Suspension setup - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Suspension setup

Im looking at the JIC coilovers I found them for a decent price They are The FLT/A2 coilovers with a spring rate of 8KG(front) 7KG(Rear). What do you guys think for about $1,725 delivered? I have afriend with jic's on his 240 and they work great. just want everyones input (better warr) before i purchase. Im jsut wondering if theres something better for a less price. Thanks

Last edited by Evil-Evolutio-8; 05-22-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

if you are gonna go with the JICs i would save up another 300 and get the custom valved ones from Muellerized. they will blow the OTS ones out of the water. muellerized knows there stuff.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yeah, no way would I just randomly purchase coilovers for $1700 without knowing what to do with them. First off, that spring rate is very very low, and secondly, you can get Muellerized JICs like Boostinpsi said. However, I think you could go with the PIC TSO's for $1550 and be as happy as a clam.

To be clear, none of the above will be very useful unless you're racing. If you just want to lower the car and improve daily driving handling, then I suggest something simple like the Megan coils for $800.

Remember, never buy a mod just because your buddy has it on his other non-Evo. That is definitely not a good way to go about buying mods.

PS. "Imput" is not a word. Sorry, pet peeve of mine...

Old 05-22-2007, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

WAIT!!!! stop everyone just stop.

warrtalon just agreed with me
Old 05-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would not buy JIC's for a wet weather climate unless you plan on doing some rust prevention work prior to installation. With that said, the OTS dampening is adequate although it could be a bit better. Depending on what you're using these for, the springs rates are probably okay for street use but too soft for autoX/track duty.

As for Muellerized vs. OTS, RRE is like two blocks away from JIC-USA......there's no doubt that John knows his stuff but where do you think the work is getting done?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

well i will be auto xing im going to one in july thats why im looking for some coilovers. I want a set that are the ultimate in steet and auto x. i dont care if they are stiff and ride rough. what brand and where do i get them from?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

The ultimate would be some $15k remote reservoir Motons. Not sure you really want the ultimate, heh. If you want a proven, fast setup, then you should check out http://robispec.com to see his packages or John Mueller's site (Muellerized), but I don't know his URL. They both are absolute experts in building Evo suspensions. You can go with one of their kits, or at least use their packages as guidance. However, remember that setup is a huge percentage of the value in a suspension upgrade. Just getting expensive coilovers won't make you fast - it depends on how they get setup.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

www.muellerized.com
or www.roadraceengineering.com
same thing they are interconnected.

i as planning on the JICs but i heard a bunch of complaints about rust and i live in a snowy area so thats out of teh question.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

i checked out both sites and I was definetly impressed. Well I already installed a rear sway bar and have the front still sitting around, install on the front looks like you have to lower the front subframe which i dont have the time to now. And unfortunatly i dont live anywhere near Cali. I would take the car to Robi spec if i could and have him setup what i buy. Well my question is what do I buy?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Front sway bar? Why do you even have one? You shouldn't be touching that - I'm not even sure how you ended up with an aftermarket front sway. Don't install it - just sell it. You also shouldn't have the rear sway on there. Tossing on random suspension mods is not a good way to build your car.

If you don't know what you're doing or how to find someone who knows what they're doing with suspension, then consider the PIC TSO's for $1550. They come out of the box how you need them. You just have to go get an alignment and corner balance.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

I would also recommend checking out the zzyzx setup, zzyzxmotorsports.com. They are koni double adjustables for the Evo and everything that I am hearing is that these are great, especially for autoX! Also note that Koni=easy to find rebuilders........
Old 05-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Evolutio-8 View Post
i checked out both sites and I was definetly impressed. Well I already installed a rear sway bar and have the front still sitting around, install on the front looks like you have to lower the front subframe which i dont have the time to now. And unfortunatly i dont live anywhere near Cali. I would take the car to Robi spec if i could and have him setup what i buy. Well my question is what do I buy?
Yes, front sway bar is a bit of a b*$^h to install.

In regards to your question, it really all depends on how aggressive you want to go. There's nothing wrong with sway bar upgrades so long as you know what effect they'll have on the driving characteristics of your vehicle. A lot of it also has to do with driver/tuner preference. Same thing applies with the springrates on coilovers. Anyone could give you a laundry list of parts and say "X" is good or bad. However, it's better if you make an informed decision.

Here's a couple of links on building a suspension. While the first one is about an SER, the meat of the link does apply universally. This should be a good start in helping you form a plan of action.

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/suspension_tuning.html

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...ing/index.html
Old 05-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

too bad those zzyzx's dont come with camber plates. otherwise looks like a sweet setup
Old 05-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Mueller and co couldn't even get JIC to to subtitute springs for a price. He had to get them himself because the springs that JIC delivers are not what he likes. Now this from several years ago, when I had his JIC s installed on my car. (In the Seattle area, kinda wet here but for some reason no rust).
From what I have gleamed the vishnu/chronohunter kit is the opposite route from the mueller. The mueller and robi have the same general heading. V/C like sever spring rates, M/R go for a slightly softer spring and a rear bar. As I noted before you pick your style, cause either method will win races.
I for one would never argue with any of the above, I'm way out of their league.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
Front sway bar? Why do you even have one? You shouldn't be touching that - I'm not even sure how you ended up with an aftermarket front sway. Don't install it - just sell it.
Hi, Warr. What makes you say that? I'm asking, because I'm interested in a front/rear bars. I'd never install just a rear bar, but a dual approach makes a lot of sense to me. IME, updating both, provided they're tuned for each other, leads to no drawbacks other than a slightly stiffer ride. Of course, that wasn't done on an Evo and I'm wondering what makes the Evo different in that respect. FWIW, I'm really not interested in upgrading my Bilstein setup, but I'd like less body lean. A balanced set of anti-sway bars seems like an ideal solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement