Motor Mount Install - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Motor Mount Install

Hope this is the right forum for this! I recently purchased a set of the AVID Racing motor mounts and am wondering if anyone knows how to change the driver side mount. When I went to install it I got all the parts out of the way (Battery, Battery Tray, etc.) and got to the mount, however once I had unbolted the mount completely it would no come out. I even lowered the jack that was supporting the Trans but no go!

How do I lower everything enough to get the mount out, and the new one in? Please help!

I have searched every parts website that deals with evo's and every forum I could think of but no one has done a write up of this yet.

Thanks,

Jason
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Did you remove all but the passanger side motor mount and then try to lower it down? I mean undo the front motor mount, remove the cross member, remove the axles, transfercase, rear motor mount, and driverside mount? This is how you do it to drop the trans (clutch job) and the only way I can think of to get it to drop.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

No I did not remove all of the things you listed. I was not aware that to get that motor mount installed it would be so much additional work. I thought that it would just be as simple as removing the old one and re-instaling the new one.

I guess I will wait until I have my clutch done to tackle this mount.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 02-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just to update, I found out that in order to change the driver side motor mount I will have to remove the four studs that are in the transmission. I can do this either with two nuts, or with a stud puller. Then use four new bolts to install the new mount.

See any problems with removing the stock studs?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

is it just a clearance issue requiring you to remove the studs?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes. You would have to drop the trans about 2.5 inches to get the mount out.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well I removed the four studs, which was much easier than I figured it would be. I just had to purchase a metric stud pulling kit ($25.00 @ Autozone).

So, I start installing the new motor mount and my first impression is that the mount is too small. Figured once I have the bolts in, it would tighten down a little, however that was not the case. (So far two mounts have fit perfectly) This mount was way, and I mean way too small.

So after several phone calls to Avid Racing (for some reason they would never call me back), they informed me that a few of the mounts had issues, that they would send a new mount out to me immediately.

So as it stands now, just waiting on the arrival of the mount, once here I will write a full review of the motor mount set.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Man, I applaud your ability to at least pretend that this motor mount ordeal has not completely pissed you off by now. I would have been typing in all caps at this point!
Look forward to the write up and more importantly I hope all your work nets you your desired result.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just an update:

Still have not received the motor mount. Now they are not answering their phone! Starting to get upset!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

I received the replacement motor mount, and a side by side comparison shows no difference between the new and the old. Have not attempted to install the new one yet, however I don't see how it will be any better than the one I originally received.

Here are the pictures of what the motor mount looked like before I received the replament. If the new one is not any better I purchased a few washers (Rubber & Metal) to help fill the voids.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

Sorry, aparently the files are too larger to upload. 500+MB
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2007, 05:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

ok, so I finally got the new Transmission Mount installed yesterday. I now have 3 of the 4 mounts replaced with AVID Racing mounts. The front lower, Passenger, and Trans.

With the stock trans mount in if you are say at 5k Rpms and you let of the gas to coast there is a (Wine, sort of a high pitch noise that comes from the trans). Now after replacing the trans mount that noise is much much louder, and almost sounds like grinding. It seems to me like something is wrong now, but maybe it's just my imagination. (FYI - the mounts are only a durameter rating of 75a)

Now I know that a stiffer mount will trasnmit more noise to the cabin of the car, but it seems wrong to me. Unfortunately I am hundreds of miles from a shop that will even touch my car, let alone one that knows about evo's.

Is this my imagination, or could there be something wrong? Would there be a problem if the mount does not make the trans line up exactly like the stock mount did? While excellerating it does not seem any different, Clutch engagement does not seem to suffer, and the noise is only while coasting to decellerate.

I know it is a similar noise to what happened with the stock mount, it just seems much worse now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement