Weird noise after intake install? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Weird noise after intake install?

Hey guys, I just installed an HKS racing suction reloaded intake and after the long (very long) install I took it fo a drive and now I can hear the BOV. The problem is that the noise that it makes is like a SPUTTERING sound not the Whooooosh that im just to hearing. I installed an intake on my 90 TSI and the noise after the install was nothing like th EVO's. So anyways, is this normal for the EVOs? Thanks...

BTW...Im 100% stock....(for now)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
1) You are not supposed to install an intake as the first mod.

2) You do not install an intake without a tune for it (the Evo is not like your DSM)

3) It should not be sputtering under normal boost release, but you're likely to hear some if you do any part-throttle/partial boost driving. The stock BOV on your IX is very strong, so it's not meant for low boost. Either you're WOT or you're not. It will only purge normally if you boost hard and do a full lift of the gas pedal. If your BOV is sputtering even on a WOT shift, then something is wrong.

The cost of that intake was not worth it at all, imo, but for you to get anything out of having an intake, you must get tuned for it. You should re-install the stock intake/airbox until you can get proper mods and get a tune. It would not be wise to just drive around with your stock Evo and an intake...

Old 02-07-2007, 03:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Warr, i feel your pain. We need to put a Newbie's Guide to modifying the Evo before we go on a crusade to kill newbies

I got a cone intake for my car. Did crap for it. Then I got a Jestr tune for the intake and the full 3" turboback and only then did it all make sense. On hindsight, I should have kept the stock airbox, but I don't feel like spending another $50 on a tune for nothing :P
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement