ALKY/Meth pros & cons, what brand kit - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Cylinder Head & Short Block Cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, swaps, etc. Advanced modification discussions only.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

ALKY/Meth pros & cons, what brand kit

Im looking to start running alky injection on my car. I am tuned with a bunch of bolt ons, cams and head studs. Just looking to see what kind of power increase I can expect and what everyone thinks about the idea. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Mike Also my mods are listed in my profile if it is needed.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Pros:

1) It's like running race gas all the time, so you get race gas-level gains of probably 25-30whp and 40-50wtq
2) It ALSO cools the intake charge dramatically
3) It steam cleans the cylinder walls
4) You only use it when you're boosting hard, so it doesn't go to waste when driving normally
5) It's much cheaper than race gas even if you get alky ($14/gal), but meth is even cheaper ($3/gal)

Cons:
1) It's dangerous, because if there is a kit failure, then you immediately go extremely lean and could blow the motor. However, this is where the built-in failsafes come into play, so choose your kit wisely
2) You have to "fill up" in separate places on separate occasions for both gas and alky/meth
3) Extra weight and lots of cabling/wiring all over the car
4) It's flammable liquid running through the body of the car

If you have E-85 readily available in your area, then I'd go that route for even more power at lower cost and no risk.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

well sounds like I should wait for the E85 cause its coming soon near me. Ive heard its kinda harder to tune alky than E85. Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Any good tuner can do both, but I think E-85 is much more complicated due to the fact it has a much different stoichiometric value and requires so much more fuel than gas.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ive been using Devils Own w/m kits for 4 years on over 50 different customer cars, never had one fail. I activate .1bar before usual det would occur and then keep the AFR 1 point lower than usual pump target when active (the meth has 1/2 the stoich value), I also dont go crazy on timing, this way if it does fail (which is unlikely) you dont go lean with massive amounts of timing... In a nut shell I use to to give me the ability to run more boost rather than lean it out or add more timing, on cars that run massive amounts of boost I run a pressure sense switch on the W/M kit that ties into the boost control solonoid so if the W/M ever drops under 100psi it will automatically put it into low boost which the vehicle does not need the W/M for.

when mixed 50/50 the fluid is hardly flammable even to direct flame contact, you can also use low temp windscreen washer fluid which is usually 30%meth/70%water.

Most progressive systems only use 5-6 wires. I only use the progressive systems.

As an idea, with heavy spirited driving & racing I use about 1/2 of the 1gallon tank of mix per tank of fuel.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
I picked up a never used Snow performance kit for cheap. I run 50/50 denaturedalky/water I have been running this for over 40k now. I have it kick in at 11 psi and go to full pressure at 16psi. I run a solid tune at 25psi. I'm also using the smallest nozzle. I gained a good amount of power and I have no knock at all. did I mention my car has 155k on it.....and around 400whp on a dynojet daily driven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement