GSC Cams? - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Cylinder Head & Short Block Cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, swaps, etc. Advanced modification discussions only.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 06:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

I'm getting mobilized in September with my Reserve unit, not sure where I will end up as I'm in a training suppport bn ( we OC/T and train other units). Maybe I'll see you on the flip side. Luckily my employer is military friendly since we are a defense contractor, so I will be able to double dip as they look at my base army pay (not any allowances like bah, bas, etc) and pay me the difference between what I make at work, which will be quite a bit for me.

On topic-
I have the gsc 272 cams and am running them with a flash and they are great, I feel them start to pull around 4k and it pulls to redline pretty good even with a factory turbo. I still have a little lope but nothing drastic and I enjoy the way it sounds, although I've had non car savvy people ask me if my car is messed up because it idles weird
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflyjmysnk View Post
I'm getting mobilized in September with my Reserve unit, not sure where I will end up as I'm in a training suppport bn ( we OC/T and train other units). Maybe I'll see you on the flip side. Luckily my employer is military friendly since we are a defense contractor, so I will be able to double dip as they look at my base army pay (not any allowances like bah, bas, etc) and pay me the difference between what I make at work, which will be quite a bit for me.

On topic-
I have the gsc 272 cams and am running them with a flash and they are great, I feel them start to pull around 4k and it pulls to redline pretty good even with a factory turbo. I still have a little lope but nothing drastic and I enjoy the way it sounds, although I've had non car savvy people ask me if my car is messed up because it idles weird
Off Topic
Contractors are making a killing in Iraq. Money shouldn't be an issue whatsoever. I know some contractors making $12K/month all tax free.

On Topic
I can't wait to get the 272's installed and tuned with everything else. It won't happen before I return to Iraq but I'm thinking that after Christmas I'll be ready to get everything installed and tuned. I'm looking at a 400whp/350wtq combination when it's all said and done with my RNR 50 Trim with methanol and the other "goods".
Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

I'm not a contracter, I work at Lockheed Martin as a test engineer in product design, and joined the reserves after I got off of active duty in 2005.

The reserve unit I am in is mobilizing me to Fort Riley in Sept and then I'm not sure where I'm going after I get there.

I'm a SFC so my base pay is around $3300 not including bas, bah, etc, however my company looks at that $3300 and pays me the difference between what I make at my civilian job at lockheed, so my company will pay me around $2600 a month while I'm mobilized/deployed with the army even though with all my bah and bas allowances /family separation pay I would make about the same money being deployed as what I would make at my civilian job. Essentially I'm double dipping which will be (borat voice) "very nice"/end borat voice. I will also be drawing around $1200 a month in per diem because the Army is setting us up in hotels while I'm at Ft Riley, although I don't now how long that will be.

This is good because I just bought a $240k house and although I will only live there until september before I go I can make large payments towards the principal and still have enough ducats to get my gt35r installed and setup while still being able to save and invest. I'm letting a couple that are friends of my wife and I rent our house while we are gone for fairly cheap (about half our mortgage payment) but I would prefer having someone live in it while we are gone because houses seem to fall apart if they aren't lived in, plus the rent money will be even more income for us and it will help them get back on their feet as their daughter had to have a very expensive ear surgery. Things appear to be working out rather well for us financially, and I love being a soldier except for being away from my daughter.

Anyway, not that we have completely gone off topic, I think you will be happy with the 272s, I don't know how much hp they add as i installed them along with a methanol injection and evo 9 turbo, but I managed over 400whp and tq with 28psi on the 9 turbo with the methanol on, you get alot of torque from the methanol. I would expect you will probably exceed your 400/350 goal with the 50 trim, although I think I read in another thread you where going to use a boost juice or a meth mix. I would highly recommend running 100% methanol on your setup, you will make more power and there is no reason to dilute it. The mixes claim the water helps remove heat but the methanol has a high heat latency and will cool down the cylinder temps as well as raise your octane significantly, more so than a diluted mix.

Good luck on your setup, I'm sure when you get it all together and running you will be amazed at how much better the car will pull with cams and meth, not too mention the extra cfm from the .50 trim.

Take care.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflyjmysnk View Post
I'm not a contracter, I work at Lockheed Martin as a test engineer in product design, and joined the reserves after I got off of active duty in 2005.

The reserve unit I am in is mobilizing me to Fort Riley in Sept and then I'm not sure where I'm going after I get there.

I'm a SFC so my base pay is around $3300 not including bas, bah, etc, however my company looks at that $3300 and pays me the difference between what I make at my civilian job at lockheed, so my company will pay me around $2600 a month while I'm mobilized/deployed with the army even though with all my bah and bas allowances /family separation pay I would make about the same money being deployed as what I would make at my civilian job. Essentially I'm double dipping which will be (borat voice) "very nice"/end borat voice. I will also be drawing around $1200 a month in per diem because the Army is setting us up in hotels while I'm at Ft Riley, although I don't now how long that will be.

This is good because I just bought a $240k house and although I will only live there until september before I go I can make large payments towards the principal and still have enough ducats to get my gt35r installed and setup while still being able to save and invest. I'm letting a couple that are friends of my wife and I rent our house while we are gone for fairly cheap (about half our mortgage payment) but I would prefer having someone live in it while we are gone because houses seem to fall apart if they aren't lived in, plus the rent money will be even more income for us and it will help them get back on their feet as their daughter had to have a very expensive ear surgery. Things appear to be working out rather well for us financially, and I love being a soldier except for being away from my daughter.

Anyway, not that we have completely gone off topic, I think you will be happy with the 272s, I don't know how much hp they add as i installed them along with a methanol injection and evo 9 turbo, but I managed over 400whp and tq with 28psi on the 9 turbo with the methanol on, you get alot of torque from the methanol. I would expect you will probably exceed your 400/350 goal with the 50 trim, although I think I read in another thread you where going to use a boost juice or a meth mix. I would highly recommend running 100% methanol on your setup, you will make more power and there is no reason to dilute it. The mixes claim the water helps remove heat but the methanol has a high heat latency and will cool down the cylinder temps as well as raise your octane significantly, more so than a diluted mix.

Good luck on your setup, I'm sure when you get it all together and running you will be amazed at how much better the car will pull with cams and meth, not too mention the extra cfm from the .50 trim.

Take care.
Staying on topic (check your PM for off topic discussions)

I guess it all comes down to the price-to-power ratio. I can purchase 99.5% methanol in 5-gallon containers for $63 from Hiper Fuels in Houston or I can purchase a 49/51 (methanol/water) mix from Snow Performance in 4-gallon containers for $25. To me, that's a done deal because I really don't think the overall difference between the two would constitute me going with the 99.5% methanol route. I am excited about getting everything installed and tuned once I get back from Iraq.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
100% meth is definitely worth it for making more power, and it usually is only $3/gal. $12/gal for meth is not right - that's the cost of 100% denatured alky.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

I get my meth from a truck stop for under $3 a gallon or a place locally called Day Automotive that sells if for about the same.

If you order it online you have to pay a hazmat fee that will add a substantial amount to the total.

I'm sure there are places in Houston that have it local as it is also used for some commercial purposes. There is a place in Navasota, TX which is about a hour and a half from houston that used to sell 100% meth from a pump as well as a variety of race fuels when I was stationed there in the late 90s. Might check into that as well. Ordering it online kills you $$$ with shipping and the hazmat fee.

PS. Sorry for the Army threadjack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement