Dropping only the front end? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Dropping only the front end?

Just wondering if anyone here has lowered just the front suspension, and if so, how has it worked out for you?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
I haven't seen anyone mention it, but just another bit of advice like on the IC pipes is that the Evo, unlike any DSM, has a finely tuned and balanced suspension. If you want to IMPROVE your handling by changing the suspension, the recommendation is to get a proper set of adjustable coilovers that allow you to maintain a non-harsh ride while drastically improving the handling characteristics, removing body roll, and lowering the center of gravity. Just using the term "dropping" makes me cringe, because I get the impression you want to just lower the front end with springs or something. Is there a particular reason for that related to drag racing or something? I hadn't heard of anyone trying to do that for a specific racing reason, so pardon my ignorance if there is such a reason.

Just remember that if you just install springs, it will eventually blow the shocks, and the handling will not be improved, but the ride height will be lower.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just had to replace my front struts from Tein lowering springs. With the Tiens, the front sat a lot lower than the rear. IMO I lost a lot of suspension performance from this stance. I personally would not recomend it. Unless you like a lot of understeer.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

6 months old!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Tein S tec springs make the car look alot lower in the front than it does in the back.

(2.0" front .9" back)

So it would give you that effect of a lowered front end. Suspension performance is compromised with this set up though so if you worried about handling, you'll want a good complete set of coilovers
Old 02-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

how much benefit is there from just lowering the vehicle, anyways? Improving spring rates, shock reactions and curves, and corner balancing I understand, but just dropping (our cars specifically) an inch doesnt seem like much of a balance improvement, just a visual improvement.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

It does have the effect of lessening body roll and lowering the center of gravity, but that's all, and those things are not that valuable without also tuning the rest of the suspension.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

thats what I thought. basically a "complete package" suspension has the benefits of lower CG, while the main improvements are other areas
Old 02-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

At one point while owning my 95 Talon TSI, I found a pair of free "front only" Tein lowering springs. Since I was having traction issues, being a FWD making decent power I decided to try and drop it in the front with the idea that more weight would sit up front, ideally giving me more traction. After installing the springs, the car looked meaner, with kinda of a musclecar stance. The whole time driving with them installed though, I really didn't see any improvement in traction or launching, and it gave me such a negative camber that the tires would have worn out in just a few months. Definitely not worth it.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood95 View Post
At one point while owning my 95 Talon TSI, I found a pair of free "front only" Tein lowering springs. Since I was having traction issues, being a FWD making decent power I decided to try and drop it in the front with the idea that more weight would sit up front, ideally giving me more traction. After installing the springs, the car looked meaner, with kinda of a musclecar stance. The whole time driving with them installed though, I really didn't see any improvement in traction or launching, and it gave me such a negative camber that the tires would have worn out in just a few months. Definitely not worth it.
Why wouldn't you get your camber adjusted? That would have solved the tire wear problem.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Maybe no adjustment range on the stock eccentric bolts.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Even if there isn't adjustment stock, a camber correction kit would be cheaper than going through a set of tires every couple months.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Since I did not see or feel any performance gain, I didn't feel like it was worth it to keep the front end so low and purchase the camber kit to correct it, so I went back to stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

« coilovers? | Pads »