bad struts? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

bad struts?

alright, so i think i have bad front struts
at low speed (less than 10mph) every little bumpe and crack in the road gives my front end that "pinging" sound when struts go bad; however, it does not do it at speeds above about 10 or so, so it may not be that, it could be something loose, or maybe they are supposed to sound like that

basically i am just trying to figure out what the deal is with that, and if they are indeed bad if so i would need help deciding what to replace them with...oem struts, or aftermarket coilovers(if so, which ones) my biggest concern is that i do not want to compromise handling at all, i do not care to lower it, the ride is okay but if i can keep the handling and get a better ride that would be good and i have heard that the struts on the MRs give you that (bilstein)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

From what i hear, the New Tanabe Sustec Pro Sevens are supposed to be excellent for handling and ride comfort. Plus its availiable with the "TEAS" which is Tanabe's version of TEINs EDFC. That is one option ive been looking into for Coilovers. These were suggested to me by Signal Auto.

Here is the Link: http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/SEVEN.asp

I had a problem similar to that... Actually i still am.... I was told that it could be my LSD clicking due to uneven tire wear and the alignment being off. I will find out soon if it still happens with my new tires and alignment.. So it might not be the strut. Just a thought.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
The struts don't normally go out like that unless you have aftermarket springs. I would have them checked out by a suspension professional before buying anything.

The MR Bilsteins do provide great performance but with stock ride height. They perform better than the regular Evo struts while also being softer for daily driving, so you get the best of both worlds. They are not as good as a set of aftermarket coilovers, but they are better than blown struts!

I upgraded to coilovers on my MR, so if you're interested in my Bilsteins, let me know.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

that sounds good, i think even if my struts are good i am still very interested in that
could you pm me some pictures, and price?

it doesn't seem like struts because my experience with bad struts is that they make that awful noise all the time, and mine only does it at lower speeds, and it seems to have no effect on the handling of my car say on mid corner bumps...

also sometimes when i am driving at ~40+mph and hit a dip in the road there is this strange noise from my front left tire that sounds like to pieces of broken plastic scraping together (i have a broken bumper, soon to be replaced, so that could be it, but i dont think that it is) so anyway this could all be related or maybe not....but i will probably have to take it to someone anyway

but when you said lsd clicking do you mean all of the time? or just on bumps?

another is that at higher speeds ~60+mph there is light wheel vibrations, and i just got new tires and an alignment....it is very minor but kind of annoying, and it could be related
Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

What im talking about, the LSD clicks @ only low speeds and when hitting bumps. its an un even clicking.. like random, not a steady rhythmic clicking (like a bad axle or whatever). My car doesnt seem to be doing it anymore now that its aligned and has new tires.

I agree with Warr.... go get your struts checked out by a professional, and then get your alignment checked...if the struts are fine and your alignment is out...get it set and see if that resolves your problem. if not, continue troubleshooting.

I checked out the struts, springs (incase they were shifting in the perches), linkage, bushings and a laundry list of other things untill someone suggested this problem. Now its fixed from what i can tell.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Chris, I have seen the Bilsteins listed for $700-800 on EvoM, and I would gladly sell mine for $600. I'll get some pics for you, but I know there's not much to look at. They are dirty from lots of use, but they work great and still have the springs attached to make it easier.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am still trying to figure out what this clicking is....my alignment is still off so it still could be what i posted earlier...but im starting to not think so. Ill keep trying to figure it out and post my findings. Sorry i couldnt be more help.

**Edit**
I just talked to some people and they are saying the clicking could be coming from a damaged wheel bearing..... just a thought. Im going to get mine checked out.

Last edited by turbosmartevo8; 03-16-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: new info
Old 03-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

some new discoveries:
my steering wheel vibrates at speeds from 60mph to 80mpg, anything before or after that it is perfect and does not move at all, literally exactly at 60, and it goes away exactly at 80
it seems kind of strange that it stops all together, you would figure that it would only get worse

also

the front of the car seems a little bouncier than normal, still handles fine but the whole car is just not as ridgid as it used to be...

i will be taking it back to the place that i had it aligned to have them check it out to see if it is an alignment issue, i need to get it inspected as well so they should be checking wheel bearings, struts, ball joints, etc. if it is any of those things than i will know....
Old 03-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

thats a weird situation. I would double check things like engine/trans mounts, and suspension mounts, they may be allowing flex and vibration creating problems. I hate tough problems like this, they can go on forever it seems.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Okay so I got my wheel vibration things taken care of
Aparently there was mud inside of my tire, a bit of it too...not sure how, but hey why not...
and also the tires slipped on the rims and they needed to balanced...so, i figured i would share that so if that ever happens to anyone, never heard of that before!

i still have not got the clicking taken care of, i brought it into a shop and they looked at it but were not able to tell me because they were closed by the time i got there, but by the sounds of it it is nothing too bad
Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

wheel bearings are more of a rubbing/scratching sound not a clicking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement