280 cams?? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Cylinder Head & Short Block Cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, swaps, etc. Advanced modification discussions only.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

280 cams??

I am planning on putting cams in my Evo. I love the way 280 cams sound. My sponsor is putting a 35r setup on my car, so I was wondering if these cams will go with that? While my car is down, I want to port and polish my head, and do cams. I dont know a thing about the how the Evo responds to cams, so any input would be awsome. Thanks in advance.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yes, with a GT35r, you definitely want some nice 280s...

I'm confused, though. Your sponsor is putting on a $5000 GT35r kit (including supporting mods, I'm assuming), but you don't even know how the Evo responds to cams? Could you explain how that works? A GT35r is a very very serious turbo that will make a crapload of power with a lot of lag and the potential to blow the motor if you don't build it. It is the sort of thing that people only do when they know the Evo inside and out, and knowing that the Evo responds amazingly to cams is one of the most basic things there is. Most non-owner Evo enthusiasts even know this, so you slapping on a GT35 is a bit disconcerting. Will your sponsor also perform all the repairs on the engine if it blows and the drivetrain parts if they blow?

Old 07-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

They are using my car as a mock up for there up and coming kits. They are doing all of the supporting mods for the 35r also. I should have put more about me in my intro post. I will update that. And yes, they are backing up there product, and any repairs to my car 100%.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hmm, kinda weird to try to enter the game with a new GT35 when there are already so many kits out there made by the big shops who are trusted and proven. HOpefully it works out, but that could be a long, arduous process of trial and error with your car being at the forefront of all the mistakes. I only hope for the best, but having an MR that I drive daily and race often, I would personally refuse a mock up like that from a new shop that doesn't specialize in Evos. Even if Buschur offered, I'd ask for a much smaller turbo, since my car is not for drag only.

Was this what you planned to do with the Evo long term? If so, then it's potentially a grand opportunity, since there will probably be close to $15-20k spent in total for all the fabrication, the parts, the rebuilt engine, the Shep tranny, etc etc. As long as you aren't without the car too long, then that's a great benefit. If I combined all 9 of my sponsors, it MIGHT be as valuable as what you're getting, so congrats.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, that is why I joined this forum. I want to learn what it is they are going to do to my car. I am new to turbo cars. The closest I have had to a turbo is the blower on my truck. Two very different worlds though.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's a huge turbo that will lag and will require race gas 24/7 to get the full potential. To get a lot of the potential without race gas, you'll need to run alky injection. On pump gas, it will be weak, laggy, and annoying to drive on the street.

To support it, you will need large injectors, probably a standalone EMS with a possibility of running speed density without the maf, a custom header, custom downpipe, large wastegate, custom IC piping with large FMIC, upgraded fuel pump (if not two), fuel rail, fpr, at least a twin disk clutch, cams with retainers and springs in the head, etc. Although not REQUIRED, it is likely that you will need to build the engine if they go for big power (600whp), since the stock motor gives out around 550whp. Also, the stock tranny with all that power and that grabby clutch will likely grenade itself if you do any drag racing with it.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for your information. They are a Subaru shop, and getting into Evo's. They sell some very nice set ups for the STi's. Oh, to answer your question about what I plan to do with my car. I want to use the Evo for the autocross, and someday to go to a closed coarse track.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: SoCal
I know this thread is old but that turbo you are using is no good for auto cross and road courses. Sorry but can some one not know that.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8rv8
I know this thread is old but that turbo you are using is no good for auto cross and road courses. Sorry but can some one not know that.
+1, not a good idea whatsoever. I can't imagine trying to autocross with a GT35r on a 2.0...

Old 08-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: SoCal
It would be a realy boring cae in the street or auto cross. Talk about a slow spooling turbo especialy with a 2.0 I suggest you tell them what your interset and goals are for your car in the future. Not trying to be rude but some of these spomsers are just interested in themselves seems, it seems oquard that they will fix your car if it brakes.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8rv8
It would be a realy boring cae in the street or auto cross. Talk about a slow spooling turbo especialy with a 2.0 I suggest you tell them what your interset and goals are for your car in the future. Not trying to be rude but some of these spomsers are just interested in themselves seems, it seems oquard that they will fix your car if it brakes.

You need to work on your grammar

Last edited by EVILAWD; 08-29-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sorry I havn't responded to all your post. I am going with a 30r. After what Warr had said. I looked into it some more, and drove a couple of Evo's with the 35 and didn't like it at all.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Smart man. 30r will still be a little laggy and not great for auto-x, but it will be much more fun than the 35r in terms of response, daily driving, road racing, etc while on the 2.0. It can also make some damn good power, just not as much as the 35r for obvious reasons...

Old 09-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

JAYMZZ,
Good decision on the smaller turbo. I never recommend the 35R or bigger to anyone doing most of their driving on the street. I'd personally go with a 3076 but really like the spoolup of the 50trim options popping up all over the place. 50trim is looking better all the time.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Not to mention the BR 3065. My buddy in DC ran [email protected] in his 05 w/ssl on cams, used IX turbo, dynoflash and race gas. He then got the BR 3065 and just went [email protected] this weekend on race gas and his own EcuFlash tuning. 127mph traps are what people are averaging on GT35r's...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement