Thinking about ditching Buschur cone intake - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thinking about ditching Buschur cone intake

Well, I'm getting tired of my car sounding like a fat kid who just ran a mile.

I currently have a buschur cone filter (tuned) and you can hear that thing for a half mile. I'm thinking about going to a K&N drop-in or some sort of cold air intake like AEM.

I guess the question is, do I need to get retuned if I got to a drop-in K&N or AEM? I know if I was going from stock to buschur I'd have to be tuned.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 06:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Well, hold on. I understand returning to the stock airbox if you don't like the noise, but I have no idea why you'd consider the AEM when it's the same thing as the Buschur. They are both cone filters, so why would you switch from one to another? Any open air intake is going to be very loud. Only the stock airbox will keep things quiet.

If you get rid of your open element intake and return to the stock airbox, you will need a retune. If you switch to another cone intake, you'll spend money and have no change - it will not need a retune but will still be just as loud. If you do decide to return to the stock intake, a drop-in filter really isn't needed. Save your money unless you no longer have the stock paper filter.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ah, see I was hoping that by installing a cold air intake it would move the cone out of my engine bay and down into the fendor area moving the noise farther away into a more isolated area.

I'm also considering trying to fab up some sort of heat shield/air dam to isolate the buschur cone from some of the engine bay heat and direct more cold air to the intake. The side benefit is it would direct some of the noise away from the cockpit area.

I have a handheld device that lets me monitor intake temps, so at least I'd know if it was working or not. Unlike most people who make some of this stuff and thinks it works based on guessing and wishful thinking.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

There are no intakes for the Evo that I know of that move the filter anywhere else. The AEM is right there in the same spot. They just call it a "cold air intake."

Old 05-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Figures.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yup, the only EVO that can fit a true cold air intake was the 04 RS wasn't it? It does not have the ACD reservoir, or the intercooler water sprayer reservoir, and Buschur made a cold air intake that fits down through that area.... but it is a VERY limited market for him, since it only fit on the cars without the ACD or intercooler sprayer, so people would have to special order it.

Keith
Old 05-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
There are no intakes for the Evo that I know of that move the filter anywhere else. The AEM is right there in the same spot. They just call it a "cold air intake."
Actually, it's labeled as a short ram intake (I still have the original box ). Other than that, you are absolutely correct, sir.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdoor View Post
Yup, the only EVO that can fit a true cold air intake was the 04 RS wasn't it? It does not have the ACD reservoir, or the intercooler water sprayer reservoir, and Buschur made a cold air intake that fits down through that area.... but it is a VERY limited market for him, since it only fit on the cars without the ACD or intercooler sprayer, so people would have to special order it.

Keith

This is not correct on both counts. APS makes a true cold air intake that does use the spot the resorvoir sits in. On cars equipped with the intercooler sprayer, it would require the resevoir's removal. However, APS also makes a resevoir that will fit with it's intake. On cars with nothing there, obviously no modification is necessary.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

that suction sound is a very aggressive sound. I love that sound! you must be in the 50year old + club.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

I find the sound annoying, too. My car is too loud from the front and the rear, imo.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

what ever warr don't be a sissy!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTED View Post
This is not correct on both counts. APS makes a true cold air intake that does use the spot the resorvoir sits in. On cars equipped with the intercooler sprayer, it would require the resevoir's removal. However, APS also makes a resevoir that will fit with it's intake. On cars with nothing there, obviously no modification is necessary.
The only cars that the APS intake works with are the 03 and 04 if you don't mind screwing with your intercooler sprayer system. The original poster doesn't have an 03 or 04.

Any car can rip out stock components to make a path for a cold air intake to follow, but I like my active center differential.... so I won't be giving it up any time soon for a cold air intake.

Keith
Old 05-08-2007, 06:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

y not just throw ur stock box on and cut a hole in it! it will provide quieter sound, but u will still be able to hear the bov like you want! a cheap alernative (although ghetto as hell!) lol
Old 05-08-2007, 06:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX View Post
what ever warr don't be a sissy!
It's a matter of perspective. To me, a sissy can't drive worth a damn even though he likes the appearance of speed. A loud car means nothing outside of an annoyance.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJF View Post
It's a matter of perspective. To me, a sissy can't drive worth a damn even though he likes the appearance of speed. A loud car means nothing outside of an annoyance.
Yes, I do agree with you, but I was just playing around with Warr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement