slippage - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Drivetrain Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Drivetrain Tech Transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: NorCal
Send a message via AIM to Lancevo9
slippage

so my clutch is slipping and i need to buy a new clutch but im not really sure where i should start looking.. can anyone make any suggestions for me? i have an evo 9 SE 35k miles and im looking for a clutch thats around 500 dollars.. is hat all i need to buy? or do i also need a flywheel?
it just started about 3 days ago.. would it be totally bad if i kept driving easy on it for a lil while longer til i get a new clutch?
and is it fairly easy to replace the clutch yourself? and is it possible if anybody have a tutorial of how to do it can i see it?

thanks!!

Last edited by Lancevo9; 07-02-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: forgot someting
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
how bad is it slipping? is it only when your really putting your foot into it? You should be ok to drive it as long as its not slipping under normal driving. stay out of boost and no aggressive driving and it will last, you just cant have any fun.

do you want a stock clutch or a performance clutch? check out GRUPPE-S, they have sme package deals. i have been running there flywheel and exedy singe stage kit for almost 80k and it still pulls hard as hell and doesn't slip. If you have major mods then you need to spend some money on a nice heavy duty clutch. you will need to buy a flywheel or have it resurfaced. a clutch job on a evo is not for the faint of heart and not for someone who has never done one, dealer charges anywhere from 8-13 hours of labor to do it. Do you have a lift at your house? (its not needed but will make life so much easier) do you have a couple friends that can help you? do you have a good air compressor and tools? Do you have another car you can drive while your putting the clutch in?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

it usually slips when it gets into 3300 and goes up to around 4200 then it sorta grips but it seems to have more trouble when im going up hill..when does the boost usually kick in? how long will it last?

the problem also is i dont know exactly what kind of things are dones to it since i just got it and its been modded by the last person that had it i could probably tell you exactly what i have but i wouldnt know what would deal with the clutch..

i know its a stage one clutch already.
if i drive it easy how long do you think i have until i really need one?

me and my friends have our own race crew what we have air compressors a few floor jacks but no i dont have another car i can drive at the time..

if i were to do it with my friends how long does it usually take to swap it out?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
it is going to take you a while to swap it if you have never done it. I work on my own car but this was the only thing i left to professionals....are you flowing it when it slips at 3300rpms? is it only in a certain gear? So it was a used evo IX with mods already....this can be a bad thing since you dont know the true history of the car. try to get a mod list. Drive slow and dont push it and it will hold out for a while. in order to do the clutch you need to remove part of the driveshaft, t-case, and tranny and this is at the least, lol.....it is a very time consuming process and can be a major pita. has anyone in your crew ever changed out a clutch in a evo or a AWD dsm? We did mine in 4 hours with 4 people and with every tool known to man and a lift
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

im pretty sure one of my friends have swapped one out before since a few of my friends have a salvaged car and put it all back together.. and well when i try to accelerate to that certain rpm to get speed it'll do it but if i seem to push it a lil bit it doesnt change it that much... and it does it with all the gears except on one cuz i shift at 3k rpm so i dont really know about that

all my friends own subies nissans and GTi's one of my other friends have an evo salvaged but i dunno if hes done anything to his clutch so ill have to ask...

im not sure if i can get a mod list...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement