Also, it's a pull-type BOV (only one I know of), which keeps it from opening EVER until it's supposed to, which is when you let off under high boost. This causes the Evo problems at idle, because the BOV is supposed to open a little to allow for the proper vaccuum.

It's an expensive ricer unit that people love to get just for noise without realizing it's bad for their Evo.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

I wish i would have known that before i bought it. The shop i usually go to didn't mention anything about that. They just told me that this unit was the best blow off valve i can get for my car and i believed him when i saw the price. I do notice some idle problems when i first start the car. Or sometimes if im just sitting at a light the rpm will shoot up to like 1700 a by it self. Is this bov going to damage anything?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #21 (permalink)

Your best bet is to do 2 things.

1. Sell that BOV to some kid w/ a civic that lives far enough that you won't have to hear it.

2. Buy the JDM MR/Stock Evo 9 BOV (its cheap BTW)

Jared

Last edited by 06evors; 02-04-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Why would i not want to hear it. Like warr said most people buy that bov for the noise it makes. i like the way it chirps instead of your average whoosh of air. If i get rid of it i want something i can hear.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

I am just speaking out of my own opinion. The fact that my exhaust, intake, fuel pump and stock BOV make noise is bad enough but having a chirping sound everytime I get off the gas is just so unnessary. If I had it my way my car wouldn't make any noise at all but unfortunately you can't make power in a car without some noise. But its your car in the end.

Jared
Old 02-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin's 8 View Post
Why would i not want to hear it. Like warr said most people buy that bov for the noise it makes. i like the way it chirps instead of your average whoosh of air. If i get rid of it i want something i can hear.

Well, if that's what matters to you, then that's your thing. Most of the people you find here at Evotuners or who are serious about their Evos do NOT want to hear the annoying BOV purge all the time. It does absolutely nothing for you and is a product of the whole 2 Fast 2 Furious phenomenon. Most of the time, we get former Honda owners who manage to find a used Evo they can afford and then slap on an intake and HKS BOV so that they can act like they're in a movie. The rest of us shake our head, roll our eyes, and ask the car gods, "Why why why???"

Any shop that recommends that BOV for you either 1) knows nothing about Evos or 2) couldn't care less as long as they get your money. I would not trust that shop with ANYTHING ever again without first asking an knowledgeable Evo owner for input..

Old 02-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

What matters to me is performance. Theres nothing wrong with wanting to hear your bov. Its not the reason i got one in the first place. I needed something that was gonna handle the extra boost when it came.I had no idea what it sounded like till i drove it. I could give a f**k less about fast and furious because ive been into cars way before that trash was ever around. it has nothing to do with that. Yes i did own a couple hondas before. i bought an evo because it's one beautiful piece of machinery that i know isn't a toy. im certainly serious about my car and im not an idiot kid who thinks he's in a movie.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Then I don't understand the desire for the sound. It's really annoying and has nothing to do with performance, so if performance is what matters, then I would think you'd only be interested in something that helps your car perform well, and that BOV doesn't. You said if you get rid of the HKS SSQV, then you still want something you can hear. Well, that is in direct contradiction to this last post where you say performance is what matters. If you restrict yourself to BOVs that make loud noises, then you won't be getting what peforms best.

The JDM MR DV/IX DV is good up to 25psi. Beyond that, the next step is the Forge RS. The HKS SSQV is ok once you go to a huge turbo with standalone ECU running speed density instead of a MAF.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #27 (permalink)

Let me clear that up. Performance matters most. If i can get that performance with a stock JDM IX, great. I guess it's just personal opinion whether or not you want the noise. I like it noisey but if i had to sacrafice it for whats better for the car, i can live without it. Especially if im getting rid of the cat. I'll probably have enough noise happening.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #28 (permalink)

It's JDM MR (MR only) DV or USDM IX (all IXs) DV. They are the same though they came on different Evos.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

What do you guys run to keep the check engine light off?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

The cheapest way to do it would be to get to the parts store and buy an anti-fouler and drill the center of that out. You then screw the 02 into the anti-fouler and the antil fouler into the exhaust bung and that should move the 02 sensor far enough away from the source(exhaust) to keep away the CEL. There are how to's and write ups with pics. if you need that can be found. It's pretty easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement