launching an evo - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Drivetrain Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Drivetrain Tech Transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 05 EVO
Club Region: Southwest
launching an evo

Hey guys, i just did a clutch swap on my 05 evo, exedy stage one with HD pressure plate, and i had a question. i've already boken in the clutch, about 1200 miles on it, but i cant seem to launch it right. i've launched it only 3 times, once at about 4k rpm and the other two at 5k, and all three times i get the burning clutch smell. i launch it by riding the clutch a bit till the car starts to build boost then i let go almost dropping the pedal. i've tried researching this topic as much as i could but get mixed input, so i'd like to ask the evo drivers who race and launch their cars without any big problems like going through clutches every few months. so my questions are, what is a good way to launch my evo without going through clutches fast and without breaking any drivetrain components? and, should there be any burnt clutch smell? i do all the maintenence on my car and it doesnt make any unusual noises so i'm ok there and the only mod i have at the moment is a tbe. i'll stay away from launching for now, thanks for your input

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
wow your doing it way wrong. and the 05's have launch control from the factory.

first off there are only a few outcomes with launching

1. you do it right, you smell a tiny bit of clutch
2. you do it wrong and bog hard.
3. you do it way wrong and your buying new diffs.

WARNING: NEVER JUST DUMP THE CLUTCH ON A LAUNCH!

this is how i did mine and any other evo with launch control.

-Make sure your at a complete stop
-Push the clutch pedal to the floor
-floor the gas pedal
-watch RPMS raise and bounce at 5k (factory limit 05 evo and up, or to the RPM your tune is set for typically 6k to build 12-15psi)
-slowly let out the clutch until the car starts to move foward
-Once the car slightly moves foward slip the clutch fast
-Prepared for 2nd gear its coming fast

Disclaimer: If your car is not a drag car I would really rarely launch it, due to the extreme stress it puts on the drivetrain and if you mess up you are going to shell out a lot of money.

Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Wow i'm glad i asked. i will try that, i had no idea my car came with launch control. i hardly ever launch it but it will see the track so i need to practice and i dont want to buy another clutch and/or drivetrain parts. thanks a lot for your help and saving me from buying a new clutch

Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

to test and make sure where your launch control or 2step is set at, stop your car, put the car in nuetral and just push the gas pedal to the floor, it should bounce at the rpm its set at. once the vehicle sees speed in the ecu it will let you rev it out thats is how the launch control is set to work.

I cut a 1.6 60ft with bald tires and slipping clutch on my last drag outting. my car was basic bolt ons and tuned with launch control set at 6k so I could build 12-15psi off the line.

Good luck and dont break anything, like i said limit your launches if you dont have the money to out for a new clutch and/or center diff.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Thanks for your help siclanevo, i tried what you said and my launch is set at 5k rpm, i've only launched it a few times to get the feel for it. it builds about 4-5lbs of boost and so far i think i got a feel for it, not much clutch smell and the car takes off great! i'll stay away from launching for the most part until i can take it to the track. for now i have another problem that i have to fix. i saw your post about your new car siclanevo, i work for honda but we also work on hyudai so i see the genesis all day and know what they all about. i hope you enjoy your new car thanks again for your help!

Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am glad you figured out the launch, just only do it when neccessary. My new car is great and its got almost all the bolt on mods done already.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement