Flywheel - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Drivetrain Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Drivetrain Tech Transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Flywheel

Hey, right now i am running an all stock 03 Evo. The only aftermarket part i have is an Ichiba turbo manifold. I am replacing my clutch in the next couple of weeks and i was wondering if i should get a new flywheel. I have looked at the ACT Prolite and have heard that they can reduce drive-ability. I have decided on the ACT Heavy Duty Organic Clutch. I guess the question is; will a lightweight flywheel give me as much performance as the $400 dollar tag takes, and if its worth the money and time?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodakevo View Post
Hey, right now i am running an all stock 03 Evo. The only aftermarket part i have is an Ichiba turbo manifold. I am replacing my clutch in the next couple of weeks and i was wondering if i should get a new flywheel. I have looked at the ACT Prolite and have heard that they can reduce drive-ability. I have decided on the ACT Heavy Duty Organic Clutch. I guess the question is; will a lightweight flywheel give me as much performance as the $400 dollar tag takes, and if its worth the money and time?
WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok now that is out don't do the organic. If you want ACT do the heavy duty Street clutch. alot even my self live by that. Also while you are there take out the restrictor at the clutch. http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...=3_4&tech_id=4

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Timeslip: 12.5 @ 111.28
Dynosheet: 334whp/312 lb-ft
Club Region: Midwest
Save your money. The stock flywheel is not much heavier (within 5 pounds) and the performance gain is not worth the money IMHO. The stock flywheel is cheaper and will last longer generally.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Timeslip: 12.6 @ 113
Dynosheet: 490whp/468 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
i was asking the same and my clutch is on the way

what the say is aftermarket flywheel will be harder to lunch so i didnt order it
Old 10-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

What is the problem with the ACT Heavy Duty Organic Clutch? Why shouldn't I buy it?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
What is the problem with the ACT Heavy Duty Organic Clutch? Why shouldn't I buy it?
Are you going to do any hard launching? If so I have read that it is not good for the drag strip. Also you should be asking what are you wanting to do to the car? is it a daily driver and some track time or what? Then also how much horses do you want to end up with one day. Because the heavy duty street is good for I think 550 or 600 I can't remember.
So that being said what do you want out of the car?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
sodakevo,
If your going to stay stock, and your stock flywheel is not warpped, just get the stock flywheel resurfaced. Throw in a stainless steel clutch line and remove the fluid restrictor in the slave cylinder and you'll be set for a while. If your going to upgrade some things, get a lighter flywheel.
A lighter flywheel isn't going to make driving or launching harder, it's just going to make it different then what you're used to.
"While you will need to slightly adjust your launch technique with a lighter flywheel, you will not loose torque or horsepower. A flywheel simply stores energy. The mass of spinning steel just makes it a little easier for your mom to get the car moving with out stalling the motor."
"With less horsepower used to get the flywheel spinning, that leaves more horsepower available to get the car moving down the road. Since our cars have plenty of power to spare, you don't need the stored energy of a heavy flywheel to get your EVO moving."
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/nonameclutch.htm
I have a ACT's Streetlite flywheel (13 lbs.) and it's alright. I wish I got RRE's, Gruppe's, or ACT's Prolite all weigh about 10 lbs. and I'm going to pick up one of them next time around.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well, my Evo is my daily driver. I only plan on about 350 - 400 horse when all is said and done. I just want my car to be able to handle most V-8's. Obviously it already does that but I want vettes and gt 500's to fear me. So, no. I don't do a lot of launchs. The only time i do is when someone needs to see what an Evo can do.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Pretty ambitious to say your going after a factory ten second car. That will take a little bit oh paper, scratch, scrilla, duckets.

Stock flywheel is a great piece of hardware. It weighs in at 14 lbs so it's light from the factory. it can handle alot of abuse. I personally would question the durability of an aftermarket flywheel, and if I was using one I would invest in a scattershield.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
Pretty ambitious to say your going after a factory ten second car. That will take a little bit oh paper, scratch, scrilla, duckets.

Stock flywheel is a great piece of hardware. It weighs in at 14 lbs so it's light from the factory. it can handle alot of abuse. I personally would question the durability of an aftermarket flywheel, and if I was using one I would invest in a scattershield.
Good point. See you are looking for what most of us hear want 350 to 400 so I would stick with stock Flywheel and stay away from organic clutchs. Just my 2 cents. I have been drag racing for 13 years so launching I know what a clutch looks like and trust me you do not want that organic "I think it will fold under the pressure it will under go when launched hard." It is your choice that is why is is nice to have all these after market products. I hope i helped you out.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Timeslip: 12.6 @ 113
Dynosheet: 490whp/468 lb-ft
Quote:
go with the street ACT its good for 500Tq but the other one its really not good for a daily car it will be alot of pain hard to drive and its good for 600+ Tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement