Anybody have experience with Brian Crower Cams? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Cylinder Head & Short Block Cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, swaps, etc. Advanced modification discussions only.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Timeslip: 12.5 @ 111.28
Dynosheet: 334whp/312 lb-ft
Club Region: Midwest
Anybody have experience with Brian Crower Cams?

I am seriously thinking about going with a set of these cams. I could get a set of 272/272's with springs and retainers for less than $500.

Anyone have any experience with them? I have seen vendors say good things about them..but they also sell them.

For the money...I am on the verge of giving them a shot.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Great price from a great name, but I still have yet to see any results on customer cars, much less SUSTAINED and REPEATABLE results. I'd wait until there is more proof. Plus, $450 for GSC and Comp is still a steal for what ends up being 30whp/30wtq, and those cams are proven. HKS cams are proven, too, but they are more like $550.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I see your logic...but, somebody has to be first. I am going to go with these cams...for the price, I think it is worth the risk. I was wondering if anyone had these cams and what their experiences have been.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

I haven't seen any on any forum yet, and even one of my sponsors is pushing them, but they have no results yet either. I will let you know any and all info I hear, because it would be great for the community if these cams were reliable and powerful.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Well, I bought a set of the Brian Crower Stage II cams, the 272/272 style combo. I got a smoking deal ( $289 shipped) from Maperformance out of Minnesota. I saw their ad on DSMtuners looking to see if DSM'er's have been using these cams. There are a bunch of people using them and they are showing promising results. I felt the price was low enough that I was willing to give them a shot.

Anyway, I won't be getting them installed for a while because I refuse to drive my car in the winter because I enjoy not having to use the handy dandy blue tipped wrench on my car .

I plan on dynoing the car and running it at the track before I install them to show a before and after......I hope I can have that much self control. Plus, with not driving my car in the winter, I still have serious break in miles to do on my new clutch, so that will help.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ah, you refuse not to drive it in the winter?!! Man, the whole point of the Evo is that you can drive it anytime and anywhere. We've had 3 blizzards here in Colorado Springs, but I still drive mine daily. I wouldn't be able to stand not driving this thing all winter. I race the hell out of it, but it's still my daily driver, and I mean DAILY driver.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I wish I could be more like Warrtalon in this respect. I always get a car with intentions of driving it all the time and then it usually sits more often then not because I drive my beater all over the place. Now, my mustang should sell this weekend and come late spring/summer I'll be hunting down a DAILY(well, at least nice days ) driver(EVO) that will make my daily commute a bit more fun.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

F the beater unless the Evo is broken. Drive it daily, ohyes!!

Old 01-31-2007, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

You must have had good experiences with salt and cars.....the salt totally DESTROYS the metal on the car. I had a 1997 GSX that drove in the winter for one year....I could not break any of the bolts under the car loose after that!! I had to use a torch for everything!!! I want the MR to last more than three years, so yes, it won't be driven here in the winter.

As far as daily driven....I just moved from California. I drove the EVO every day 70 miles to work round trip. I had 24,000 miles in one year. I drove to Arizona and Montana with the car ( Good part: Hours of triple digit speeds in the desert Bad part: no cruise control to keep me in check ) I love to drive the car. Not driving it everyday makes the times I do drive it more sweet.

I love the car and it is my "fun" car. Driving cars in the winter will definitely shorten it's life span. I want to be able to work on the car without having to replace all of the bolts every damn time.

Working on your car with hand tools including turbo removal is sweet. Having snapped bolts, bolts seized with rust, having to use a torch to remove exhaust bolts that snap sucks balls.

Plus, I have a nice winter car ( 1999 Toyota 4Runner) So why mess my car up?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ah, well, that doesn't stop me. I haven't had any problems with bolts rusting like that. Maybe because they use sand here instead of salt?

Old 04-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Well I got a before dyno....but I don't know what to think of it...the torque seems way to high. The AFR looks ok...but I am baffled by the high torque number. It is on a dynojet.

Mods are: TTP email flash, Works drop in filter, 255 fuel pump, ported/coated stock manifold, coated E bay o2 housing, lower intercooler pipe, coated 2.75" down pipe, test pipe, 3" catback.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

That would indicate that you're running REALLY high boost. Where is your boost set?

Notice that you hit peak whp at around 4750rpm when you should peak at 6500rpm. This is another indication of running really high boost.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I thought I had it set for 22 at the peak....but after I the test pipe on.....the boost pegged the gauge. I am still using the stock gauge ( Stupid) But I never had a problem with the high boost before. I figured something was not right. I don't want to get a boost controller...but it looks like I'll have to.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

No reason not to get an MBC. It's an $85 mod that works wonderfully and will keep you from running dangerous boost levels like you are currently doing.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I agree 100% on this. Boost was way higher than you thought it was. The top of the gauge is 22 psi, but if you were already running that before the test pipe on a stock cat, you are probably peaking closer to 27 psi. If you were running a good high flow replacement cat before the swap to a test pipe, you are probably peaking around 25 psi now.... in either case you need to lower it a bit!

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement