lsd?? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Drivetrain Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Drivetrain Tech Transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

lsd??

hey guys quick question about the lsd's for the evo's i keep hearing that after putting out a serious amount of power u might need to upgrade the diffs... but when i was researching up on it they gave me three diffrent options a 1 way, 1.5 and 2 way what my questions are what are the diffrence in these settings besides the price hahaha lol..... but seriously i want to know before i go and purchuse one and what setting would be best for the evo.... thanks guys
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Well, hold on, are you talking about getting something like a Quaife diff? How much power will you be making. Usually, it's not that you need to upgrade the diff due to making too much power, but rather because a non-LSD diff sucks for traction. All you really need is an OEM diff like the ones on the 05-06s (all models) and 04 RS. You don't have to worry about breaking your diffs until you're making 500+whp and launching from 7k while going for a 10-sec 1/4-mile.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh okay, thanks for the info, Warrtalon. That's really useful because I was thinking of purchasing one but wasn't sure about it. You said get an OEM Front LSD from any 05-06 model or an 04 RS. So, what is different about the 04 VIIIs - are they weaker?

Also, just so I know, what is the difference between that 1, 1.5, or 2-way??

Last edited by Warrtalon; 01-22-2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Atrocious spelling, punctuation, grammar, diction, and abbreviating of 3-letter words

Old 01-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

03-04s got a non-LSD front diff. Only the RS model in 04 got the LSD, and that's because it was a special racing model, but then all 05s and 06s got that same LSD front diff.

I don't know about the different aftermarket diffs, sorry.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

so only the front diff's don't have lsd??. what about the rear diff's how goos are they. how much of a load can they handel?... because if i do chnage my front diff then i also want to check on my rear as well. also do you know by any chance how much the front diffrential's run??
Old 01-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

*sigh* 3 tries, and you can't manage to write somewhat normal sentences? Did you not read my PMs?

We're only talking about the front diff when we reference LSD. You don't need to worry about your rear diff until you're making over 500whp. Don't worry about your rear diff - fix your t-case.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
So Warr it would be possible to swap a 05 Diff into my 03? I searched for the answer and I get mixed answers. I have a whole 05 TC in tact that I got for nothing, I would like to use the LSD from the 05 in my 03 but I need to know if there are any inssues in doing so. So far your posts in this thread have been helpful.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

You got an 05 TC that is worth over $1000 for nothing? That is some extreme luck there...

I don't know enough about the internal mechanics of the trannies to tell you exactly. I bet Fourdoor could answer this in a heartbeat. I'm pretty sure the front diff is INSIDE the transmission, so having an 05 TC wouldn't matter. With an 05 TC, you'd have to worry about not having ACD maybe, but I'm not sure. It's all quite confusing. I'll try to get Keith to straighten it all out for us.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you Warr, If anyone would come threw it would be you and Fourdoor. I have heard yes the diff fits right in the 03 TC and I have heard no you need the whole 05 TC. Yes I got a 05 TC for nothing it retails for almost $4k new. I know the TC between 03 and 05 are different part numbers because of the ACD. I just need to know what to do when I put in my clutch, whether it be swap the 05 TC in or just swap the diff. This is my dilemma.

Sorry to thread jack here, but It was a good opening thread and I was about to post my question.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

This is all relevant, so no worries.

I still think the front diff is in the tranny. If it's in the TC, then I'm really confused, but I am pretty sure Keith will know all of this for sure. I already PM'd him to come help us out in this thread and clear up my confusion.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well i took apart the 05 TC to confirm what shape it was in and there is a diff in it, but I'm no mechanic. My head tech here at work did confirm that is was in perfect shape though.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 05 EVO
Timeslip: 12.8 @ 109
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
LSD? For AWD? I Never heared for AWD limited slip differential control! Why do you needed for AWD!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05evo View Post
LSD? For AWD? I Never heared for AWD limited slip differential control! Why do you needed for AWD!!!
What do you think is in your car? You would need it for better traction and less wheel hop.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05evo View Post
having an 05 you wouldnt have experienced it, but come do an autox with me, feel the inside front wheel spin as I come out of a corner and you'll know why Im dying for a front diff.

as for the different types of after market diffs, I believe the differences are in how aggressively it "grabs" on accel and decel. a one way diff grabs hard on accel, but allows wheel speed difference on decel. the 1.5 is the same on accel, but will match wheel speed some on decel. a full 2 way diff is very close to a locked differential, it is is always trying(sometimes very aggressively) to maintain the same wheel speeds, on accel and decel. drifters like 2 way diffs because they (the diff) will upset the car quickly and easily, and as long as you are powering through, will grab really well. I think most road racers go with a 1.5 because it has a smoother operation on setting up for turns.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzie604 View Post
having an 05 you wouldnt have experienced it, but come do an autox with me, feel the inside front wheel spin as I come out of a corner and you'll know why Im dying for a front diff.

as for the different types of after market diffs, I believe the differences are in how aggressively it "grabs" on accel and decel. a one way diff grabs hard on accel, but allows wheel speed difference on decel. the 1.5 is the same on accel, but will match wheel speed some on decel. a full 2 way diff is very close to a locked differential, it is is always trying(sometimes very aggressively) to maintain the same wheel speeds, on accel and decel. drifters like 2 way diffs because they (the diff) will upset the car quickly and easily, and as long as you are powering through, will grab really well. I think most road racers go with a 1.5 because it has a smoother operation on setting up for turns.
Sorry for the delay in answer, I was doing lots of work plus preperations for my trip up to Buschur Racing and ignored my "web life" for the past week.

Jazzie is 100% correct about the defenitions of 1 way, 1.5 way, and 2 way limited slip differentials. We have a 1.5 way mechanical diff in the rear, a torsen style front limited slip unit, and the center differential is an open diff with a limited slip unit either in the form of a viscouse coupling, or a wet style clutch pack controled by the Active Center Differential computer.

The center differential is housed in the transmission and the front differential is housed in the transfer case. It is my understanding that the limited slip front differential and open front differential are a direct swap. You would just need to pull out the front differential assembly from the "doner" transfer case assembly and instal it into your current transfer case.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement