winter tires - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Handling Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Handling Tech Suspension mods, brake systems, wheels, tires, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 06:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

winter tires

currently i have a set of fuzion zri tires, although i am not really proud to say it
i bought them because they were the only tire anyone had for my car and i needed tires
well, i need new tires, it has already snowed i made it through last winter with these tires

i am looking at the falken ziex ze 912, from what i have read they seem to be good
the snow usually isn't too bad here, and i would imagine that going from usuing the zris in the snow to those would be amazing

just looking for input, i do not want to spend a ton, and really cannot afford winter tires and summer tires
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Tri State
I just had the 912's put on the evo a few weeks back to replace the advans since it's getting cold, and so far so good. Just an fyi, the 912's replaced the 512's, which I was initially looking for due to the tire recommendations I was given by other members. The 912's obviously aren't going to grip like my advans did, so the car doesn't feel nearly as squirrelly as it did (which I kind of miss, lol), however it still does maintain a decent grip around turns. Compared to my advans in colder weather, the 912's do hold their grip better around corners. Sidewalls you can tell aren't as hard, so this took me some time getting used to after driving with the advans on for a few months. I've been able to drive in mildly slick roads, which seemed ok, however I cannot say I've had the pleasure to test these out in the snow yet, so I will not comment on their snow / rain performance. From the weather I've been provided up to this point, the tires seem that they will be a good tire for the winter season. I'm not sure how these tires will compare to your existing setup, but hopefully what I said here will give you some insight on these tires and answer some questions. I'll let you know how they perform in the snow when I find out first hand, heh.

*btw, you might want to search around the forums or google for reviews. There might be some more information that may be additionally helpful towards making your decision.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have the Falkens and that year it snow so bad. I was the only one moving at a ok speed those tires rock in my mind. I actually got them installed during the snow storm we had last year and I drove about 70 miles in a storm, I know stupid but I had to get home. And they gripped very well. a big for those.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Rocky Mountain
my car is a death trap in the snow.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshsevo View Post
my car is a death trap in the snow.
Yours is a death trap on the road period....lol

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by BAMBAM; 12-05-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have used snow tires for sale, what size tires do you need? They're Blizzaks..
Old 12-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

235/45r17

i cannot get the falkens anywhere right now, they are apparently on "nationwide back order"

i think i am going to get the kumho ecsta asx's which i can get
Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a set of asx, great bang for the buck. I have snowplowed up a hill with over a ft of snow on the ground with abosolutely no trouble. Great tires, great price. do it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseacrett View Post
235/45r17

i cannot get the falkens anywhere right now, they are apparently on "nationwide back order"

Old 12-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseacrett View Post
235/45r17

I just bought 4 Blizzaks in 235/45/17 from tire rack, they had some on sale for $130 each (my local shop wanted $200 a piece!).
Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 369whp/395 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
I have the asx kumhos and they did good last winter here in Denver. I think you'll be happy with those for the winter time... and maybe even if you end up keeping them on over the summer.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

sounds good, the guy was saying that the kumhos would not be much better than my fuzion zri's i can only imagine that he must have thought i said HRi and not ZRi either that or he does not know what a fuzion zri tire is...and if the kumho's are not any better than I definatly do not want them...

i also have the option of the htr+ which i have heard good things about, but it seems like from what i have seen the kumho is better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement