Tire/rim clearance - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tire/rim clearance

Let me just start by saying that I took the time and looked and couldn't find the answer to my question before posting this, so if it was already answered then I apologize. I have a 2003 Evo 8 and I was thinking about swapping out the stock wheels with some 18x8.5 rims with 255/40R18 tires and I was wondering if anyone knows if I'll have any clearance issues. I looked up the O.D. on the 235/45R17 and on the 255/40R18 and if I remember correctly it's about 1"-1.5" bigger. If anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it and thanks for your time.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 05:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
i'm pretty sure you will have clearnence issues. on the stock size wheel the biggest you can run is a 255/40r17. if you step up a inch in wheel diameter and keep a 40 size sidewall, it makes for a taller tire. taller and wider will not work IMO maybe step down to a 255/35 or 255/30. good luck and try to talk to other people who have a similar setup.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Supporting Vendor

Club Region: Southwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8owner89 View Post
Let me just start by saying that I took the time and looked and couldn't find the answer to my question before posting this, so if it was already answered then I apologize. I have a 2003 Evo 8 and I was thinking about swapping out the stock wheels with some 18x8.5 rims with 255/40R18 tires and I was wondering if anyone knows if I'll have any clearance issues. I looked up the O.D. on the 235/45R17 and on the 255/40R18 and if I remember correctly it's about 1"-1.5" bigger. If anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it and thanks for your time.
This fitment is a little aggressive and you may run into slight rubbing. When compared to the factory 235/45-17's, the 255/40-18 is about .75" taller in overall diameter. What is the offset on the new wheels you were considering? Our guide indicates that on an 8.5" wide wheel, the offset range should be anywhere from +33mm to +49mm.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

So with a rim offset between +30 - +49 a 255/40R18 will work? Am I going to have any fender clearance issues? I'm also planning on lowering the car some time in the future so will that pose a problem? I can get the rim with an offset anywhere from +20 - +45.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Our guide indicates that you can run up to a 255 width on an 8.5" wide wheel that has an offset between +33mm to +49mm. The 255/40-18 will be agressive since it is taller than the stock size, by about .75". I know a 245/40-18 fits but the 255/40-18 is to close to tell on my end. A test fit should really be done. Since you will be lowering the vehicle, you may want to consider running a 255/35-18. This size will be closer to the OE rolling diameter.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

One other thing to consider...Tires are like shoes. Some run larger while others run smaller in the same size. BFG and Goodyear for example tend to run a little larger in size when compared to say Falken or Nitto. I would keep this in mind if you decide to run 255/40-18's.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I looked on a tire fitment program at work and it says that a 255/40 is only .67 inches bigger in overall diameter so that doesn't seem like it'll be a problem. As far as the width with the right offset it should work. I'm going to take the car to the place im planning on getting tires from for a test fitment so I should find out for sure then. Thanks for all the info, it's really appreciated.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
^^ just like posted earlier some tires actually run bigger then others. i would want as close to the OEM size just to keep my speedo in check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement