Confused results of clutch&fly Install - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right
 

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Drivetrain Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Drivetrain Tech Transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Images: 7
Reputation: yangs4ever4g63 is an unknown
Confused results of clutch&fly Install

I just got done installing my clutch and flywheel for my evo and I don't understand what else I need to do to make it run. Me and my brother assume its a weak battery but the battery is reading ok(blue on the battery meter) and my brother also tested it at 11volts. When I try to start it at first, it was trying to start but it wouldn't. Everytime I tried it, it the starting up the car got weaker and weaker and suddenly the power on the dash wouldn't glow anymore. Also, the clutch feel is dead; there is no resistance whatsoever. It goes up and down like it doesn't work. We don't think we've forgotten anything so far and everythings filled up and bolted down. If you have any advice, feel free to lend me some. Its been a long half and a year and I'd like to drive my car FINALLY! Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member
 
Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Registered: Apr 2007
Posts: 41
Reputation: colo_evo is an unknown
try jumping it...make sure its out of gear! just in case you clutch isn't working properly.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Images: 7
Reputation: yangs4ever4g63 is an unknown
hmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_evo View Post
try jumping it...make sure its out of gear! just in case you clutch isn't working properly.
I could try and jump it since it hasn't been runnin in half a year.. But what about the dead clutch pedal feel? Is the car supposed to start first and then it'll kick in? thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 01-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member
 
turbolarry's Avatar
 
Club Region: SoCal
Registered: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,577
Images: 10
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The clutch pedal might need adjusting. The clutch line might need bleeding.
11 volts is pretty low. 12 volts plus is the norm.



Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Images: 7
Reputation: yangs4ever4g63 is an unknown
still problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry View Post
The clutch pedal might need adjusting. The clutch line might need bleeding.
11 volts is pretty low. 12 volts plus is the norm.
Today I put some gas in since it has been on "E" and I also tried jumping the car. The gauges one the dash now light up more and are powered up. But the car still won't start and it seems like something isn't engaging. I'm assuming it needs the clutch to start the car. But the clutch pedal is loose as ever! Before I start the car, I Push the clutch pedal down manually and then try and start it. The engine shakes as it tries to startup but it won't. My brother said the clutch line was bleeding fine... I don't know what else to think unless its the clutch? wedge collar? throw out bearing? I need help!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 984
Images: 4
Reputation: BAMBAM is an unknown
You are doing these steps right when adjustin the Clutch?

1.
Slide the driver seat all the way back and look at the back of the clutch pedal (flash or drop light helps!).
Adjusting the clutch pedal is very easy. Simply loosen the lock nut from the bracket connecting the push rod to the back of the clutch pedal. With the lock nut loose, the rod can be turned to move the clutch pedal higher or lower. This will in turn increase or decrease the rod travel (and hydraulic movement) and dictate "where" in the pedal the clutch engages.

For the most part, the rod can simply be turned by hand. Wiggling the clutch pedal while turning the rod can make it easier, but there is a flattened location on the rod to use an 8mm wrench if turning it by hand is not possible.

To move the rod higher and increase travel (move engagement up), turn the rod clockwise. To reduce the travel (move engagement down), turn the rod counter-clockwise.

TECH TIP: If an aftermarket clutch is installed and there is trouble getting into gears or it won't go into gear at all, the clutch is likely not being fully disengaged when the pedal is in. To overcome this, adjust the pedal higher.



2. Once the pedal is close, a few test drives and shifts will allow it to be dialed in for your clutch and feel. Do not forget to tighten the lock nut on the rod down before driving!
TECH TIP: try to adjust the pedal and do test drives/shifts with the tranny and clutch warm. If the adjustment is too "close", it may be fine when cold and get notchy or not fully disengage once everything warms up and the clutch expands with heat.

http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...d43d5ea96d6b1c

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Images: 7
Reputation: yangs4ever4g63 is an unknown
solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
You are doing these steps right when adjustin the Clutch?

1.
Slide the driver seat all the way back and look at the back of the clutch pedal (flash or drop light helps!).
Adjusting the clutch pedal is very easy. Simply loosen the lock nut from the bracket connecting the push rod to the back of the clutch pedal. With the lock nut loose, the rod can be turned to move the clutch pedal higher or lower. This will in turn increase or decrease the rod travel (and hydraulic movement) and dictate "where" in the pedal the clutch engages.

For the most part, the rod can simply be turned by hand. Wiggling the clutch pedal while turning the rod can make it easier, but there is a flattened location on the rod to use an 8mm wrench if turning it by hand is not possible.

To move the rod higher and increase travel (move engagement up), turn the rod clockwise. To reduce the travel (move engagement down), turn the rod counter-clockwise.

TECH TIP: If an aftermarket clutch is installed and there is trouble getting into gears or it won't go into gear at all, the clutch is likely not being fully disengaged when the pedal is in. To overcome this, adjust the pedal higher.



2. Once the pedal is close, a few test drives and shifts will allow it to be dialed in for your clutch and feel. Do not forget to tighten the lock nut on the rod down before driving!
TECH TIP: try to adjust the pedal and do test drives/shifts with the tranny and clutch warm. If the adjustment is too "close", it may be fine when cold and get notchy or not fully disengage once everything warms up and the clutch expands with heat.

http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...d43d5ea96d6b1c
Should this fix my clutch from being too loose? I think theres air in the clutch line, thats why the clutch pedal doesnt have any pressure at all. Or is this step very necessary after a aftermarket clutch install. Thanks

P.S. I will try and Bleed the clutch tonight and my battery is currently charging.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 984
Images: 4
Reputation: BAMBAM is an unknown
Try and see. Let us know if it works.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Images: 7
Reputation: yangs4ever4g63 is an unknown
Too cold to work on it tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Try and see. Let us know if it works.
I went outside into my garage and visually wanted to see where the clutch adjusting would be at. Its all the way up under the steering column on the firewall. The picture on the evomoto site looks kinda of different from what I am seeing. I didn't see any instructions on removing brackets or and other parts. It should be right next on the left next to the switch that the clutch presses to start the car. I'll tend to it when its daylight and warmer. Too cold down southh..low 20ss i tell ya. Thanks for y'alls input. Appreciate it.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member
 
Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Tri State
Registered: Dec 2007
Posts: 62
Images: 4
Reputation: Brembo is an unknown
Hold on here. What did you do to the car and why? When you did the clutch install did you disconect any clutch lines from each other and did fluid come out. If not then it should not have air in it. How it would get in there. If you did then bleed the clutch. Playing with the adjustment is another story. I beliave if you put the car in neutral and push the pedal in, it should start. Even if the clutch is not releasing in netral it will just spin the trans, and there is not that much load on it so the starter should be able to spinn it. I dont beliave that adjustment is that much off with this clutch atleast it should not be. Make sure all electrical equipment is pluged in. MAKE SURE that your battery is fully charged and that you have gas in the car. And that neutral safty switch is working properly. Crank it and let us know what happens.

Does it crank? Does it have spark? Does it have fuel?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Images: 7
Reputation: yangs4ever4g63 is an unknown
It cranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
Hold on here. What did you do to the car and why? When you did the clutch install did you disconect any clutch lines from each other and did fluid come out. If not then it should not have air in it. How it would get in there. If you did then bleed the clutch. Playing with the adjustment is another story. I beliave if you put the car in neutral and push the pedal in, it should start. Even if the clutch is not releasing in netral it will just spin the trans, and there is not that much load on it so the starter should be able to spinn it. I dont beliave that adjustment is that much off with this clutch atleast it should not be. Make sure all electrical equipment is pluged in. MAKE SURE that your battery is fully charged and that you have gas in the car. And that neutral safty switch is working properly. Crank it and let us know what happens.

Does it crank? Does it have spark? Does it have fuel?
The motor cranks and sometimes it sounds like it will start but it won't. I just put new spark plugs in the other day also. They were already gapped to OEM specs. I also added fuel the other day and jumped it. The cranking got stronger after I charged the battery and added gas. But it still won't start. The clutch pedal is still light as a feather going up and down and I havn't had daylight time to TRY and adjust it and bleed the clutch line. I have to bleed it because I added a stainless steel braided line earlier. The gears are kinda hard to get into especially 5th and reverse! I added the 2piece bushings for the shifter cables and 8piece metal bushings for the shift console in the car. I've been keeping it in neutral everytime I try a startup but I'm not gonna try anymore because the clutch is not engaged or whatever you call it. I don't wanna do any unnecessary damage to the engine by starting it up numerous times with the clutch as light as a feather. Adjusting the clutch and bleeding it are the only solutions I'll have to try out right now. Everything else seems to be plugged back in and set to run. Hopefully a solution will arise and nothing is harmed during the process. If you have any ideas, please let me know.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 984
Images: 4
Reputation: BAMBAM is an unknown
By the make sure you didn't cut or forget to put a motor ground on some where. I did that on My mustang. That is why mine would not start. It would crank but not start. Just giving ideas. The clutch issue is not going to keep you from starting your car by the way. Also is there a check engine light on, if so get the code for it and it will tell you what you forgot to hook up.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Images: 7
Reputation: yangs4ever4g63 is an unknown
Oh yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
By the make sure you didn't cut or forget to put a motor ground on some where. I did that on My mustang. That is why mine would not start. It would crank but not start. Just giving ideas. The clutch issue is not going to keep you from starting your car by the way. Also is there a check engine light on, if so get the code for it and it will tell you what you forgot to hook up.
The check engine light does come on. *SERVICE ENGINE SOON*. Could it be the wires on top of the tranny are installed in the wrong switch? The loom connectors? I installed it to how it would go depending on the length of the loom connector. Hopefully I find the solution soon. If it could just start..then I know the clutch adjustment and bleeding is not the main problem. I'mma go work on it in a bit. Appreciate it man
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 984
Images: 4
Reputation: BAMBAM is an unknown
You need a scaner to find out what the code is. so go buy or rent or what ever to get one and see what the code is. That will help us solve the motor issue.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Images: 7
Reputation: yangs4ever4g63 is an unknown
all plugged up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
You need a scaner to find out what the code is. so go buy or rent or what ever to get one and see what the code is. That will help us solve the motor issue.
I just checked all the harnesses and they're all in the right places...Even the starter ground harness is in..Hmm, only thing I can do right now is adjust the clutch and bleed it. See what happens from then on. Let me know on any more advice so we can narrow it down. Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:16 AM.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2007 AutoForums.com - EVOtuners.net - All Rights Reserved.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.