Set of cams to buy - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Cylinder Head & Short Block Cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, swaps, etc. Advanced modification discussions only.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Set of cams to buy

I was browsing looking for some cams, 272's, and was wondering on your opinions on these brands for evo's: Jun, XS racemax, or HKS. I'm leaning towards the JUN but not 100% sure at the moment. Just want the best for the ride, thanks.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

I had HKS 265/272-a bit pricey but ran very well. Not sure how the Jun perform or are priced.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Any particular reason you chose those brands? Jun is awesome and possibly the best, but they are very radical cams. You will need to upgrade other parts of the head and also need a standalone ECU to properly tune them, since they won't work well with the stock MAF. I've never heard of XS racemax and would not recommend them as they are not a well-known and proven cam set within the Evo community. HKS cams are awesome, well-proven, and widely-used. However, they will cost you at least $100 more than other widely-used cams that make just as much power (and somtimes more).

My first suggestion would be GSC cams. You can get a set of 272s shipped for $450-475. After that, if you don't want those, you can try Comp Cams or Crower Cams. None of these require spring/retainer upgrades.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspec
...I Just want the best for the ride, thanks.
Are you willing to spend the extra money for springs and retainers required by some of these cams? The answer to this question will narow down your cam selection some.
Some of these cams say they don't require springs/retainers, but if you want to rev past 7200 RPM's they do. Look into it.
XS Engineering has great stuff and their facilty is top notch. I would not hesitate running anything they have to offer (I'm just poor ). Call them if you have any questions.
http://www.xs-engineering.com/xsstor...&idproduct=611

Old 10-26-2006, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was thinking the JUNs would be great because bulletproof is selling them in a package w/the whole retainers and springs. What do you think? Would a flash be ok to tune them as well?
Old 10-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

No. I already answered that. If you could, then everyone would have the JUN cams, because they make great power. They just aren't made for stock-ish cars. They are for race cars.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

I see well guess i'm gonna go for the HKS 272's then thanks for the help, would it be advised though to upgrade the springs and retainers for the 272's?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok, so you're still willing to pay $100 more for HKS to not make any extra power, or did you not see my altnerative suggestions?

You don't need to upgrade springs/retainers with 272s if they are HKS or any of the others I listed.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well the thing is i got a friend who gets me discounts plus no shipping charge for parts, so the price really isn't an issue besides the HKS's were my original choice till i found out bout the JUNS but since they're to aggresive i'm going to stick to the HKSs. I've heard great things though about the GSC's and Comps though but i'm going to stick w/the HKS. Thanks Warr for the advise though
Old 07-24-2007, 06:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

i like the best poor man's cams - hks "mega dependable & great bang for the buck!"
Old 07-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

If ya got a great price on HKS then that's not a bad choice at all. They are still considered great cams but unfortunately they have been surpassed in pricing with equal quality.

AMS in Chicago has specifically said that the JUN's are nearly impossible to tune correctly with the limits of the stock ECU hence the reason why it is recommended to use a stand-alone. All of AMS's supercars run the JUN's as they've yet to find a cam that can beat them in power delivery for high-horsepower applications.

Last edited by Evolvd; 07-25-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

I actually went with Crower cams. I did some research on the hks, crower, and gsc cams and the performance was pretty equal. Crower made the most sense to me because my car is my daily driver and will be easy enough to tune without a stand alone.

Just putting in my 2 cents,

Plus I was able to get Crower cams for less than $350 for pair of 272's. And don't need a spring kit!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

I still haven't seen hardly any results on the Crower cams. Also, all those other cams in the same market are normal for use without a standalone and without upgraded springs/retainers (GSC, Comp, BC, HKS, etc). It's just the JUN, Revolvers, Tomei, etc., that are really raucous.

Chuck, where have lots of dyno and track results for the Crower cams? I haven't been able to recommend them, because I simply haven't seen any repeatable results so far.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Over at EvoM they seem to have good reviews so far as I can tell. In one post a guy had AMS tune his car with Crower 272's and had mentioned to the owner that they made a little less power than they think the HKS would have but were good none-the-less. If you are interested in every HP for your penny these might not be your first pick but from what I can gather they seem to be doing just fine.

Edit: Forgot to add that GSC and Cosworth are about the most popular right now and seem to be producing similar power outputs with similar mods. If Justin wants to chime in I'm sure he's seen plenty of logs with both sets of cams to tell you what he thinks.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Timeslip: 12.6 @ 113
Dynosheet: 490whp/468 lb-ft
GSC seems doing a good job now

alot of ppl have them i order them but i didnt install yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement