Lowering the front creates oversteer or understeer? - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

But, for the sake of argument, let's assume that driving is not the issue here.

ghoonk, to reduce understeer I'd recommend you fist take a look at playing with your tire pressures - it's probably the easiest thing to do and makes a big difference, plus then you'll be able to rule out the tire variable somewhat.

I recommend looking at your fornt tire wear and, if you're not wearing down near to the outer limits of the tread/shoulder, then try decreasing the front tire pressure slightly until you are whil ekeeping the rear tire pressure consistent. Then at least you can say you're using your front grip properly.

Having 3 degrees of negative camber up front might complicate this approach slightly however it's worth a shot. Since you've already gotten alot of use out of the tires already, no harm in wearing them a little more, eh?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

FYI, my stock IX RS measures 68cm from ground to fender edge in the rear, 68.5 cms in front (26.77inR, 26.96 in F)

ghoonk's car is running 63 cm all around (24.80in).
Old 09-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

And for what it's worth, I'm running Zeal Function-X coilovers with spring rates of 10kg/mm front, 8 km/mm rear

After much offline debate with theshadow (he's my housemate, fyi), we've agreed that we don't know enough and the only way I'm going to know if this setup works better or not, based on my driving style (which is more loose than tight), is to take it to the track this Wednesday evening and see how the car handles, and what kind of timing I can get.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

There's nothing wrong with tuning a setup to suit a driver, but be careful not to cover up any bad habits with mods. I'm not sure what you mean by driving a car loose or tight, but if you have a habit of throwing a car around corners, jerking the wheel and generally not being smooth with your inputs, you could be giving up a lot of time around the track in wasted energy (cooked brakes and tires).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement