I'm lost when it comes to tires... - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm lost when it comes to tires...

I can't get Advan 046's, Falken Azenis RT-615's, or Bridgestone KD's The treadware on these are too low.

Kumho MX; rated a little better (220 ) and the price is right. Grip and sidewall?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=ECSTA+MX

BF G-Force Sport; the treadware and price is right, but again how's the performance?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=g-Force+Sport

Kumho Ecsta SPT; again tread and price is right, but I know they sacrifice performance.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=ECSTA+SPT

Falken Azenis ST115; how do they grip? I'm afraid ask with a 360 wear rating.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...15&rd=17&ar=45

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW; treadware is good but how's the grip? This is the absolute maximum I want to spend.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....orce+T%2FA+KDW

I think these are what I have to choose from.
I don't care about noise, I have an RS.
I don't care about wet traction, I'm in socal and only do 65mph in the rain.
I want the most grip for the dollar (I'm cheap), I have never taken stock Advans to their limit. My car will never track, I don't dump the clutch, but when I'm late for work, I get on it. If you have personal exerience with some of these tires please let me know your thoughts and opinions. I'm lost.
Thanks.

Last edited by turbolarry; 03-22-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
I'd like you to check out a new tire in the Avon line that is in the low 100s and is supposed to be pretty good compared to the RT-615s. I have no first-hand experience with the ones you listed. I personally plan on getting 255 RT-615s, since they are so cheap. I want to have the awesome traction at all times and want to be able to cut 1.6 60's at the drag strip on my stree tires, so I don't mind the treadwear.

Have you considered buying barely-used Advans for replacement tires every 15k miles or so? You can get them off toolbags who buy Evos and then immediately upgrade to blingy 18s with some super low-profile tire. That's what I plan to do if I can find a great deal. I've seen some people sell the entire stock rims and tires (<500 miles) for $400. If I find that deal when I'm ready, I'll buy the set, use the tires, then sell the rims for $400 themselves.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I'd like you to check out a new tire in the Avon line that is in the low 100s and is supposed to be pretty good...
Great another one to add to my confusion.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=Tech+M500
I've thought about getting used stockers.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Bf Goodrich G-force are very nice, I have them on my 240sx and they last a while depending on what you do
Old 03-23-2006, 11:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 338whp/371 lb-ft
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
don't ever go by the treadwear rating. all tires do their own standardized tests so its not accurate info. one companys 360 TW rating may differ from other company's TW rating.
try a set of Toyo Proxes 4's they have never let me down. they're hands down my favorite all season UHP tire. they actually grip about as well as the A046's and thats awesome for an all-season. ive got about 30k on em on my 92 dsm and have some life on em still. and ive got about 2k on em on my evo. pm me for some prices for the toyo's if you'd like.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

For the money, Kumho makes a great tire.
Like Warr I have no first hand experience with the tires you listed. I know the BFG (both) are good tires.
For street I used Dunop FM901's. I've also autocrossed and drag raced on these tires. I'm able to get 16,000mi out of them easily with many auto-x and drag passes on them. They have a softer sidewall than the Advans but they will last longer, plus they are a lot cheaper. 235/45/17 are like $93 a piece before shipping.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

warrtalon, where are you getting those rt-615's from and whats the average price for them, ive been tryin to find them for some time but i havent really searched just kinda kept an eye out, thx
Old 04-05-2006, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArkid0101
warrtalon, where are you getting those rt-615's from and whats the average price for them, ive been tryin to find them for some time but i havent really searched just kinda kept an eye out, thx
I found them here for $125;
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...03&rd=17&ar=45

PS
4 Kumho MX's arrived at my door Monday. I'll write about them soon.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks for the find
Old 04-13-2006, 03:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

i had the BFG gforce sports on my evo, and while they did last a long time..they were a very hard tire, not providing very good grip. i personally would never buy them again...a tire you might want to check out is the hankook ventus k104. while being a cheaper tire...it is a very good tire with adequate treadwear and plenty of grip. but i def would have to agree with everyone about the azenis...cause i even have the RT-215's and i love them!
Old 04-13-2006, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
I have the Dunlop sp sport Fm901's on mine and they work but the treadwear sucks. I have heard the BFG G-force sports perform just as well as the KDW's but just don't have the high price tag for the aggressive tread design. I am getting the BFG g-force sports this summer for mine.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Southeast
has anybody used the AVS ES 100's or the ADVAN sports from yokohama? i have been eyeballin them for awhile now. i wanna stick with the brand but dont wanna pay 200+ for the oems.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Of the tires you listed, in the order of what I would buy are:

- Falken Azenis - the treadwear is deceptive. As mentioned above, treadwear is an arbitrary measure of a tires wear characteristics compared to other tires manufactured by that same company. For example, the Toyo RA1 originally came out with a treadwear rating of 40 to show how "grippy" it was, but when people didn't buy it cause they thought it would wear too fast and some racing groups set limits on tire rating, they upped the rating to 100 even though they didn't change the compound. I got about 20,000 miles out of my last set of Azenis RT-615's, and that included a ton of autocrosses and about 80 drag launches. Finally the inside edge wore down because I was running alot of negative camber, but the middle and outside were just fine. If you run about -1.5 neg. camber in the front (stock, I think) they should last over 20K.

- Kumho MX - a good tire, little bit softer sidewall. AMS place 3rd overall in One Lap of America on these tires.

- KDW's - heard good things about them. Good looking tread pattern.

EVOlutionary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement