What's next for my friends Evo 8 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

What's next for my friends Evo 8

Guys, my friend has an Evo 8. It has intercooler hardpipes, downpipe, exhaust, air intake and a boost controller. He has a set of 264 cams on the shelf. What is the next thing that he can do to the car? How fast can these cars go on the stock turbo?

Thanks
Travis

PS-I have a TTZO6 and a 91MM Mystic Cobra...not a turbo newbie
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

cams don't do anything on the shelf get em in there!

is he custom tuned? upgraded intercooler, ported manifold (both exhaust and intake), o2 housing, 9 turbo swap, has plenty of other bolt-on parts available to install.

they can go plenty fast on the stock (9) turbo, ask Warrtalon or Tobz!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTravis View Post
Guys, my friend has an Evo 8. It has intercooler hardpipes, downpipe, exhaust, air intake and a boost controller. He has a set of 264 cams on the shelf. What is the next thing that he can do to the car? How fast can these cars go on the stock turbo?
Troy already gave a great answer, so I'm going to expound on that. Here is the list he gave:
  • Walbro 255 Fuel Pump- Do this first as a nice fuel safety item
  • Is he custom tuned? - Most important mod of all here. He needs to be sure that he's custom tuned with a pro Evo tuner using EcuFlash (free flashing software for the Evo)
  • upgraded front mount intercooler - Not as necessary at first, but becomes very valuable in high temps, sustained racing, and/or when running big boost a lot (with proper fuel)
  • ported/coated exhaust manifold - Easy, cheap mod and better than buying a tubular manifold (cheaper, stronger, more powerful) when still on the stock turbo
  • ported/coated exhaust housing (turbo)
  • ported intake manifold - usually a later mod after all other mods are done on the stock turbo
  • Ported 65MM Throttlebody - usually a later mod after all other mods are done on the stock turbo
  • stainless steel o2 housing - one of the best bang-for-buck mods as it is very cheap and makes great power for the price
  • Evo 9 turbo swap - great mod if you want to get the most possible out of the stock turbo. The Evo IXs came with the same turbo (16G6) but with improvements that allow it to make a good bit more power than both the 03-04 and 05 VIII turbos. I gained ~25whp with a direct swap and no tuning or boost changes, and it cost me $450 shipped
  • Test Pipe - you listed downpipe and "exhaust" but that typically means the downpipe and cat-back. Be sure he has a cat replacement (test pipe) to make the most power with best spool/response
  • Cams - 264s are the mildest unless they are Jun, but get those in anyway, because they are one of the best mods for the Evo
  • BOV - Upgrade the stock plastic one with an Evo IX aluminum BOV, JDM MR BOV, or Forge RS BOV
  • Wastegate Actuator - Stronger WGA for either the VIII or IX

To get the most out of a stock turbo, you have to run big boost on a race fuel equivalent:
  • Race gas (leaded or unleaded from 100 to 120oct)
    - Possibly need slightly larger injectors than stock (i.e. 650cc)
  • E-85 (best bang-for-the-buck mod ever on the Evo, imo)
    - Need much bigger injectors (880-1000cc), but it's worth it!
  • Alky/meth injection
    - No injectors needed, but need a failsafe and have to refuel alky/meth separately

As for what the stock turbo is capable of, look here:
Top 15 Fastest/Quickest – Stock Turbo Evo’s for 2008 - evolutionm.net

As you can see, even though myself (11.51) and Tobz (my tuner - 11.99)) are both in the 11s and doing quite well, we are relative chumps when compared to the rest of the country. Only one of those cars is using nitrous, and just a few are very lightweight. A few have stock cams and are running that fast, including Fathouse who just moved from 11.68 to 11.508 (barely ahead of me). The main difference for us is that those guys are at sea level, and we are at extreme altitude. I lost about half a second when I moved here, so if you take off 4-5 tenths from my 11.51, you can see I'd be right in the thick of things nationally. My car is normal weight at 3275-3300 with me in it. The top car on that list is supposedly around 2600lbs but several others are normal weight like me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement