Skid plate - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Skid plate

I want to share my experiences with my skid plate. I found out the factory underpanels are garbage really quick, so I bought a skid plate for my Evo. I put on a drive for my car club to Mount St. Helens last month. On this drive, I bottomed out my Evo a couple of times. (Found out winter was pretty hard on the roads this last winter.) The skid plates saved my car. If I would have had the stock under panel or no underpanel, my IC, DP, and tranny would be toast. With the skid plate, I just had to take it off and beat it out. It bent around the tranny, and bent the rear skid plate flange.
The skid plate I am running is a Beatrush underpanel from Kami speed. When I first put it on, I noticed a huge difference in high speed handeling. Even going down the freeway I noticed a difference. It is also adjustable, and a perfect fit to the 8 and 9 front end. I would recommend this product to anyone. The only problem I have with it, is I have to take it off to change the oil. Here is a picture of it.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yeah I'm considering an undertray panel, but I'm not sure if they'll fit with a large FMIC upgrade...

Old 07-18-2006, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am sorry, I forgot to add that. I Have the Perrin FMIC. The Perrin FMIC is one of the biggest you can get, and it fits great with this skid plate. I have a Perrin DP that fits also.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Perrin is one of the largest you can get? Are you sure? They make pretty generic stuff...not usually huge race-oriented FMICs and such. Did you have to remove the crash beam and do any cutting? I ask, because you have to do that with the larger BR FMICs. They don't even fit with the stock plastic undertray.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree that Perrin does make some generic parts. But there IC is very nice. I did have to take off my undertray and front reinforcement for the IC. I made a aluminum reinforcement, and got this skid plate. Kami Speed guaranteed me that this skid plate will fit my IC. I can put up there link if you would like. At the time, this was the only skid plate I could find that covered the whole front end. I don't know how this site is on putting links up to other sites.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, but is it really one of the largest FMICs? I don't see how it could fit with a metal undertray but not fit with the stock plastic undertray that can be bent and pushed.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am sorry, I can not answer that. I didn't buy it because of the size. Perrin is just right up the road from me. I try to support local companies. That is why I have all Perrin. But, I have learned the hard way not to buy Perrin again. But, Here is the link to Kami Speed. They are awsome people to deal with.
http://www.kamispeed.com/product_inf...91d7a29347563d
Old 07-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, I don't need to get the Beatrush from them, so that part's not important. I have a supplier for it, but I haven't gotten one since I will be going with a large FMIC for road racing and don't have confirmation if the two will fit together.

Supporting local companies is ok, but not that great of an idea when it comes to parts. I can't stand perrin, because they don't actually support the Evo community. They just make generic parts and sell them - so many Evo owners buy that stuff, but I have no idea why. I don't know where they're seeing the advertisements or fast Evos running all Perrin stuff (doesn't happen). Anyway, I digress. I do the same thing of trying to support local companies, but I only get my parts from proven companies like Buschur when feasible.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Well, I don't need to get the Beatrush from them, so that part's not important. I have a supplier for it, but I haven't gotten one since I will be going with a large FMIC for road racing and don't have confirmation if the two will fit together.

Supporting local companies is ok, but not that great of an idea when it comes to parts. I can't stand perrin, because they don't actually support the Evo community. They just make generic parts and sell them - so many Evo owners buy that stuff, but I have no idea why. I don't know where they're seeing the advertisements or fast Evos running all Perrin stuff (doesn't happen). Anyway, I digress. I do the same thing of trying to support local companies, but I only get my parts from proven companies like Buschur when feasible.
I learned the hard way.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymzz
I learned the hard way.

Who hasn't?
That undertray/skid plate is nice. Come to think of it my stocker has seen better days. How's the installation?

Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry

Who hasn't?
That undertray/skid plate is nice. Come to think of it my stocker has seen better days. How's the installation?
Besides the instructions being in Japanees. It is pretty easy. The first time I put it on, it took me about an hour. It was a little difficult going by the black and white pictures.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 338whp/371 lb-ft
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
i know of these headaches. its a real pain taking off all those damn plastic rivets just to tighten up your LICP.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 645whp/555 lb-ft
Send a message via AIM to JohnEB
Looks great man!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

the beatrush(?) attaches lower on the bumper than the stock undertray.

if you do install one be aware that your down pipe is lower than anything else under the motor.
it will rub unless you take care in installing a little spacer piece that does not show up on the instructions. the net effect is to warp the underpanel around the pipe.

it does require removing the back piece to drain the oil. it is easy though, even the guys at the speedy oil change can manage it.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

The DP hangs lower than a large FMIC?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement