car acting funny wont steer right?? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

car acting funny wont steer right??

i just recently got all my bolt ons on my car but lately i have been having steering problems first.. my cars power steering went out so i had the factory fix it but now when ever i make right turn on my car i hear something on my right drivers side snape and then the steering wheel fights me and after i hear something snap i goes back to normal i took it to mitsubishi and they told me that it might be my transfer case that is done....... i am not too shure on that but what my question is could it be something else like a poped axel or racket pinion??..........not shure what that is but they say that could be it so what do you guys think?/

the problems that i am haveing are i hear something craking or snapping when i make a right turn i also feel like my front brakes kind of lock up when i get off first gear....... also i get a jerk when i turn my steering wheel to the right and go in a circle and it also snaps as well
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I doubt it has something to do with the axels. Transfercase???
Chances are they didn't fix something right when they did the power steering job. Take it back, have the service writer or tech sit in the car, and go for a ride. Recreate the snap and make right turns, or better yet, have them drive it.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

i went thier today and they told me that that it could be my transfer case..... but what i am thinking is that if it was would i lose power all around not just having the front lock up my friend drove it and he said that it could also be my differantial that they could be locking up because when i turn he said that it feels like one tire wants to spin but the other wont until it snaps...... i might go tomarrow to mitsubishi to have them check it out but they said if it;s not something that os not coverd through warranty they said i would have to pay a 100 bucks... so i'm trying to avoid that.... what do you think take it anyway??

Old 12-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I can't see why it wouldn't be covered. Have you been beating on the car? How many "bolt ons" are we talking about here?

Old 12-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

i have full exshaust down pipe test pipe cut out muffler cold air intake turbo manifol turbo outlet pipe......hard pipes hot an cold short shifter bushings turbo timer thats about it
Old 12-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Put those "bolt ons" in your profile so people don't have to ask.

Jared
Old 12-20-2006, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Take it in. It needs to be fixed, whatever it is and the parts you've listed wouldn't have effected the steering. You also don't have a boost controller so it's not like you had the boost cranked way up and putting down gobs of power that killed the TC; even if that's the problem. They shouldn't deny you warranty coverage, but they will try to.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks guys..... i just went and had them chekc it out they said it was my cv joints i think it is part of the drivers side axel isnt it..... i havent gone back for them to fix it cuz they dnt have the part...... but thanks for the info......turbolarry u said that since i didnt crank up the boost i should be still coverd for my tc.... but right now withoout my boost controller i am boosting higher then stock right now would that affect it at all??
Old 01-03-2007, 06:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ive seen alot of the same issues caused by wheel bearings and tierod ends... hope that helps
Old 01-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

I am having the same problem with my IX. I'm thinking that the problem is from the spring moving when the wheel is cranked all the way to one side or the other and not returning to the correct position when the steering wheel is straightened. I have swift springs installed on the factory rubber seating surface, as called for. The problem that I am having is that the car will wander off for no reason and all of a sudden be back to normal. I hear a binding spring noise when it happens. I really don't think that it is the TC.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

it does sound like CV joints, they frequently pop/crack when they fail.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

thanks guys i took it to the dealer again and they told me that one of things wrong with my car is the the clamps holding my axels i guess snap off the broke and they had to replace those but he also told me that most likely that still isnt the problem that he still thnks it's my tc.... also last day i had it when i was driving it normal it was okay but hwne i wanted to go full throttel it acted like my clutch was slippin i now it's not my clutch but would busted axels do that too??........ also one thing is a tc were to fail what would be the most likey problems that would give it away how could u tell if it was my tc??
Old 01-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

with differentials and tranfer cases, the first place to look is fluid condition. metal shavings or burned fluids are frequent signs of problems. I would check that out first.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

well just got back fr4om the dealer they replaced my two cv joints but he said that thier was something that hit the botton of my car and said that thier is still noise coming from the tc even after the replaced my cv joints and when i drove back i still feel like my car doesnt grab like the power doesnt get it right away and thier is also a scratch on my tc do you think i should look into replaceing my fluids first ir do you guys think it is my tc??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement