Continental Extreme Contact DW - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Supporting Vendor

Club Region: Southwest
Continental Extreme Contact DW

Continental Extreme Contact DW
UTQG: 340 AA A (All Sizes)

Click here for:Sizes, Specs, and Pricing on Continental Extreme Contact DW

The ExtremeContactTM DW has pushed the envelope in performance with completely new technology exclusive to Continental Tire. The ExtremeContactTM DW delivers excellent traction and responsive handling in both wet and dry conditions, improved ride comfort, all while delivering better mileage at industry leading rolling resistance levels.

Benefits:
*Enhanced performance in dry conditions.
*Improved water evacuation for outstanding wet handling.
*Reduced distortion for enhanced energy delivery, lower rolling resistance and improved treadlife.
*Consumer friendly indicators alert drivers to tire's performance level in Dry and Wet conditions
Tread Wear Indicators:

Consumer friendly indicators alert drivers about tire's performance level in Dry and Wet conditions.

DW indicates tire is tuned for optimum performance (D for Dry, W for Wet).

When indicators disappear, tire is no longer tuned for optimum performance in that particular road condition

Dry Performance
ExtremeContactTM DW has a unique “chamfered edge” technology for dry performance. This dry road surface technology generates greater acceleration grip, handling and braking traction in dry conditions. Solid outer shoulder and chamfered pattern edges concentrates on a maximum surface contact, resulting in increased traction.

Wet Performance
The Continental ExtremeContactTM DW has high void to tread ratio which improves water evacuation for outstanding wet handling.Void to tread ratio means the amount of void area in the tread vs. the amount of tread pattern making contact with the road surface. This void allows water to be absorbed into the pattern and then quickly evacuated.

Dynamic Temperature Distribution
The Continental ExtremeContactTM DW has industry leading treadlife combined with lower rolling resistance and improved energy delivery to the road surface. This outstanding combination of traction, long wear and reduced rolling resistance is accomplished thought “Dynamic Temperature Distribution”.

(content provided by conti-online.com)

If you are running the Continental Extreme Contact DW, post your review here along with a picture or two - we (as well as Continental) would love to read them.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 09-01-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 04 EVO
Club Region: SoCal
I just bought these tires coincidentally from these guys onlinetires because they offer good prices for this particular tire and I saved on shipping because they let you pick up locally. So for my review, I only remember using continentals once before when I didn't know much about tires, but I was drifting with them and stuff in a lexus, my mental notes were smooth ride and predictable handling, could use a little more grip, these were probably their really old model though like a decade ago. So I needed new tires for my evo 8 and saw these up on tirerack and noticed a new things about the specs that are not that well advertized up front. I think the better gas milage has alot to do with the fact that this tire is 4 pounds lighter EACH than OEM Yoko ADVANS(and most other tires, I dunno about that whole low rolling resistance?), I havn't tested my milage yet but from what I read it does slightly improve. But it does also seem to give the handling advantages of removing 16 pounds total of unsprung weight, and I can totally feel the lightness on the turns(I like to think of it as near equivalent of having the lighter MR rims).

The second little detail that I never noticed before was the overall diameter was same and the rpms was near identical if not more prefereable than the OEM ADVANS, I compare all tires to the advans cause we all know how good they are. I made the mistake of getting slightly larger diameter tires before(not larger tire size, same size but the tread sticks out 0.1inch more or so on certain tire brands) and paid the price of increased clutch burn, reduced torque on take offs, and worse handling, because the car was engineered around the OEM tires I personally believe it's best to try and match it. the Yokos had 822RPM and these Contis have 824 so only 2 more which means the diameter is ever so slightly smaller(like broken in tires) but have identical overall diameter measurements (25.3inch), I had a couple tires that were like 815 or 819 RPMS and they were .1inch larger(25.4inch) overall diameter and I could really feel the difference in the evo, getting the wrong tire can make driving an awsome car like the evo not much fun at all.

I havn't taken the tire to the limits yet but I have driven Contis before and these seem to have similar behaviors but new and improved, I was impressed by how the car was feeling on the turns(very grippy) and in general because they are always smooth, but I don't want to drive too hard before it's even broken in so I havn't gone sideways yet, and I'm never done judging a tire till I'm completely done with it to the end of tread, but I think I will be satisfied with the breakaway characteristics, that's what I like about Contis, the predictability of handling when you are at the cars limits, some tires break away suddenly and hard, but Contis behave smoothly at the limits and let go progressively and not suddenly. But So far they are holding up to my expectations and high standards, even exceeding perhaps more expensive tires from my other favorite brands such as Yokohama and Pirelli. I read about weak sidewalls and such but it's much stronger than what I was expecting from this lightweight tire.

I was inbetween getting the new Hankook Ventus RS3 racing drift tire that is like a total copy of advans(for really cheap by the way) but I just went with these because they last longer and are lighter.

I noticed there are near none evo reviews for this tire and I was going to keep it my little secret but I'll share my wisdom I guess. Learn from my mistakes and at least take into account the reasons why I buy a tire like this, and apply to any other tire you buy if you have an evo.

edit: I just noticed while looking at the tire that that tread pattern is very unique, there seems to be a pattern of chamfered edged and non chamfered around the outer shoulder blocks and also they alternate between smaller and larger shoulder blocks, some are small and some are larger length blocks, I think this is an innovative design that might be responsible for the cornering characteristics.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement