Suspension setup - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
We just have a need for upgrading the front bar. It's already stiff, and we already have a lot of understeer to deal with from the factory. There is not a requirement to do both the bars if you do one bar. Most people with Evos do just the rear bar, because it stiffens up the rear, which reduces traction in the rear and thus evens out some of the understeer by adding some oversteer. The end result is the car feels more neutral and tossable, although the car isn't really faster. It's best to do a combination of things that are built and designed to work together for ultimate performance. A rear bar CAN be helpful in certain applicatins like what Nothere mentioned. In my application, there is 0 need to touch any of the sway or tower bars.

You won't improve anything by doing both bars. If you do a rear bar, you'll get what I mentioned above and maybe a LITTLE less body roll, but without touching the springs, that won't change much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
FJF

I really appreciate your taking the time to reply. Thank you.

As I mentioned to you on EvoM, I don't really have any understeer issues that most likely stem from my driving style. Not that I'm unfamiliar with understeer; it's just that the Evo is such a good match for my (heh) abilities, which is why I bought it. FWIW, I did have to play with the tire pressures.

I'll give the dual bar solution more thought. Thanks again!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

I got a ton of understeer with the stock suspension. Perhaps it's possible to have incredible skill to never experience understeer, but it's usually from not pushing hard. I most often experience my understeer due to trying to barrel into every turn with the latest possible braking, then I try to get on the gas as soon as possible. Both of those lead to understeer - one while trying to make the entry turn, and the other is a push while trying to exit. Again, this could be due to lack of skill, but I think it's mainly from how hard I push and tend to overdrive at times.

Now that I have my full suspension, the car itself is neutral, but I cause it to push when I'm over-aggressive.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
I got a ton of understeer with the stock suspension. Perhaps it's possible to have incredible skill to never experience understeer, but it's usually from not pushing hard. I most often experience my understeer due to trying to barrel into every turn with the latest possible braking, then I try to get on the gas as soon as possible. Both of those lead to understeer - one while trying to make the entry turn, and the other is a push while trying to exit. Again, this could be due to lack of skill, but I think it's mainly from how hard I push and tend to overdrive at times.
I don't think it's necessarily a matter of skill, but of driving style. As I mentioned to you on EvoM, I do all of my braking in a straight like, then balance the car as I enter the turn-in point. IOW, I don't trailbrake, so there isn't a front-biased weight transfer as the car is turning. Essentially, I'm on the throttle throughout the corner. Given my somewhat limited abilities, I either come out with oversteer or in a 4-wheel drift, depending on how well things go. I'd love to say that my Evo understeers when I push it and not have to post a contradictory comment, but it doesn't. That's why I'd never install just a rear bar, as I see plenty of oversteer as it is. Perhaps things will change when I install different tires.

Thanks again for your comments.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

Unless there's something else on the car causing this, it makes no sense for your car to be oversteering. It's also impossible to be on throttle throughout every corner of any racing situation. I'm not sure we're talking about the same type of racing. I'm _extremely_ fast around road courses and pretty fast in autocrosses, but by no means can I be on throttle through the entirety of every corner. I brake in a straight line, too...everyone does...but I do also incorporate some trail-braking into some turns. It's necessary in order to be fast.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
FJF

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Warr. Have a great weekend!

Best,
Felix
Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 329whp/305 lb-ft
Club Region: Midwest
Quote:
Yeah, no way would I just randomly purchase coilovers for $1700 without knowing what to do with them. First off, that spring rate is very very low, and secondly, you can get Muellerized JICs like Boostinpsi said. However, I think you could go with the PIC TSO's for $1550 and be as happy as a clam.

To be clear, none of the above will be very useful unless you're racing. If you just want to lower the car and improve daily driving handling, then I suggest something simple like the Megan coils for $800.

Remember, never buy a mod just because your buddy has it on his other non-Evo. That is definitely not a good way to go about buying mods.

PS. "Imput" is not a word. Sorry, pet peeve of mine...
The cheapest I can find Megan's are $1000.?.?.?

Dennis
Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #23 (permalink)

Try http://ttp-engineering.com. If you don't get them there for $800 or less, let me know. I know a few other places, but I don't know the URL off the top of my head. I'll go find them if TTP doesn't work out for you.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
The cheapest I can find Megan's are $1000.?.?.?
You may want to call and/or email Street Tuned Motorsports - 585-507-8122, [email protected]. It's best to call, though. They're a full-service Evo shop/store with an emphasis on quality service and product. Impressively so, I might add.

It's best to call in the afternoon when they have more time to chat. Tell them Felix referred you. I know they'll take care of you. Warr can probably attest to the fact that I hardly trust anyone when it comes to my Evo, putting it mildly, but I do trust them and their pricing is very competitive. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:10 AM   #25 (permalink)

Yeah, I can attest to that, but that shop certainly isn't known in the Evo community, so I'm surprised you give them such high praise. I hope you're right!

Old 06-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Yeah, I can attest to that, but that shop certainly isn't known in the Evo community, so I'm surprised you give them such high praise. I hope you're right!
It's a local shop that just opened a retail side of the business a short time ago. I've had a several projects done there, watching the head tech/owner like a hawk, and couldn't be more satisfied. The work was meticulously performed - at a very reasonable price, too - and I've had zero issues since. My car was treated with respect, my requests were followed to a T, and everything was done perfectly. They do some of the cleanest and most conscientious work I've seen in my ~28 years dealing with cars.

The owner has one of the quickest Evos around. If the other chap calls, I'm sure the head tech/owner would be happy to name every major event he's won. Honestly, I wouldn't take my car anywhere else, short of Buschur and AMS.

Edit: spelling

Last edited by FJF; 06-05-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 AM   #27 (permalink)

In this case, the question is whether or not they carry Megan products and sell the coilovers for $800 or less, yah?

Old 06-05-2007, 06:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
In this case, the question is whether or not they carry Megan products and sell the coilovers for $800 or less, yah?
They started selling Megan a couple of weeks ago. As for the price, one would have to ask. I have no doubt they'd be competitive.

Edit: typo
Old 06-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
FJF

Madman, I just spoke with the shop I referred you to, as I needed to make an appointment. If you decide to call, ask for Emery (the owner). He's aware of your situation and your sensitivity to price. Coincidentally, he's in the process of putting together a Megan order right now.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #30 (permalink)

Thanks for the great words Felix!

-Emery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement