R-Comp Front Only.. Wack Idea?? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

R-Comp Front Only.. Wack Idea??

This only applies for Autocrossing so all you track whores, don't flame me.. It's just an idea... as you know, autocross is mostly a short, tight, 2nd gear track with constant turning, braking and acceleration. What I want to improve is turn-in and rotation. I've already got the 25mm rear sway. So I'm thinking 9-inch front rims with R-comps. Leave the rear with Azenis. Braking will improve, and I should be able to change directions super fast. The last trick is the Works camber plates, set at -2deg. The underlying bonus here (read-- cheap ass/wife won't let me spend my money) of course is for 50% of the cost of a full set of race rims and rubber, I get 95% of the performance benifit. Am I taking cheap ass to a new low??
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaminarFlow
This only applies for Autocrossing so all you track whores, don't flame me.. It's just an idea... as you know, autocross is mostly a short, tight, 2nd gear track with constant turning, braking and acceleration. What I want to improve is turn-in and rotation. I've already got the 25mm rear sway. So I'm thinking 9-inch front rims with R-comps. Leave the rear with Azenis. Braking will improve, and I should be able to change directions super fast. The last trick is the Works camber plates, set at -2deg. The underlying bonus here (read-- cheap ass/wife won't let me spend my money) of course is for 50% of the cost of a full set of race rims and rubber, I get 95% of the performance benifit. Am I taking cheap ass to a new low??

Save your money by not getting camber plates. We can already get -2 camber on the stock eccentric bolts. I know, because I'm still on my stock suspension and have -2.0 in the front/-1.5 in the rear. Then, with that money saved get 4 r-comps, because you definitely don't want to be running around on mix-n-match tires. First of all, if they aren't the exact same size, you could cause damage to your diffs. If they did happen to be the exact same size (remember, the listed size is not necessarily the actual size), then not having sticky rubber on the rear would probably cause a lot of oversteer. There may be other nuances that I do not yet understand about weight transfer and grip, too.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Damn!! I didn't think about the potential difference in diameters. Guess I'll be saving for the full setup. Thanks for the advise!!

Old 07-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am guessing you have not yet driven on Hoosiers or Kumho V710's. The difference in grip is so dramatic, it would be like running the stock Advans on the front and the cheapest, hardest snow tires you could find on the rear.

There is a reason you don't see guys at the National level doing this. For any one single turn your idea *might* work, but when you throw multiple left-right maneuvers in there (like a slalom), you will most certainly spin out. Even if you don't spin, you will have to slow down enough to keep in control that you would have been faster on a whole set of sticky street tires.

Save your $$, take this year as a practice year on street tires, then next spring go nuts with the Hoosiers or Kumhos. That is what I did last year. Trust me, it will be well worth it!

EVOlutionary
Old 07-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

good points. Also, the different tires will heat up differently and have varying levels of grip when they're hot. I agree, it would be much more of a headache than it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement