Cams only - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Cylinder Head & Short Block Cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, swaps, etc. Advanced modification discussions only.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 329whp/305 lb-ft
Club Region: Midwest
Cams only

Would there be any benifit to getting cams only? As a first mod?

Looking at the GSC's:
S1 Specs gsc-6009S1
Intake 268 Exhaust 266

There are a couple reasons for this.

1st, my wife would kill me if she new that I did anything to the car. She wen't through the whole thing on my GSX and now that I bough this....it's suppose to stay stock.

2nd, I want to keep it looking as stock as possible, even to the point that Satan wouldn't notice.

I was going to get just a flash....no TBE, no MBC....just a flash, but I would like to get as much whp as possible with as minimal as possible.

Dennis
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 06:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
No, it would not make sense, especially on a IX. You can make power while remaining stealthy with a simple flash. If you want to push the envelope, then replace your cat with a test pipe, but she may notice the slight change in noise. Sounds like you should only do a flash, though. Cams would be a ridiculous choice in your situation, imo. Plus, you'd need a tune to use them anyway, so just get a flash (tune).

The flash will make power, but the problem is you need to raise boost. A flash + MBC can make 50whp, but if you can't use an MBC, then you're going to have to remove the restrictor pill that allows boost to go to 22-23psi, but it's fairly erratic. I don't like doing that, but it's going to be your only recourse.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
No, it would not make sense, especially on a IX. You can make power while remaining stealthy with a simple flash. If you want to push the envelope, then replace your cat with a test pipe, but she may notice the slight change in noise. Sounds like you should only do a flash, though. Cams would be a ridiculous choice in your situation, imo. Plus, you'd need a tune to use them anyway, so just get a flash (tune).

The flash will make power, but the problem is you need to raise boost. A flash + MBC can make 50whp, but if you can't use an MBC, then you're going to have to remove the restrictor pill that allows boost to go to 22-23psi, but it's fairly erratic. I don't like doing that, but it's going to be your only recourse.
I was reading were another guy with a IX was just doing the stage 1 with the addition to cams and an O2 housing.....thought maybe I could get away with just cams.

Is it just that the cams wont make much hp with out some supporting mods?

As far as the boost...I might do the MBC but would rather not.... but 50whp is very nice.

With removing the pill and being erratic, would the flash help control the boost?

Dennis

Old 06-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Well, yes, the flash controls boost anyway by removing the taper, but it can't really raise boost. You remove the pill to allow boost to go higher, and the flash regulates it to some degree, but it's still erratic if you ever look at a MAP sensor log of your boost profile.

Stg1 + cams is a lot different than nothing + cams. Cams are the next logical mod after doing the full stg1, but doing them with no exhaust and no MBC doesn't make much sense. Plus, they will likely be noticeable (idle lope).

Old 06-13-2007, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Thanks.

I'll stick with the flash and possibly a MBC.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement