There is a clicking in my L/F - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

There is a clicking in my L/F

Every time i drive my car, when im on a slightly bumpy road or any worse, if i put more weight on the left side of the car, i hear a clicking noise. Ive taken it to Mitsubishi to have checked out, ive gotten under the car my self to check it out, and a couple of my buddies who i trust with suspension have looked at it....but no one can find anything. It seems to be getting slightly worse as time goes on. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem, or has a clue as to what it might be.. I was thinking perhaps it was something in the steering linkage seeing as it mainly happens when i turn the car to the left. Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Did all of those people rule out the CV joint? That's usually what is wrong when you get a clicking while turning to one side.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thats the thing, im not totally sure they looked at that. I would assume that Mitsubishi would when they checked it out. But the CV joint makes sense to me.

Everyone that checked it gave me a different answer. One person told me it was the shocks. Another told me it was the springs i had installed (TEIN S techs ...which by the way are garbage...and I wouldnt suggest them to anyone) so i put the Stockers back on and still hear the noise. I am sure that by installing the Lower springs, it put added stress on the suspension and roll center, and that could probably have something to do with it, But I just want to make sure, and fix what needs to be fixed...not a bunch of things that dont.

Have evos generally had problems like this? I will take it to get the CV checked out as soon as possible.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
It's possible that the shocks have been damaged by the poor springs. That's pretty normal for people who add springs to the stock shocks just to lower the car, but I don't know if this is one of the symptoms of blown shocks, since I haven't experienced it.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

The shocks seem to be fine...the car doesnt bounce too much..and handling has much improved since i added the stock springs back. (the s techs are much weaker springs than the stockers). I had the shocks checked out when installing the factory springs back on...and they were seemed fine. No leaking, or sticking. I guess ill look into the CV joint and also check the linkage. Ill post what i find incase it helps someone else.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am going to post up my experience with the exact same type of noise.

First I was terribly worried that something was majorly wrong, so I took it to mitsu, who could not find anything wrong with the car. They heard the clicking, but could not conclude where it came from.

Now, They rotated my (stock wheels at the time, very worn up front, not so much in back), after the rotation of the tires, so that the good ones were now up front the noise completely stopped.

I informed Mitsu that the noise had disappeared and they tech guy then concluded that due to the amount of wear on the front tires, it had thrown the front alignment off enough to make the LSD make noise.

Not sure if this is the same problem that you are having, but try getting an alignment, rotating your tires, or if necessary purchase new correctly sized tires.

Hopefully this will fix the issue you are having for little or no money.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

hmm sounds good. i just bought new wheels and tires, and its getting aligned today i believe. They arent stock size, they are 235 40 18s, but they are brand new, and the alignment should be set. Ill let you know if the sound goes away. My old tires were dreadfully worn in the front..and i was mos def probably in need for an alignment. Ill post what happens. In any event.... if the clicking is the lsd...will that cause damage? (i assume that it would)
Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

I was told that it would not cause damage, however that info did come from mitsu, so who knows.

They said it was due to the tires being worn, throwing the alignment off, which in turn caused the angles? to be off.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

interesting. Thanks for that tidbit. Ill see what happens when i get my car back and let you know
Old 03-09-2007, 05:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
I have a whole TC for sale if you end up needing one. Good luck with fixing your car.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

haha. thanks. i hope thats not the case.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just want to check in, did the alignment and new tires fix your problem? If so great! More money to spend on performance parts!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

As of now, there is still the clicking. The alignment is still off, the guy the body shop took it to doesnt know what there doing (IMO). Im taking it to WestEnd Alignment here in So Cal, Darrin specializes in Evos and Subarus. He will be able to fix my alignment, find anything thats wrong...so when he does it ill let you know, and if its not it... then im sure he will find out what it is.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

So you're alignment i off? I have the clicking noise as well on left turns, bumps, and usually when it's cold outside. You get to looking at the CV joints? I'm probably going to have a local shop check mine out when i get my parts installed. Let me know, i'm still wondering wth is making that clicking noise as well.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Im pretty sure When everyone looked at it they would have looked at that. Im gonna have this place check it out monday along with steering linkage and bushings and the wheel bearings. I hope i figure it out. And it sounds like your having the same problem that i am. Whatever you figure out let me know, and ill do the same..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement