Tire wear on front (inside) - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tire wear on front (inside)

Ok, so lately my car has been driving shitty. It has 8k miles on it. It drives in a straight line but the steering wheel shakes like a bastard sometimes. I havent had time to look at it because of work, but I found time today and put it on a lift because i needed to change the oil also. I didnt find anything out of the ordinary besides my front tires are wearing tremendously on the insides. What the hell is that? About 1" of tread on the insides look to have about 5k more miles than the rest of the tire. This must have happened within the last 1k miles because I had just taken the front tire off to plug it because i had a nail. I read another forum and people say evo's are known to do this???? why? thanks guys, nick
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yeah, this happens frequently enough with Evos due to the alignment being out of whack from the factory. People usually don't notice until the insides of the tires are eaten away.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Alignment for sure and the shaking is a result of the tires being out of balance. The tires do need to be rotated frequently and a good alignment does help pro-long there life but the reality is that 8000 miles, they're about half dead. Welcome to the world of A-046's!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Tri State
Send a message via AIM to EVOBR350
Yepp Im on my 2nd set of yoko's. Same thing happened to me at 10k and had to replace them. Got lucky and got all new A046s for $150 a tire. If you buy them again, your looking to pay about $282 a tire. Rotate every oil change and get a new alinment and u may get 14-19k out of them.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

damn i wish i knew this before...im def gonna get an alignment and rotation. Thanks guys, im just glad its normal.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

ok...I got an alignment today and rotated my tires. Problem solved. Ride is smooth and doesnt pull either way. But im still beat for tires. Im gonna have to get some new ones soon. The dealer wont replace them???? I find it odd that you have to realign and rotate the tires every oil change. That just doesnt make sense to me.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

You don't have to realign or rotate the tires every oil change. It's just recommended that you rotate them frequently. The alignment shouldn't have to be done often at all - it's just that they come from the factory with a bad alignment sometimes, and people don't notice until their tires rae killed.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

ok that sounds better.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Southeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOBR350 View Post
Yepp Im on my 2nd set of yoko's. Same thing happened to me at 10k and had to replace them. Got lucky and got all new A046s for $150 a tire. If you buy them again, your looking to pay about $282 a tire. Rotate every oil change and get a new alinment and u may get 14-19k out of them.
I've got almost 16k right now and have only rotated the tires twice. No abnormal wear, but I did make sure the alignment was proper. -2 in front and -1.5 in the rear for camber; 0 toe. I'm right where Lincoln's head is visible in my tread.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Wear on the inside is too much negative camber and too much toe-out. For the post on top of me, if I would be you then I wouldn't be so proud of my alignment numbers since they are not that great. Your tires will wear on the inside.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

-2.0f/-1.5 is fine for stock suspension, and 0 toe is proper. No need for so much rear camber, but the front is good - that's as much as we can get on the stock eccentric bolts.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah, my alligeement was all screwed up kept on goin threw tiers and what not, ever since i did it it has been amazing, its time for abother one, been about 15K since last alligment I guess, or close to it.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

For DD you want more positie camber not more negative and you also want more toe in and not toe out. When you have 2 degrees negative camber where does the tire touch the road the most? On the inside. When you have zero toe with -2 camber where does your tires touch the road? Still on the inside. So if you toe it out more your tire will STILL touch on the inside the most. Get it. So for a good tire wear you want some negative camber with some toe in. Negative camber wear the tire on the inside and toe in wears the tire on the out side. IF you have a lot of negative camber you want to toe it in a little more then usual for the bese tire wear not toe it out. Thats just stupid for daily driver, unless you guys have some extra cash to buy tires often. When you leave it at zero toe, and then you sit in it, on some cars the toe changes. It gets toen out. I have never align an Evo but on some cars it changes and on others it dont but still zero toe for a DD is not good enough.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

And for the record the pring out is not alweys what your car has. Sometimes you just make sure its all in the "GREEN" just for the customer to look and be happy but in reality the alignment is different and in most cases for the better. Like ford taurus wanst to have 0.20 toe out to be in the green. And for taurus has a lot of negative camber and if you leave it like that the guy is going to come back and be like my tires are wearing more then before i did the alighnment. So, sometimes you got to do what you got to do.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Yesterday I did an oil change and tire rotation with balance at work and I notice that my front tires were getting rough on the inside, not wearing yet but about to. So I did an alignment and my from total toe was at zero with .9 negative camber on the left and .7 negative camber on the right. If I would to keep driving my car like that then my tires would get distroyed. I toed it in to about .15 total toe, that should solve the problem. I did not wanted to change the camber since the car is still new. I also have a print out is anyone wants to look at it and it is accurate because I did it. The rear was off to but not bad at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement