Whiteline Steering Precision Kit & understeer - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Whiteline Steering Precision Kit & understeer

Someone I know is claiming that the Whiteline Steering Precision Kit actually reduces understeer : http://www.mstorque.com/71075612/ind...geID=117142540

"The steering precision kit really does do what is name suggests and you donít notice the original steering setup was a bit vague until you try this kit which includes low compliance replacement mounting bushes and special spacers to adjust the steering geometry on the steering rack. The turn in feel has improved dramatically and reduced understeer too."

Does anyone here have any idea how a steering precision kit improves turn-in and reduces understeer? I know that the roll centre adjustment kit has that effect, but I'm questioning how a steering precision kit achieves that since there is no change to the alignment or suspension behaviour
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Turn in feel I can see as you are removing soft bushings and replacing them with harder ones. The understeer however seems questionable as that is usually overcome by more power to the rear wheels or proper suspension set up.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

I got better turn-in from switching to whiteline front trailing arm bushings and from installation of the Cusco Lower Arm v1 brace. I can't imagine how steering bushings help with turn in.

I'm contemplating getting the rear trailing arm bushings, and control arm bushings (front and rear), along with a Ralliart front and rear tower strut brace set. I have seen the TEIN and Cusco ones and I am not convinced by the moveable joints -- the ralliart ones are fixed and welded really nicely and go for around USD215 per piece. TEIN ones could cost me around USD190 per piece.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Ghoonk, definitely do the rear trailing arm and control arm bushings. If you haven't already done the front/rear sway bar bushings, then do those, too.

As for strut braces, we already have one up front, so paying to put on another one in place of the stocker will be a very minimal performance per dollar investment. In the rear, we don't have a strut system, so the rear "strut" brace is completely useless. It's only for cosmetics.

I also question claims of improved turn-in and reduced understeer from some steering bushings. I don't see how people can feel these noticeable differences when I couldn't even feel the difference with my full suspension. The 6 second gain on track as well as 3 seconds gain against the field in autocross lends itself to the fact that my handling improved dramatically, but I can't really "feel" it per se. It's like people who put on a mod and gain 3-5whp, and they post about how awesome the gains are. If it's less than 30whp, I can't tell...

Old 08-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi Warr

The Whiteline sway bars came with replacement bushings, are you referring to those? If so, they were replaced, and the old ones are now sitting in my living room, hanging off the stock sway bars.

For the fronts, I have the Whiteline front trailing arm bushings, and am planning to get the bushings for the front control arms (W0590). I also have the roll centre adjustment kit, which has made a huge difference in keeping the car much flatter through the corners, and seems to have reduced some of the initial understeer I experienced after installing the Zeal Function X coilovers (10kg F / 8kg R)

For the rear, I have the Whiteline rear bumpsteer correction kit and the Whiteline rear differential to chassis bushing kits installed, and plan to get the rear control arm bushing kit (W0591)

Most likely, I will have the following bits installed as well

1. stock drop-links (KLC002 and KLC39)
2. inner control arm bushing kit (W0588)
3. lower shock control arm bushing kit (W0589)

I can't seem to find a Whiteline part number for the rear trailing arm bushing kit, else I would get them as well (these are the times I wish I could get some form of sponsorship from Whiteline...)

I'll probably stay off the rear strut brace then, and use the money on the bushings and more R-compound donuts -- they are probably the best bang for the buck (or lowest cost per second) mod for the track and autocross.

And Warr, thanks again for the advice
Old 08-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not as sceptical about the Whilteline Steering Precision kit as all you guys are. Although I highly doubt that it will singlehandedly eliminate or reduce understeer I am willing to bet a few dollars that it will tighten the steering up a bit...something you can't have too much of in my book.

Will put my money where my mouth is and report back here shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement