vibration @ 70-80mph - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

vibration @ 70-80mph

ok, so i've picked up a pretty heavy vibration between 70 & 80 mph and i feel it all in my steering wheel. i've had 2 alignments and 2 wheel balances, my wheels are perfect as they have never been curbed. at speeds above 80mph it seems to go away, but when you're going that fast its hard to tell with the CO roads. the car is on Tein H-Tech springs and 18" wheels. anybody have any guesses?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Like you said this is only a guess;
Blown shock?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Man there are so many things. rotors, shocks, rack. You may want to have someone test drive it and help you out on this one.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 01-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

scott, i was thinking the same thing but i don't know who would be able to do this for me without charging me an arm and a leg.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Who lives close to you?

Old 01-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

no one that i know of...
Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Tri State
Just the steering wheel vibrates or the whole dash and other things? Sometimes it is not the balance. Does it vibrate on accelaration during those speeds or does it do it when driving steady? Sometimes tires get outer-round and you get a vibration, sometimes the balance of the tires, once for me it was an axle coming apart, mounth fall apart. And for the record you dont get a vibration from alignment. Bad alignment f-up your tire resulting in some noise/vibration but alignment by it self dont make anything vibrate. Tells us when it vibrates during what kind of driving and does it do it on slower speeds? At first I would check the tire to see if it is outer-round if it is ok rotate and balance. Then test drive it.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

it only does it at steady speeds between 70-80mph, goes away if its lower or higher speeds. tires are fine and virtually brand new, just had them rotated and balanced twice. the steering wheel shakes and has slight play back and forth. i can let go of the wheel and the car will drive straight.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 329whp/305 lb-ft
Club Region: Midwest
May be a long shot for you cause your car is not that old, but my 97' Eclipse did the same thing. I noticed it more driving up or down a hill on the highway. Turned out to be my motor mounts.

Dennis
Old 01-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

so driving to CO Springs today i really tried to pay attention to when it did and didn't do it. speeds between 70-80 and the wheel shakes, 85+ and its only the road bumps you feel. now heres the strange part... while taking corners, the shaking is gone. now what do you guys think?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
How bad is the steering wheel vibration? I'd imagine if you're on a crappy road at 70 mph you're gonna get some vibration in the steering wheel, but to what extent?

I also get a vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above 65 mph when I'm on crappy roads. I just noticed this after I got new tires on her, and will probably take my car back to make sure the tires are balanced correctly and I'll ask for some new hub - centric adapters. Last time Discount tire forgot to balance one of my tires. What a f-ing joke. On smoother roads I hardly notice the vibration.

Here's some things to check out:

- Tire Pressure
- Wheel Balance
- Flat Spot on Tire
- Bent Rims
- After Market rims may require a hub centric ring? Centerbore adapters. Get metal ones, the plastics tend to break.

- CV Joints
- Control Arm bushings
- Engine Mounts
- Drive Shaft to Transfer Case
- Wheel Bearings
- Tie Rod Ends

If your car is lowered, pressure may be on your sway bar. You can remove one of the links and see if this pressure is causing stress on the struts. You may also want to release any pressure on the stut bar.

That's it for now. Good Luck Bro, keep us updated.

PS I think a lot of Evo owners experience this same issue, its probably pretty common.

Last edited by sdfontanini; 01-31-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

I know Lucas can help you out for a small fee on this one call him and set up a time for him to test drive it.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Just realized my vibration was due to the snow buildup under my tires this morning. Snow has melted and the vibration is gone. Wheeew, thought I was in for one hell of a diagnosis. PEACE

Old 01-31-2008, 06:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Tri State
Ok so between speeds 70 and 80 there us vibration and slower or faster there is no vibration. It also goes awey when taking a turn. Does the steering wheel changes position when you hit a pot hole or does it feel loose? Does the car make any noises? When did this started happening? Maybe you hit something or maybe you change something? And where do you feel vibration? In the steering wheel only or the whole car shakes? This is a different one I would have to think about this.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

The wheels bearings on these cars are known to go bad especially up front.

Jared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement