Pulling head, need advice... - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Cylinder Head & Short Block Cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, swaps, etc. Advanced modification discussions only.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Pulling head, need advice...

Recently I had a mishap where my timing belt skipped a few teeth, it is all taken care of now; however, I am pretty sure that I bent a valve. The car still runs, and still seems to make about the same power as it did before, but there is a very faint ticking that was not there before. I will be testing it soon to see if it does indeed have any bent valves. If so, I will be pulling the head, I will be bringing it to a machine shop for them to look at and I will be replacing the valves, valve springs, retainers, etc.

I have been looking into these things, I have noticed that BC valves and springs, and Supertech ones seem to be good, and good for the money. But I am not sure which would be best to use...any ideas?

I have read that boring the head would be pointless without being ported, and would actually only add to the weight of the valvetrain, so it would just be better to leave it oem size...not sure if that is true or not?

I will have BC Stage 2(272) cams with supporting mods...just wondering if I could get people thoughts on which valves/springs, and weather boring makes sense?

Also was wondering about preferences on head gaskets, I hear the OEM one is just fine....not sure though. But I am also not sure what turbo I will end up with in the future (if that makes a difference) right now I am looking at a green but I may do otherwise don't know...

And also any other suggestions for things that should be done would be helpful too...I will be using ARP head studs.

Last edited by chriseacrett; 03-11-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hopefully the ticking you hear is just the lifters. Still do the compression check though and let us know how it comes out.
I'm never heard of "boring the head." Are you talking about a valve job and upgraded valves? Over sized valves? What exactly does this entail?
If you do have to pull the head, you might as well get it ported. Better flow is better flow. Take it off once, get it done, and never worry about having to do it again, or have that funny feeling in the back of your head; "I wonder if I should have ported the head?"
If your going with BC cams, I can't think of a reason not to go with BC springs. Any spring and retainer compination of equal quality shoud suit you just fine.
When my time comes I might consider these;
FFWD Connection - Race Injuns That Will Freeze Your Brain

Old 03-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Rocky Mountain
If you have the head off get it ported. Send it off to Buschur or find a local shop that has a good rep and have them do it. I have mine done. and it helps when flowing alot of air with a big a$$ turbo. Some may say the gains are minimal but when you get into the higer HP you will need all the air you can get.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, I did the compression test and all four cylinders are around 180psi...in the manual it says that the average should be about 163psi, so I don't know if this is good, bad or what...

If that is normal, I am guessing it is probably just the lifters...I have not installed the cams yet, so I guess I am not sure as to why they would be acting up, but either way I guess, I would prefer it be the lifters anyways...

By bored, I meant overzied...but anyway...sorry
Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you have lifter tick that is also easily resolved. When you install the cams drop in some JAM big-bore lifters as well. I installed them in my head after developing a tick and now it's gone!

180psi is awesome for compression test so I doubt you did any damage.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
brp

i got some brand new OEM head gaskets here that i'm looking to get rid of for cheap! pm me if interested
Old 03-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh yea forgot to add...

AMS still runs the OEM head gasket on thier 8.56 second drag Evo. That should tell you something
Old 03-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

alright, so i finally got all the parts that i needed to finish this job, and everything is back together and running!

now i have done the compression check and everything seemed okay, so the other theory is that it is the lifters...well, i didn't have a mechanics stethoscope so instead i used a screwdriver and listened to a few different things...put over the valve cover and everything seemed fine(no ticking) put it on the fuel injectors and TAP TAP TAP TAP....so, as far as i can tell, it is the fuel injectors...

i am wondering why they would have all of a sudden tapping like this? from what i have seen this is normal, so i guess i am not too worries about it....but they didn't do it before, and now they are tapping just all of a sudden, so i am just confused

UPDATE: the tapping noise can be heard with the hood down, and in the car...also, a little while ago i was misfiring a lot, changed the plugged and it seemed fine...the plugs i changed were not even a year old(don't know if that is related or not)

i have heard that you can lightly tap the injectors while the car is running to free them if they are clogged, not sure if that is a good idea or not...
Old 03-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

You have the same thing as me. My injectors tick up a storm... Its normal for them, and alot of people think its lifter like I did, when it really is the injectors..
Mine all of a sudden one day just started to tick, and have been ticking... I have used seafoam, to clean them out, I guess it cleaned them, but didnt get rid of the tick... I suggest using new lifters/ but match them to the cam tho.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

now as far as the seafoam goes, i will be putting it in the gas of course...
how much would be a good amount to use in the gas? and i have read that the oil should be changed after using it, however i am guessing that they are talking about when you actually use it in your oil? i just want to put it in my gas and go and be done with tapping fuel injectors, just want to make sure that is the right stuff, and i don't want to change my oil as i just did...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement