Tire recommendations to replace stockers? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Tire recommendations to replace stockers?

It's not time yet, but I like to look ahead and get the best deal. It's a daily driver. No track time, no 1/4 mile dragger. I drive to work, stores, my Mom's, and take my wife out to dinner. I drive canyons from time to time, but not at break neck speed, and no I've never thought about drifting a corner. I had Kumho Ecsta 712's on my Eclipse and I liked those. Oh yea, did I mention I'm cheap.
What are other daily suckers... I mean hard working Evo owners using?

Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

good question, being that I am also cheap and the EVO is my daily driver.
but in michigan we don't have any canyons to drive, just potholes that can
eat little imports.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
A cheap way to go is find used stockers with only a couple thousand miles on them. People always seem to be selling the stock tires with low milage for cheap.

Keith

Old 04-20-2005, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

I run Dunlop SP Sport FM901. Great dry traction and awesome wet traction. I have 17000mi on mine. I auto-x, drag race, street race and canyon carve with them. Great tires and they are like $100 or $400 for the set
Old 04-25-2005, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

got a set of bf goodridge KDW 2's excellent tires wet and dry!!!! got em in a 245-40-17 get all kinda compliments on em too

Old 04-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
How much for the bf goodridge KDW 2's?

Old 04-26-2005, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

tires

check em out.. worth ever dime
Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

We just put Advan Neovas on our shop RS and these tires are great. Our best 60 foot time at the track was 1.8 and with these tires in one run went down to a 1.6. We have only had these tires on the car for about 3 weeks now seeing as how the other tires from the car and driver event didnt quite hold up as you can see.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65...3/DSC_3343.jpg
Old 07-20-2005, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickatBuschurs
We just put Advan Neovas on our shop RS and these tires are great. Our best 60 foot time at the track was 1.8 and with these tires in one run went down to a 1.6. We have only had these tires on the car for about 3 weeks now seeing as how the other tires from the car and driver event didnt quite hold up as you can see.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65...3/DSC_3343.jpg

Those poor tires.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

those look like like up marks or heat blistering. notice how there is decent tread left on the rest of the tire.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldstang50
those look like like up marks or heat blistering. notice how there is decent tread left on the rest of the tire.

Those tires were flate spotted from locking up (non ABS car) when stoping from 150 mph in the Car and Driver challenge.

Keith
Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

I recently got the Kumho MX's in 255/40. So far so good. No rubbing, even with it lowered on Hotchkis springs. They don't seem as sticky as the Advans, but for the $, they're still realy good.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
I have the Dunlop Sp sport Fm901 on my Evo and I had them on my GST eclipse. I love these tires and I get them for $95 a piece. The handle awesome during dry weather and really well on my GST in the rain which had horrible traction problems because of FWD. Then those Bfgoodrich KDW's are awesome tires too! I have driven a low power car with them and it handles so nice. They do cost about $40 more at my dealer cost. So if your like me then the Dunlops are the way to go!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Thanks Almighty Wez and SicLanEvo.
I'm keeping my eyes and ears open on those Kumho and Dunlop tires.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

I worked at a tire store for a while and have had many sets of tires on my evo..(3). Having had to adjust out a bunch of sets of the BFG kdw 2's..i wouldnt recomend them personally..but everyones experience is different. The Dunlop FM901's are stickier than hell in the dry...ok in the wet...but noisy and uncomforable..and chop really quickly(..wear uneven). They are good tires and are cheap so thats definatly a plus. I had alot of luck and good feedback from customers with the the Hankook Ventus K104's and also the Kumho Ecsta SPT's (kumhos new tire)...also, i would look into the Falken Azenis RT-615's or the Yoko Advan Neova AD07's. Those are the two im lookin at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement